cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Lumia 635 Runs Windows 10 Technical Preview like a Champ

Sprint Product Ambassador

An early adopter’s dream… to be able to always try the latest and greatest. I am happy to say that the Lumia 635 helps to make this dream come true.

In mid-February 2015, Microsoft released the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Windows Phone through their Windows Insider Program. Excitingly, the Lumia 635 is one of the six devices on which you can run this preview (as of the date of this post - 02/26/15). If you’re a geek, own the Lumia 635, and love the latest and greatest in tech, you should be jumping for joy at this point. You are one of the few that can actually try out Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Lumia 635 before the rest of the world!

Installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on the Lumia 635 is a fairly smooth process. Microsoft did a great job with it, making this available to anyone who wants to give it a shot… and for free too. 

First, you need to be a member of the Windows Insider Program. It is free and painless to join the Windows Insiders Program and you can enroll at http://windows.insider.com. Once enrolled, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download-phone for instructions on how to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Lumia 635. The Windows Insider app needs to be installed on the device. Then, simply open the Windows Insider app and follow the instructions. It took me about an hour in total and a few reboots, as I had to wait for the build to become available after opting into the program through the app.

wp_ss_20150226_0002.jpg wp_ss_20150226_0003.jpgwp_ss_20150226_0004.jpg

At this point, I must write...

WARNING WARNING WARNING: Windows 10 Technical Preview is pre-release software. Bugs, issues, and instability may occur. Microsoft and Sprint are not responsible for your device and what could potentially occur if you were to install this pre-release software. You are the master of your device and take sole responsibility. Furthermore, I am writing this piece not on behalf of Sprint.This post represents my personal opinions and experiences.

In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, there are some cosmetic changes that look pretty snazzy. On the home screen, if you select a background image, some of the tiles will become translucent showing off your wallpaper. Also, some of the tiles are adjustable to be made larger than before.

wp_ss_20150226_0009.jpg

The settings have been organized into sections, which is a helpful enhancement over 8.1:

wp_ss_20150226_0006.jpg

In the apps view, your recently installed apps will appear at the top:

wp_ss_20150226_0011.jpg

In Windows 10 Technical Preview, an expandable Action Center offering now 12 handy accessible items is introduced. As before, you can access the Action Center by dragging down from the top of the screen, and it sits above the notification drawer. Speaking about notifications, now certain notification are interactable. You can now respond to texts from within notifications and dismiss alarms. We hope to see more interactive notification functionality in upcoming builds.

wp_ss_20150226_0012.jpg

This has been just a quick summary of a few of the Windows 10 Technical Preview features I have experienced on the Lumia 635. I will cover more features in future blog posts. 

In short, the Lumia 635 does a great job of handling the Windows 10 Technical Preview. There are a few bugs here and there, such as a process that might quit or lag for a second, but that is to be expected with any pre-release software. Overall, the installation of this software has not hindered my ability to use my Lumia 635 at all, and I have been pleased with the experience.

The Lumia 635 is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.