Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does My Nexus S 4G "Roam" From My Living Room?

Journeyman

Why Does My Nexus S 4G "Roam" From My Living Room?

Last week I negotiated with customer support about taking my phone on its first trip to Sonora, Mexico, where I knew I had no coverage.  But I believed I could still use the free wifi in the lobby at my sister's condo to make a Viber call, or two.  BIG MISTAKE!  Returned to Phoenix to find my "free" wifi call over the Internet from my sister's free wifi cost me about $140 American dollars.  But I digress . . .

Since I am a relatively new Sprint customer, having been literally ripped off by Verizon for years, I decided to pay close attention to what my phone's status was.  Reception from day one at my own house in downtown Phoenix was terrible.  Had to go to my backyard to make a decent call.  Sprint then sent me some gadget that looks like a router, which they claimed would improve my service.  It still stinks.

However, in my new heightened awareness mode, I could not help but notice my phone said I was "roaming" while seated in my living room at home!  I became double mad upon learning that I had gone over my 450 "anytime" minutes for the first time since January.  We are talking July 2012 now.  I have done nothing new.  But the explanation about my overage minutes made reference to making "roaming" calls to landlines, or something like that.  I could not help wondering if my "roaming" in my own living room was somehow responsible.

I just checked my August minutes, and it again shows I am already about 60 minutes over my 450 anytime limit, and that I already owe another $30 some dollars!  How come this never happened in the first several months?  Guess I'll have to keep the MagicJack fired up at all times.

Can someone explain why I am "roaming" on my phone inside my house?  Right now it says it is not roaming.  The last few times I checked, it also reported I was not roaming.  But it sure was like crazy last week when I was fighting with customer support about my ill-fated "free" Viber wifi call in Mexico!  I am all ears.  Anyone?

Note: even though Sprint sent me a "free" router gadget to boost my signal, I still break up everywhere inside my house, except the kitchen, which is right next to the backyard door, where I used to have to go before the new gadget was sent to me.

All comments appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Caicaras,

I am roaming any building I enter, whether it's near the window or just near the door at a parking lot. I even get X (not even roaming) sometimes when I stay in my office too long. All my calls go to voice mail immediately.

I have fought over this issue since 2011 with Sprint and Sprint Corporate stores and simply they tell me it's due to my buildings I enter. Many times I was told to call Samsung for additional support because it was due to hardware issue. I have given up trying to resolve this issue because we are only few that are experiencing...according to Sprint. Therefore, it's not a major issue to Sprint.

I am surprised they sent you a signal booster! I even fought for that but I was told I would be charged $99 and a monthly fee for having one. And the booster is only good for 3 devices and if I wanted to reserve for my phone (because it shares with any Sprint phone) I would have to call the tech support and give a valid reason why I wanted to lock others out. It's strange that I pay for the broadband service and the booster, yet any other Sprint phone can grab the signal...

So, if you are still roaming even with the booster, ask Sprint tech to reserve your phone as at least 1 of 3 or whaterver devices that can be connected to your booster. The booster by default allows any Sprint phone to use the booster. If the maximum number of connections are made you may not be using the booster to your advantage.

Journeyman

And this is just the beginning, wait until further notice when they send you the cancelation letter for being roaming too much or more overcharges for being off minutes. Sprint signal do not penetrate walls, it only work in outdoors.

Journeyman

LOL "it only work in outdoors"

On the parkinglot of my office, I am roaming. Roaming! I can't be mad at anymore...otherwise I will go mad!

Journeyman

Caicaras - I just got off with Customer Service (and obviously they do not understand the concept of "Service") and was told that it doesn't matter where you are or even if you have a cell tower in your backyard your phone can still roam. It isn't a process of where you are, it is a process of what tower is available. I can have one bar one minute and the next be roaming because I have no bars and I haven't moved from the chair in my living room!  My complaint is that I have NO useful phone service in my home and haven't had it since I switched from Nextel to Sprint (and Sprint and Nextel are the same company!?) 

The solution offered to my complaint about no service in my home was to give me a $30 credit on my bill for the next 4 months. Big deal, how is $120 going to give me better phone service?  At no time during the conversation with this Customer Service idiot was I told about the Airave nor was I offered any other solution except the credit or termination of my service.  I am exploring other options with the top 3 carriers.  I am tired of being f* without first being kissed.

