cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Navigation

Sprint Product Ambassador

In my youth, I depended on paper maps for getting me from one place to another.  I can recall the shuffling sound of paper against paper as I attempted to fold the map back to its original creased condition.  Nonetheless, I was astounded when I learned to use Google navigation on my first Android phone.  As a matter of fact, I became quite accustomed to it.  How would Microsoft's version of navigation stack up to the one I have been used to for so long?

Well - on the Nokia Lumia 635, you get to use HERE Drive+.  I was pleasantly satisfied with the functionality of it.

There are two ways to use HERE Drive+:

1)  From a Cortana Search

2)  Directly from the app itself

Cortana Search:

You can ask Cortana questions like:  Where is the closest gas station? or Where is the closest car wash?  Then select the option that best fits your needs, and choose Directions from my location.  It will open the HERE Drive+ app and you will be able to choose "start voice nav."

Directly from the App:

It would be a good idea to pin HERE Drive+ to your home page for easy access.  "Set destination" is the most common choice I use in the app.  This allows the user to enter their destination just like with any other navigation service, and tap "drive to."  My experience with the application has been very positive.  I LOVE that I don't have to set my car's audio system to Bluetooth in order to get the audio notifications.  Nokia will create a fake contact called Cortana, and when it needs to announce an instructions, it will simulate a voice call to your car from Cortana.  Afterwards, it returns to whatever you were initially listening to prior to the notification.  The routes are just as good as Google's if not better in some cases.  I did not find an easy method for changing to an alternate route.  The buttons are large so IF you try to setup the navigation while you are driving (note:  this is potentially dangerous and not recommended), it wont be as much of a distraction as it would with other navigation services.  Finally, the most important aspect of the navigation system, is getting you to the final destination as efficiently and easy as possible.  HERE Drive+ passed this test with flying colors -- and I didn't have to refold a map!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.