cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

I am really disappointed that this hasn't been released yet. It should have been rolled out prior to Christmas. I am growing frustrated again with the lack of follow through on customer commitments from Sprint. I bought this phone so it wouldn't be handicaped with junk software from Sprint or Samsung. My friends with T-mobile service all had their ICS updates before Christmas.

Where's the transparency in the release date?

Why is Sprint 3-months behind T-mobile?

Is the only way to have a secure, up to date phone to root it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

go to the sprint shop page find the nexus s phone and if you look to the side the operating system says ships with android 2.3 but if you look at the icons in middle of page... scroll over the very first one which is the android one and just keep your mouse there for a sec... it then says SHIPS WITH ANDROID 4.0!!!!!!!! anyone been to a store to see if they have one that says that????

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's right!  It says that it ships with Android 4.0.

Android 4.0

Ships with the Android 4.0 platform including access to Android Market with thousands of the hottest apps, games and widgets. Plus seamless integration with Google apps like Gmail, Contacts, Calendar and Google Maps.    ree

So I just drove down to the Sprint store down the street and they said they know "nothing about it", and that all of their phone stock are still Android 2.3.

I really have to unsubscribe to this thread.  All it is doing is blowing up my blood pressure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sprint is just a big disapointment in my book, the nexus phone is a pure google phone, it should have the latest software install at al times. how is it that T mobile can do it and sprint can't. i say if they're going to carry the phone, they should keep it up to date.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Crucian i woke up this morning to discover tha the HTC VIVID is getting ICS in the next week or so. Very disappointed in sprint and i maybe taking my busines else where. Its not fact we dont have it but more about NOTHING from this company or google with regards to an update but as i have said and many others have said the real reason why is because sprint is holding out for the Galaxy Nexus phone. They know it good portion of nexus users will ditch just get on this phone and silence is golden to them. Good Bye Sprint and looking forward to heading back to AT&T and please posters spare me with the higher prices and datacaps complaints about AT&T i will get a corp discount plus i dont use that much data per month anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess somebody at Sprint didn't get the memo about that ICS update getting cancelled.  When you click the little android on the description page it still advertises Android 4.0.

ics.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

@wanderer2012 - Google hasn't released a stable version of ICS for any of the Nexus S phones yet. Not T-Mobile, not AT&T and certainly not Sprint. The GSM build that was released around Christmas was rolled out by mistake. Google knew about the high CPU usage and high battery drain bugs before the rollout began. It showed up in their internal testing after they rolled the ICS update out to Google employee's Nexus S phones. There was a huge miscommunication internally at Google.

@iVoidWarranties - Google hasn't cancelled the ICS update. Your info is totally 100% wrong. Once the Galaxy Nexus phone is released to all of the USA carriers that want it and all of the bugs have been worked out on the Galaxy Nexus phones then the ICS update will be rolled out to all Nexus S phones, both CDMA and GSM. This is standard policy at Google and it is exactly what happened with the Nexus One's Gingerbread update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was referring to that update that was originally scheduled for 2/16.  Around that time Sprint's Nexus S page started advertising that it "ships with Android 4.0" when you click the android icon.  They cancelled the update but didn't remove the (currently false) information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They didn't cancel the Feb 16 update. It happened exactly as planned. The update was an internal beta release of ICS, not a release for the general public.

Highlighted
Journeyman

techguy379 wrote:

They didn't cancel the Feb 16 update. It happened exactly as planned. The update was an internal beta release of ICS, not a release for the general public.

And just how did that go?

Do you not understand why we are upset here?  It isn't so much that we don't have ICS, it's that we aren't being told a [...]thing other than hearsay, speculation, and in some cases outright fabrication by third parties.

We see that ICS is being scheduled for release on other, non-Google phones by other carriers and meanwhile Google, Sprint, and Samsung are not saying a thing about their own flagship phones that they promised would be the first ones to receive ICS.

We want to be informed -- by Sprint, Google, and Samsung.  We want to know where we are at on all of this.  Just telling us "soon" (or now in the case of Samsung, "IF") no longer cuts it.  Not when you have Verizon and others coming out with actual timetables and numerous models that are slated to receive ICS.

The silence on the Nexus S 4G is now deafening. I[....]  Either tell us a realistic time frame or level with us if they are abandoning their plans to upgrade to ICS for the Nexus S 4G.  Stringing us along any further is only going to make us madder, and will most likely cause us to drop Sprint and Android like a rock the moment our contracts are up.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) the ICS update is not in Sprint's hands but GOOGLE'S as has been proven on this forum several times THUS your complaints are misdirected.

2) "Sprint has their sales staff PUSH the Nexus S 4G over their other phones, telling us that because these were "pure Google" phones that there wouldn't be any fluff or stuff on these units and that whenever Google released updates and their new OS, that the Nexus S 4G would be first to get those updates."

Is there any fluff or stuff on the nexus s 4g? NO!

Has ICS been released on any other phone yet besides Galaxy Nexus? NO!

THEREFORE, were you lied to and do you have any grounds to complain? NO!

3) "So we bought them, and we waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.  ICS was released and we continued to wait.  Versions are "leaked", fake web site screen shots are distributed.  And we STILL wait. What are we waiting for?  Well, the bare minimum would be some word coming directly from Sprint, Google, or Samsung.  You know, some kind of status report, explaining what heck is going on.  Maybe even a timeline, like Verizon released today. Or... if Google/Samsung/Sprint have come to the decision NOT to release ICS to the Nexus S 4G, they should come out and say so, that way we can decide whether to make do with what we have or just go in another direction"

There is no contractual obligation for anyone to inform you of every move that a software update requires...google is working on releasing the nexus s update and we will get it when we get it. SPRINT and SAMSUNG know nothing more than this, please get this through your head. Verizon released a timeline (just like Sprint did when you were sold the nexus s 4g), it is a POSSIBLE timeline and there is a POSSIBILITY of delays in verizon rolling out the ICS updates. IF Verizon is to update their non-nexus android phones before the nexus s 4g gets its update, then by all means you can complain...HOWEVER, UNTIL verizon releases the ICS update to those phones, you have absolutely ZERO proof or validation that ICS is coming to any verizon phone before yours...

4) Root access can be added and then removed, it is not PERMANENT, so if you needed to get the phone replaced under warranty, you can REMOVE root access and turn it back to factory default as if it was never there to begin with. IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE AND IT DOES NOT TURN ON, then sprint will not be able to turn the phone on either and they will not be able to tell whether the phone had been rooted. this is mostly for your information.

5) I thought you had already purchased a different phone through retentions? Are you just trolling here or were you lying about getting a different phone then?

6) the nexus s 4g will not be abandoned as you suggest. it is google's flagship device and will receive the next iteration of android. That is a promise made by GOOGLE, not sprint. Look at the history of the nexus line, nexus one received the gingerbread update and was DELAYED for a few months, but it was still the first device other than nexus s to have gingerbread....

conclusion: until other phones that are non-nexus devices receive ICS update, no "timeframe" released from verizon or "speculation" that YOU YOURSELF are quoting will qualify as grounds for you to complain about getting a device!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

[....] Here is an article discussing the verizon announcement. The only thing verizon announced was the list of phones that are slated to receive the ICS update

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Verizon-ICS-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Android-Upgrade,news-14386.html

please read the entire source of information before you reply:

"Verizon did not specify as to when the listed devices will actually receive the Andriod 4.0 update.]

[....]

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed statements which were not adhering to the Community Guidelines

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat