cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Nexus One is Dead - Long live the Evo....

Journeyman

The Nexus One is Dead - Long live the Evo....

Sprint has announced that it will not carry the Nexus One:

http://phandroid.com/2010/05/10/no-hope-for-cdma-nexus-one-will-not-come-to-sprint/

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: The Nexus One is Dead - Long live the Evo....

Well, since I'm not waiting on the nexus one anymore...time to go shop around somewhere that is actually offering a current Android phone.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Journeyman

Yes, I hear your pain. Of course, as the article mentions, it may mean that the N2 is closer to introduction than we think.

I believe there still needs to be room for a pure Android operating system that gets upgrades directly from Google.

Journeyman

Sprint is afraid to give up control. The Nexus One will be on 3.0 and the EVO will still be on 2.2.

Patron

Ugh!  This is horrible news.  The EVO is not a suitable replacement for a flagship phone from Google.  T-Mobile looks like the only realistic choice for people who want an open Android device that won't lag behind in software updates (well, there's AT&T too but their plans aren't very good).

Message was edited by: case1024

Journeyman

Yeah, and Verizon will give me a year contract on the Incredible while I wait for the n2 to get sorted out. The EVO looks cool and all, but it's gonna be frakkin huge. Seems like all of Sprints Android phones are built like bricks. Very Robust they are.

Journeyman

If you look at the T-Mobile HTC HD2 (which is the same size as the Evo), you will see that the Evo is not much larger than the iPhone.

Also, here is a photo comparison of the Nexus One, Evo, and iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/htc-evo-4g-vs-iphone-vs-nexus-one-0/#2826096

I guess it all is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the very thin Evo is a not that large of a phone.

Journeyman

If this is true, it's a terrible, terrible decision, and Sprint will have diminished themselves in my eyes. I'll play their game and buy the phone they've dictated I must own instead of the one I want, but I will do so without renewing my contract. Yes, I'm willing to spend more for the EVO to regain some of the freedom they've stolen by denying me the N1. If/when Google introduces the next version of their phone on a different network, Sprint may find itself short yet another customer.

I don't deny that the EVO looks like a great phone, but it's not the one I want. Carriers will have to learn at some point that one size does not always fit all, no matter how hard they try to make them fit.

Journeyman

I had a bad feeling about this over the last few weeks - so on Sunday, I made the jump to T-Mobile with an N1. I'm never looking back..

So long Sprint - you guys continue to suck at providing decent customer service, keeping up-to-date on devices, and pushing updates to customers in a timely manner.

See ya.

Journeyman

Good luck with T-Mobile my friend.

Journeyman

... when you think that only two months ago Sprint jumped on the N1 bandwagon "us too, us too, we'll carry N1 soon"... this only shows how much we can trust what Sprint says even on official releases.... I'm actually glad this news is out so we can move on...

Journeyman

I'm really sad the N1 isn't coming to Sprint. I was really looking forward to it. I've got the Moment, and I like it because of the slide-out QWERTY but I was looking forward to seeing the N1 give Samsung some competition. Hopefully Moment 2 will be a nice upgrade...the EVO is beginning to look REAL nice though...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat