cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Get Your Fitness On with the Lumia 635

Patron

My immediate go to on to set up on any device I get is setting up my fitness apps and my Nokia Lumia 635 was no different. Since it has been a couple of years since my last Windows Phone, I had some mixed emotions about whether there would be app support for my favorite Fitness Apps. Being a long time Fitbit user I was excited to find the actual Fitbit app available for my Lumia 635. Again it’s been a couple of years since my last Windows Phone and previously there was not an official Fitbit app, and the apps built to support at that time were just not equivalent.  Functionality of the Windows version of the Fitbit app is very similar to the Android & iOS versions, so if you are changing over nothing new for you to have to learn.  My next search was My Fitness Pal, a favorite and pretty extensive food/nutrition tracker.  Again winner, winner chicken dinner for me – sure enough My Fitness Pal has an official app and similar to my experience with the Fitbit app the My Fitness App Pal app had majority of the same functionality as the Android version. There were a couple of things that did not feel as fluid in the food tracker, but all in all a positive experience.

Now there were a couple of new apps I explored that because they were Windows Phone specific or substitutes for apps I would normally use.  First was Microsoft Health, which at first glance looks to be built for Microsoft Band but I found this to be a pretty cool competing app to Map My Fitness.  It definitely has Microsoft Band integration which enhances what you can do with this app, but I think for the greater public the ability to have GPS tracked running/biking, Cortana integration, calendar reminders and calories burned are the key draws.  Also this app is built for iOS and Android so device switchers can bring their exercise info with them from device to device.  Additionally pre-loaded on the Lumia is MSN Health & Fitness.  A neat app with a ton of information and adds food/diet tracking, daily health & fitness articles, workout & exercise videos.  Between the two I would recommend MSN Health & Fitness for more novice users or folks just starting into a new wellness adventure.  But both are good little apps from Microsoft.

All in all my current exposure to fitness apps on Windows phone was much more positive than in the past.  There are more quality apps and official builds for folks to choose from, so for most people switching to Windows Phone you should be able to find apps to meet your mobile fitness needs.

YOUR SPRINT PRODUCT AMBASSADORS

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.