cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

@smurfin --- I have been saying it all along and i wish the reps and sprint was just say so. You are exactly right and Sprint knows when that galaxy nexus is release they will get a lot of nexus owners calling to get that phone and sign them on a new contract. Thats why they are implementing this early upgrade feature. Notice how when it was annouced that people who tried get the early upgrade it wasnt working but i bet when that phone is released it will all suden go into affect.

Guess what Sprint i will not upgrade to this phone as im as good as gone.

E

Journeyman

Switching to another carrier won't necessarily get you ICS any faster. T-Mobile and AT&T's Nexus S phones haven't even gotten ICS yet. Also, the Sprint Galaxy Nexus phone is a 3G only phone. Does anyone really want to give up their faster 4G Nexus S phone which will be getting ICS very, very soon for a 3G Galaxy Nexus?

Journeyman

You still aren't getting the point, are you?

It is about PERCEPTION, and the PERCEPTION is that we are being lied to.  Whether that is the reality or not, we don't know, because there has been no attempt by the three companies involved in all of this -- Sprint, Google, or Samsun -- to dispell our perception.

Forget for the moment that you are correct and that ICS is not yet available on most phones.  Let's just address the fact that when we were sold these phones, we were told that they were being upgraded to ICS within weeks.  THAT was the lie, or at least the perception of the lie.  The funny thing is, the Sprint stores are STILL pushing the Nexus S phone with that lie.

Why is it a "lie"?  Because as many of the sychophants here have pointed out, NOBODY knows when ICS is being released to the Nexus S 4G, and for the most part they are only guessing as to IF.  Even Samsung, the manufacturer of the phone cannot say IF this phone is going to eventually get it.  If you go to their website and look through their forum where people are asking about upgrades to ICS, they started out by saying that it would be "soon".  Now their answer is that they "cannot comment on when or even if an update will come." That seems to be a rather strange change in position, don't you think?  Coming from the manufacturer of the phone itself?  That they won't even comment on the "IF"?  Why mention it at all if there wasn't a question as to the "IF"?

The ONLY news we hear are rumors and false starts.  We see an article telling us that we are getting ICS on February 16th.  It doesn't happen.  We see articles talking about OTHER phones that are about ready to get ICS and Nexus S isn't even listed.  Throughout it all, there is no official messaging going on.  It adds to the frustration level, and you wonder why we are bent out of shape over it.

In a situation  like this, silence is NOT golden.  It is toxic.  It gives off the perception that the company doesn't care and / or the customer doesn't matter.  We were told something when we bought the phone, being implied or promised.  Sprint gave us the perception that we were going to have this long before now.  And once we bought the phone, it is like they are ducking our calls.  They got what THEY wanted -- a sale and a contract.  We only got half of what WE wanted and are still waiting on the rest.

I don't mind waiting -- I really don't.  But I don't like waiting in the dark, and that is what we are doing.  We are waiting in the dark, confronted with conflicting news and rumors,  and there is nothing coming from the source that would put ALL of this crap to rest.

Overall, THIS is what most of us are complaining about.  All we are looking for is some kind of official notice -- a progress report, something.  And if the powers to be have decided that the Nexus S 4G is NOT going to get an official release of ICS, then they need to come out and tell us now, so WE can decide whether to dump what we have and go with something else, keep what we have, or install it ourselves and hope for the best.

I am wondering what this forum is good for.  It seems to me that it's purpose should be for Sprint to use it to guage customer satisfaction.  But I don't think they even bother checking it out, or if they do, they just don't give a damn.

Journeyman

Ok, I'm getting sick of all the condescended remarks, and calling people whiners and such. To even say such a thing in this situation implies you aren't even a consumer. And I say this because unless you bought an unlocked Nexus S 4G your phone came with a two year obligation with Sprint, and I'm sure by now everyone involved with this forum KNOW how they promote it. Also if you follow the phone itself you know that the frequency #'s?¿(don't be an a$$, I'm no techy and you know what I mean) have to be 'tweaked' on almost an individual basis, for about half the handsets out there.

To have Sprint tell us that ICS would remedy the reception issues with this phone(and according to the reviews it DOES) and then shut down completely on anything about our phone, other than indirectly say that your phone is going to be obsolete soon, because we are going LTE. OR, to have Google say that our phone, though still Nexus, is not a 'pure Google' device, and cannot be fully supported by them( but they will still push the updates)wth.......