Wizard

nokiss,

Thank you so much for using Sprint Community to voice your questions and concerns.  I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the network at your home.  I know how frustrating I can be when all you want to do is just use your phone at home.  If you were offered a $30 credit across the course of 4 months, it was most likely due to a known issue in your area that we are currently working on.  I'll be glad to confirm that if you provide me with your city, state and nearest cross streets.  That being said, all is not lost.  We do have a device that hooks up to your high speed Internet connection that will boost your in home service.  If you'd like, I can see if we can qualify you for this device so you can start using your device at home while we work on the network.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Fergie B:  City: Pasadena State: Maryland Cross Streets: Bar Harbor & Ft Smallwood

I have been a Nextel/Sprint customer since 2005. When I had Nextel I had service in my home but lost service in all other areas. I was tired of dropped calls, lost calls and no service so contacted Sprint and switched from Nextel to Sprint.  That was my first mistake, the second mistake was thinking Sprint would care about it's customers. I've called and complained - the first time I was told I could get a signal booster at an additional cost of $29.99/month. Excuse me but I'm paying in excess of $150/month for my plan, why should I pay almost $200/month for something I should already be receiving?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I was venting to a co-worker who told me she had the same problem but Sprint offered her the signal booster for NO ADDITIONAL COST!  Why would she get it for free and I have to pay?  Is this anyway to keep customers happy?!  Of course not.

I called today because I'm no longer locked into a contract.  I am seriously considering switching to one of the big 3 - Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.  Even Cricket gets better service in my house.  There are 3 cell towers relatively close to where I live and I was told last year that more towers would be in place by 3rd or 4th quarter 2011. Well it's now the beginning of 4th quarter 2012 and nothing has changed.  Did Softbank need a debt write-off?  Seems Masayoshi San thinks he can take on Verizon and AT&T, not with the service, both technical and customer, currently offered by Sprint.

Wizard

nokiss,

Based on the information you just provided me, there's no reason I can tell why you would be charged for the signal booster I was attempting to qualify you for.  If you wouldn't mind sending me some information via private message, I'll be glad to see what we can do about getting one to you free of charge.

To send a private message:

1.  Click on my name (Below my picture)

2.  Select Send a private message  (Under Actions on the far right)

Information neeed:

1.  Your phone number

2.  Your first and last name

3.  Your security pin or the answer to the security question on your account

4.  The name of your internet service provider

5.  Your email address

7.  The physical address where you will be using the device

8.  A mail address (if different from physical address)

Note, please only send this information via private message to protect your privacy.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Journeyman

I ended up moving to a place that was a Sprint dead zone too.  Unfortunately, Sprint says I live in a area with good coverage, but anyone who has Sprint, regardless of phone, ends up roaming.  You may have to up your anytime minutes.  I tried getting an Airave, but customer service kept on telling me I should have good signal where I live.  Anyhow, I'm lucky I never come close to exceeding the anytime minutes on my plan (1500 Family), but I do use A LOT of data.  Thank goodness it's unlimited.

Wizard

skyungjae,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are living in a "dead zone".  Can you tell me, is your issue mostly indoors?  How far away from your home would you say that you have to travel in order to no longer experience an issue?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Journeyman

I have to walk about 150 yards to the main road outside of my townhouse complex to get a strong Sprint signal.  I'm actually not too concerned about roaming when it comes to phone calls, because I don't even use 10% of the anytime minutes on my plan.  Initially, I did all the trouble shooting stuff, updating profile, PRL, etc etc.  Tried to get an Airave but was denied.  However, based on my usage, I really don't need one.  Even if I could get one, my neighbor didn't like the idea that I'd have to hook it up to his boradband modem.

The only issue is roaming data.  On October 25, 2012, another Sprint customer service agent informed me that there's a 300mb limit.  I've far exceeded that number in the past two months after being told I had unlimited roaming data and no fees to worry about.

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused.  Two months ago, I was in so much fear of roaming fees, I felt I couldn't use my phone.  I got assurance that I wouldn't be charged for roaming, but now there's this very low "limit."

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat