cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 635

0 Comments

sprintlumia635full.jpg

I used the Lumia 635 for over a month without switching back and forth to Android to try and find out the pros and cons of the Windows Phone operating system. It was a lot of fun to try it out because it is so different from other platforms and really tries to keep its own identity. Developers have gotten behind Windows and have made most of the top apps available for use so it can now really compete with Android and iOS. The operating system really has improved from the first time I tried Windows phone on the HTC 8XT. Here are some of my impressions so far:

Windows is really smooth. There is no lag when going from apps to different screens. It’s amazing how they can pull this off without top of the line specs. They do have a more muted UI, but all in all it’s great not to have to slow down when switching between applications.

The Lumia is a bright phone in a great way. I have had more people stop and ask me what phone I have than ever before. It is especially popular with teens and kids who love the vibrant blue. You can also switch it out for other shells whenever you like.

Mid-Range specs don’t mean mid-range performance. As stated earlier, this phone is quick. It can play pretty much any game you can download on it.

The biggest negative I have about this phone is the screen. The phone never claimed to have a great screen and it is a very low priced device, but the screen resolution is very noticeable compared to other phones. This is not a deal breaker by any means because the price is right to buy. If you have not tried out Windows phone in a while I highly suggest you give it some consideration. This phone is a perfect price for a phone that won’t disappoint.

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

Nokia Lumia 635 final thoughts

There are a number of great features that the Nokia Lumia 635 included in Sprint’s first Windows 8 device. In my experience these last few weeks has been mostly positive. I was very pleasantly surprised with things like battery life and ease of use. I thought the lack of a front facing camera would be an issue, but Nokia actually included a very simple and very useful guiding app to still take great selfies with the back camera. Just follow the beeps!

Nokia Lumia.png

The OS provided me with a wonderful experience for my first window’s device. The UI was fast and fluid and overall really impressive.

This low cost is going to be great for someone who is maybe not yet fully adopted the smartphone movement, or is just looking for a budget friendly, familiar and easy to use phone. Anyone will be able to pick up this phone and know how to use it. Microsoft has done an amazing job at keeping it simple and familiar, and enriched the experience with Cortana.

If you haven’t used Cortana yet, you are truly missing out. Microsoft easily has one of the best personal assistant experiences on a phone today. She is witty, and helpful and can give you contextual updates by things like location or phone contact.

Thanks for reading, for more information go to:Nokia Lumia 635

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Today only Amazon is selling the Boost and Virgin Mobile versions of the Nokia Lumia 635 for $29.99!  That is a pretty awesome price for a smartphone without a contract.  The Lumia 635 runs Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box however it is on the very exclusive list of devices that are currently supported for the Windows 10 Technical Preview software update via Microsoft’s Windows Insider Program.

Key Specs

• 4.5” display
  • Quad-core 1.2 GHz processor
  • 4G LTE
  • 5.0 MP camera
  • 8 GB internal memory (also supports up to 128 GB microSD card)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • Up to 16.4 hours talk time

This device also features replaceable shells that come in multiple colors, allowing you to customize the color to your liking.  This is a great value for people who are looking for a pretty awesome smartphone without breaking the bank.  Windows Phone 8.1 is about as smooth of a software experience as you can get on a device at this price.  This is also great for those of you who want to experience Windows 10 Technical Preview right now!

Until next time,

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Screenshot-2015-02-12-22_36_01-980x570.png

The Luminia 635 is on the very short list of Windows Phone devices that are eligible to be upgraded to the Windows 10 Technical Preview via Microsoft’s Windows Insider Program.  If you would like to read about how to install this version please read this blog.  This preview of the next version of the mobile version of Windows will allow you to experience many of the upgrades that have already been baked into the operating system.  Many of you enjoy living on the proverbial edge of software innovation and have already installed this on your device.  The good thing about the Technical Preview is it allows early adopters to experience some wonderful improvements that have been made and also allows you to get additional updates when future changes are made as well.  The bad thing about the Technical Preview is that it’s not a finished product so your experience could vary.  Other than an occasional bug here and there it’s worked mostly fine for me however some of you may not be so fortunate.  If you’re having too many issues or if you’ve experienced the preview and simply want to go back Microsoft has provided a way for you to revert right back to Windows Phone 8.1.  Here’s how to do it.