We all feel the big IF in the air, and how much patience should we have? We've already bought the ding dang phone, we pay about $100 bucks per line every month, why should we settle for less than we paid for ? Some of us wouldn't even know anything about ICS if it weren't for a Sprint tech passing the buck to Google.

We have every right to demand what we believe we paid for, and as responsible consumer we have an obligation to voice our satisfaction or dissatisfaction in this matter, because that is the only way people can make an informed decision.

Me, unless Sprint says they recognize our phone as developer devices, and rooting won't void our warranties, I sit back and hope it happens, if it doesn't, I'll just root my phone for the time being and take my business elsewhere at the first opportunity.

Finally, why would a non representative of neither Sprint OR Google be on THIS forum addressing OUR issues, and why would we waste our energies debating with them???????????????? IF SPRINT HAS NOTHING TO SAY WHY SHOULD YOU !!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

We? Us? Not sure when I gave you authority to speak for ME.

I've had my NS4G since release. I researched it and knew exactly what I was getting. Sprint never mis-led me. In fact, I knew more about the phone than the Sprint store .

I could go on, but what's the use. I love my NS4G and will be quite happy if it ends up staying on Gingerbread, which I've reverted back to. Anything is better than the Samsung Moment I came from.

Journeyman

aysdojo wrote:

We? Us? Not sure when I gave you authority to speak for ME..

I wasn't aware that I WAS speaking for you.

I've had my NS4G since release. I researched it and knew exactly what I was getting. Sprint never mis-led me. In fact, I knew more about the phone than the Sprint store .

I am happy that you are happy, and that YOUR experience has been a blissful one.  For a lot of us -- and I am lumping "us" together because we appear to have the same complaint -- our experience hasn't been quite the state of nirvana that you seem to enjoy.

Perhaps you did research your phone and settled for what you got.  Bully for you!  That was YOUR experience, but please don't dismiss OUR experience because you are willing to settle for less.

Maybe you WEREN'T promised or were made to believe that we were going to get an upgrade almost immediately.  You weren't there, you apparently didn't get subjected to the same selling points that a lot of other of us had.

The fact that your phone works great on GB is good also.  Some of us are even having issues with that.

The bottom line is, your experience sounds like a good one -- and good for you.  But you are being dismissive to those of us who aren't having quite the same warm and fuzzy experience that you are.

Journeyman

I'm not being dismissive. [...] Like you, I'm entitled to share my opinions here just like you ,without you having to find fault and argue my points.[ ...]

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

Look at the subject of this thread -- more than a few of us are upset about what we consider to be a serious problem.  Unlike you, we were sold something that has yet to be delivered and are now being completely ignored by the company that misrepresented their product when they sold it to us.

Now, you might have had a different experience and that's fine.  We haven't and we want some answers.  If what we are complaining about doesn't apply to you, then [...] stay out of it.

And yes, I do need to reply here.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease, if you know what I mean. If you expect me to kick back and just let Sprint ignore me, then you are sadly mistaken.

[....]

Journeyman

[...]

Back on subject, "hey somebody, when is ICS due out?"

[...]

Journeyman

[...]

But since I am here, let me show an example of what Samsung, Google, and Sprint  should have been doing all this time  Motorola is able to give SOME kind of a status and tentative time table to its product, subject of course to unforeseen issues and carrier restrictions.

This is all that I am asking for from Samsung, Google, and Sprint.  Just some kind of keep us in the loop message. 

They don't even have to be all that specific.  Just an update would be nice.

Journeyman

@djallynrules - Sprint just recently announced that Google is releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for the Nexus S 4G phone. Your phone will be getting it soon.

Journeyman

While many of your points are valid and your evidence is leading and I am sure your frustration is real, the level of communication and conversation in this thread has devolved to a maturity level lower than a group of Kindergardeners who need their naps and missed the 10am juice and cookie snack.

Can we PLEASE stop talking about who is defensive, dismissive, sensitive  and who got their itty bitty feelings hurt and it feels like a boo boo in their head..

and just stick to the topic of ICS on N4GS?

We've already established there isn't free speech here and even if you COULD say anything you want, it doesn't mean you SHOULD say anything you want.

And please, don't start flaming me and this post because I tried to do the courteous thing and get the train back on track.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat