Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

great!! hopefully this new information puts all the whining to rest although reading these forums i DOUBT that will happen

Highlighted
Journeyman

What NEW information? I was told by a Sprint tech all nexus phones would be updated by Christmas, last year....tentative date..smdh..

We still have no idea, if or when.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was told the same thing. Instead we got a lump of coal LOL!!!  I'm not all that tech smart.  Will Wimax go away after 2013?

Highlighted
Journeyman

and do you think the next Nexus device will come from Motorola/Google in 2013?

Highlighted
Journeyman

RLCOLLECTOR68 wrote:

I was asked not to provide a date because ICS release might be pushed out again. I do not want to say it will be next week and then something is found in testing where Google has to push it out another week or two. A tentative date is better than nothing and lets everyone know that Google & Samsung has provided us a date for the roll out.

I think this is where Sprint doesn't understand its customer base.  A tentative date is better than NO date.  We can live with being given a tentative date and having it pushed out another week or two -- as long as we are told.

Just telling us that you have a tentative date -- and not telling us -- is essentially telling us nothing.  It continues to keep us in the dark and telling us that someday the light will come on and that you cannot tell us when that is.

This is what I have been "whining" about all along.

I do not care if it takes one week or one year to get ICS to us.That has never really been the issue for me.  It takes however long it takes.  What I do object to is not being told anything, or being teased with a message like "don't worry, I know when it might happen but I can't tell you".

It is better that Sprint give us the tentative date, and if it gets pushed back a week or so, that they come back and tell us.  We can handle that a LOT better than just not telling us anything and let us see the news of OTHER carriers with their timetables and other phones from other manufacturers starting to receive their updates -- ahead of the phones that we were told would receive those upgrades first.

We tend to be loyal to a company that at least tries to keep us in the loop, over a company that doesn't tell us anything. 

When I have a problem with my phone and Sprint's own repair center tells me that I just have to wait for ICS to come out to fix that problem, and then they can't tell me IF or give me an idea of WHEN,  then something is wrong.  And that makes me a "whiner".

Highlighted
Journeyman

actually some could argue that if sprint releases a date of arrival, a lot of hype will build up, and if (under the unfortunate circumstance) that date of arrival must be delayed again, the backlash would be far worse than if they hadn't announced it in the first place...

don't believe me? look at the response to when february 16th was announced as a possible date of arrival and it didn't happen, people get their hopes built up and then get angry and frustrated (understandably so) when it doesn't happen. you wanted to know "if" it would land and the sprint employee has confirmed that icecream sandwich will land.

Highlighted
Journeyman

fahadh wrote:

actually some could argue that if sprint releases a date of arrival, a lot of hype will build up, and if (under the unfortunate circumstance) that date of arrival must be delayed again, the backlash would be far worse than if they hadn't announced it in the first place...

don't believe me? look at the response to when february 16th was announced as a possible date of arrival and it didn't happen, people get their hopes built up and then get angry and frustrated (understandably so) when it doesn't happen. you wanted to know "if" it would land and the sprint employee has confirmed that icecream sandwich will land.

Sure, some could argue that -- if they were looking to argue.  But there is a difference between telling your customers a date certain and a tentative or target date.

Your February 16th example appeared as a rock-solid date.  It showed a graphic purported to be from an intranet Sprint page that said that ICS was going to start rolling out the following day.  It wasn't officially released, nor do we know if it was even real.  (perhaps we can get a "birther" with their mad photoshop skills to tell us if it is a fake or not)

A tentative or target date is just that: a goal, or something to aim towards.  Yes, it would get our hopes up and all that, but if the date came and went with an explanation and a revised goal date, then it puts everyone back at ease again -- because the company was engaged.

We received the February 16 thing through another website that claimed that they had a "reliable" mole or informant deep in the bowels of Sprint.  (dramatic license, but you get the gist)  From all that we were allowed to extrapolate a "for certain event" when none really existed.

Now, speaking for myself, I think it is a lot better to be told a tentative date (and made aware that it was only tentative) and not have that date fulfilled, than to not be told ANYTHING and have to get whatever information trickles in from outside sources no matter how real it is or not.

I find it really interesting that with that February 16th "leaked" screen dump, Sprint didn't bother to come out and say "hey wait a minute here..."  Instead, the chose to continue to keep quiet and let us fume amongst ourselves.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello djallynrules, I personally would enjoy a tentative release date to daydream about, but unfortunately with software updates, especially with a new version of the operating system releasing a tentative, or solid release date could prove difficult, as they cannot be certain of all of the hurdles that they will have to overcome. the February 16th release date never came across my desk, and I would be inclined to say that this was false information. I too hope to see ICS released by google for the nexus, and for HTC to release for the phones they committed to on their Facebook web log.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Hello djallynrules, I personally would enjoy a tentative release date to daydream about, but unfortunately with software updates, especially with a new version of the operating system releasing a tentative, or solid release date could prove difficult, as they cannot be certain of all of the hurdles that they will have to overcome. the February 16th release date never came across my desk, and I would be inclined to say that this was false information. I too hope to see ICS released by google for the nexus, and for HTC to release for the phones they committed to on their Facebook web log.

Yet we have one Sprint guy telling us here that he has a tentative release date already.  But he can't or won't tell us what that is. I don't see anything "difficult" about telling us what that date is -- as long as you made it clear that it is only tentative and subject to change.

I always assumed that the February 16th thing was fake.  What I was amazed at was that Sprint allowed it to hang out there without commenting on it.

Your last sentence is interesting though.  "I too hope to see ICS released by google for the nexus..." seems to back up what I have been saying here for the past week or so -- that even Sprint can no longer say that ICS will be released for the Nexus S 4G. 

I think that pretty much tells me all I need to know now.  I will just replace the phone for something that works better and not wait for the ICS fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been trying to ignore this but i cant take it anymore....guys if you are going to buy that they can't get ICS on this then you are 1. not tech savy and dont understand/relaize ICS works great on this device (look at all the custom roms) 2. drank Sprints koolaid and are now breainwashed into thinking in order to get the next best thing you have to get the new device 3. totally out of touch with this phone.  Yeah it sucks Sprint wont give out a tenitive date so people can see what is being released around that time or before. They are waiting for the Nexus to release before updating, granted this is speculation but history shows that the newest OS wont be release for current devices until after a device with it stock is released.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I'm not saying that it would be difficult telling you a release date if there were one, but saying that it would be difficult to calculate a release date tentative, or otherwise as the project may have unanticipated hitches, apart from the fact that it's being developed and released by an entirely separate company. You have entirely misconstrued that statement, it is a statement of anticipation as I hope to update to ICS soon.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am opting out of receiving these forum notifications.  ALOT of whining!!!  You will get the ICS update when you get it.  I dont remember seeing an ICS update clause on my Sprint contract when I signed it. Salesman are salesman... so, if you bought the phone saying you were deceived... then get another phone.  I hear iphones release software updates too.  But wait, didnt one of their releases last year break some iphones? Something that had to do with draining the batter? So, they stopped it! Sound familiar??  Stop the whining and wait!!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat