cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors– Lumia 635: syncing with google contacts

Sprint Product Ambassador

After a number of years using Android phone I have stored all my contacts on my google account. This has enabled me to set up a new phone and immediately to have my contact loaded to the new phone almost a few minutes after I have a new phone activated.  I can also access my address book on my laptop via Gmail contact. Something that I cannot be away with.

Having this Lumia 635 device, I found that you can set up google accounts.  After going through setting up the google account, all my contacts are downloaded, pretty cool.  Great!

After the first day, I started finding that I could not find certain phone numbers to make calls, or incoming calls would not show her name but only the number.  This intrigued me to get to the root of the problem, and I think it is related to:

• the Custom field names that google allow in the contact, and
  • there is some inconsistency in contact sync

So I set up the following experiment.

I created 3 google contacts on my android device:

google-created-contacts-01.jpg

You can see the Custom field names in the contact.

After the initial sync to the Lumia Windows phone, I get the following:

windows-contact-after-sync.jpg

You can see all the Custom entries are not synced to the Windows phone.

I then got on my android phone and change the Custom entry in “John Two Doe” to a standard contact field “Mobile”:

Screenshot_2015-02-24-16-59-42.png

Tried to do a sync from the Lumia Windows phone, but the new data is NOT synced to the phone.

I edited the “John Three Doe” contact on the Lumia Windows phone to have a Mobile entry:

wp_ss_20150224_0004.png

Well after doing a sync from the Lumia phone, nothing is changed on the android phone.  I later checked the “John Three Doe” entry on the Lumia phone, the Mobile entry is wiped out, no phone entry for this contact!

Looks like this Google contact sync utility needs a bit of work on the Lumia phone.

So if you do sync your google contacts to the Lumia Windows phone, if you have standard entry field then likely you are ok, if not be beware.

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.