cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update for the Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update for the Nexus S

I have only had the phone for three days and have a couple of things that I'm missing in a smartphone which is listed below. If anybody know a way around any of the items I have listed please post.

1. Add speed dial to the phone pad.

2. Change the nubmer of characters that can be used in text messages.

3. Add visual voicemail.

4. Zoom in the camera.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Master

Update for the Nexus S

All of these are by design from Google.

1. The alternative to Speed Dial on Android is starring your contacts you talk to most frequently, and they have their own tab in your phone app.

2. SMS messages are limited to 160 characters. Most manufacturers replace the built-in Android application with their own that will let you type longer messages and itwill truncate and split messages automatically for ease of use. Google has instead decided to go with the actual limitation of the SMS protocol instead of working around it.

3. Visual Voicemail is not inherent to Android, so the Nexus S 4G being a pure "Google Experience" device will not have this application. There are alternatives like using Google Voice and that visual voicemail system instead of the Sprint voicemail.

4. Camera zooms on phones are simply digital zooms (not true optical lens zooms). It is simply cropping the picture for you before saving it. So you actually lose quality by using a zoom function on your phone because it is cropping the image and then blowing it up back to the standard picture dimensions. Google has decided not to implement this because it loses the quality the camera was designed to have by using a digital zoom.

Journeyman

Update for the Nexus S

@halcyoncmdr134 can you please explain this better - I tried to put star on each of my contact that I had in speed dial but when I go back and look at the contact the star is no longer highlighted. Is there any place on the web I can go to find an example.  I tried the Google Voice but didn't like how everytime you received a call you would have to hit 1 to accept the call and how your text message was combined. If you know a way to turn both of them off let me know and I think I might use it.

1. The alternative to Speed Dial on Android is starring your contacts you talk to most frequently, and they have their own tab in your phone app.

Journeyman

Update for the Nexus S

Go to www.google.com/voice   go under " Calls " tab and set call screening to OFF.    I am attaching a picture of what it looks like....  Hopefully it makes it a little clear.  Capture1.PNG

Sprint Product Ambassador

Update for the Nexus S

You can also scroll down your contact list and long-press any contact and select "Add to favorites".

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Update for the Nexus S

Thanks for you help. I didn't like Google Voice.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat