cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Lumia 635 - First Impressions

Sprint Product Ambassador

I have been an Android and iOS user for quite a while. Though they work well, sometimes you just need a change of pace and want to try something new. So, when Sprint started to carry the Lumia 635 which is a Windows Phone, I had to get my hands on it and am glad I did.

Right out of the gate, I will say that Windows Phone is refreshingly different. The Lumia 635 runs the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. It has a beautiful interface, featuring customizable live tiles on your main screen which change throughout the day as the content changes.

Windows Phone 8.1 features a personal assistant named Cortana. Cortana is similar to Google Now or Siri. Personally, I use Cortana to learn about the weather, send messages, open apps, conduct searches, manage my calendar, and more.

Screenshot 2015-02-12 09.25.44.png

The Lumia 635 comes with 8GB of on board storage, so be certain to use a MicroSD card with this device. The nice thing is that most of the apps and data go on the MicroSD card. I am currently putting my music, videos, podcasts, photos, apps, and downloads on my MicroSD card, so they do not affect the storage on the device. This works extremely well. Also, with OneDrive (Microsoft’s cloud storage solution), you have 15gb of free online storage.

If you're new to the Windows Phone world, you might be taken aback at the spec differences. In the world of Android, for example, we seem to be pretty spec-obsessed, or at least I am. I desire a phone with the most ram, largest battery, fastest processor, etc. However, I quickly learned that Windows Phone 8.1 doesn’t require the same processing power and ram as its competing platforms do. The Lumia 635 is not the most robust device spec-wise, but I quickly learned that it doesn't even matter! This phone performs extremely well. I have noticed that Windows Phone 8.1 is very fluid and quick, regardless of these device specs. The great thing about lower specs is… lower specs = lower price!

So let’s get into the specs and features:

SPECS

Operating System

Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Cyan

Size & Weight

Height: 129.5 mm (5.1 inches)

Width: 66.7 mm (2.63 inches)

Thickness: 9.2 mm (.36 inches)

Weight: 134 g (4.73 ounces)

Display

Size: 4.5”

Resolution: FWVGA (854 x 480)

Colors: TrueColor (24-bit/16M)

Pixel density: 221 ppi

Features: Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle

Touch screen technology: Capacitive Multipoint-Touch

Memory

Mass memory: 8 GB

RAM: 512 MB

Maximum memory card size: 128 GB

Expandable memory card type: MicroSD

User data storage: In device, Memory card, OneDrive cloud storage, App and data storage on memory card

Battery

Replaceable battery

Capacity: 1830 mAh

Voltage: 3.7 V

Maximum standby time: 17.3 days

Maximum talk time: 18.6 hours on 2G, 16.4 hours on 3G

Maximum music playback time: 45 hours

Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 9.4 hours

Maximum video playback time: 7 hours

Sensors

Accelerometer

SensorCore

Processor

CPU: Snapdragon 400

Number of cores: Quad core

Clock rate: 1200 MHz

FEATURES

Windows Phone 8.1 Operating System, featuring Cortana

Data: Sprint Spark, 4G LTE, 3G

OneDrive: 15 GB free online storage

Mix Radio: Stream unlimited music for free

Here Drive +: Free turn by turn navigation (even when offline)

People Hub: A unique way to stay in touch with the people that matter to you

Mobile Connectivity: Work seamlessly with Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint, and Lync servers

Secure Connectivity: Access to company intranet services is secured with VPN technologies, SSL, and IPsec VPN

Linked Contacts: links your Outlook, Google, and Facebook contacts

Sprint Worldwide: Contact Spring Worldwide international services at 1.888.226.7212 option 2

Web

Entertainment: TV, radio, mp3 player

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth

Hearing aid compatibility

Wireless Emergency Alerts

Another item I must mention is the incredible battery life of this device. The Lumia 635 features an 1830 mAh battery, but it lasts for what seems like forever. I go for days without charging it. Truly amazing. It seems Microsoft figured something out here!

If you're looking for an affordable solution that works extremely well, is nearly seamless with your Microsoft work environment, is reliable, and has a refreshingly beautiful UI, the Lumia 635 might be what you're looking for.

The Lumia 635 is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.