• 1.       Download and install the Windows Phone Recovery Tool on your PC.
  • 2.       Launch Windows Phone Recovery Tool and then tether your phone to the PC via USB.
  • 3.       The program should automatically detect your device and give the option to Reinstall Software.
  • 4.       Select Reinstall Software

That’s it.  Very simple.  It’s important to note that this will wipe all the apps and data from the device so back up any important data before doing this process.  Once the installation is complete you’ll be right back to good old version 8.1.

Feel free to talk about your experiences with both Windows Phone versions 8.1 and 10.

Until next time,

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee"

0 Comments

My immediate go to on to set up on any device I get is setting up my fitness apps and my Nokia Lumia 635 was no different. Since it has been a couple of years since my last Windows Phone, I had some mixed emotions about whether there would be app support for my favorite Fitness Apps. Being a long time Fitbit user I was excited to find the actual Fitbit app available for my Lumia 635. Again it’s been a couple of years since my last Windows Phone and previously there was not an official Fitbit app, and the apps built to support at that time were just not equivalent.  Functionality of the Windows version of the Fitbit app is very similar to the Android & iOS versions, so if you are changing over nothing new for you to have to learn.  My next search was My Fitness Pal, a favorite and pretty extensive food/nutrition tracker.  Again winner, winner chicken dinner for me – sure enough My Fitness Pal has an official app and similar to my experience with the Fitbit app the My Fitness App Pal app had majority of the same functionality as the Android version. There were a couple of things that did not feel as fluid in the food tracker, but all in all a positive experience.

Now there were a couple of new apps I explored that because they were Windows Phone specific or substitutes for apps I would normally use.  First was Microsoft Health, which at first glance looks to be built for Microsoft Band but I found this to be a pretty cool competing app to Map My Fitness.  It definitely has Microsoft Band integration which enhances what you can do with this app, but I think for the greater public the ability to have GPS tracked running/biking, Cortana integration, calendar reminders and calories burned are the key draws.  Also this app is built for iOS and Android so device switchers can bring their exercise info with them from device to device.  Additionally pre-loaded on the Lumia is MSN Health & Fitness.  A neat app with a ton of information and adds food/diet tracking, daily health & fitness articles, workout & exercise videos.  Between the two I would recommend MSN Health & Fitness for more novice users or folks just starting into a new wellness adventure.  But both are good little apps from Microsoft.

All in all my current exposure to fitness apps on Windows phone was much more positive than in the past.  There are more quality apps and official builds for folks to choose from, so for most people switching to Windows Phone you should be able to find apps to meet your mobile fitness needs.

YOUR SPRINT PRODUCT AMBASSADORS

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

I was kind of shocked as I was reading about Windows 10 Preview that the Nokia Lumia 635 was one of the devices that was going to support it, so I thought what the heck let’s check this thing out.  Getting started was relatively easy, but definitely had me double check my sense of adventure as I signed up/installed the Windows Insider app.  One thing that was evident (as well as clearly stated pre-download of the software) and for those that have not ventured into beta/test software on your device is that this is not a finished product, there could be issues & bugs which could include “bricking” your phone.

wp_ss_20150308_0001.jpgwp_ss_20150308_0002.jpgwp_ss_20150308_0003.jpg

Once you get through the scary messages (all be it true possibilities) then it was on to the fun.  It took (2) times for me to click & download to get my 635 to become updated with Windows 10 Preview. At first glance here are the items that I noticed different in the Windows 10 preview:

• "Enhanced" notification bar - I like that when messages come in that it pops up on the top of the screen and gives you an extended read without opening the message in full simply by swiping down under the message.
  • New Live Tile size and customization.  For Cortana lovers you will get the ability to make the Live Tile EXTRA big.  If you are a 3 tile per row person you will also get some options to do a double tile or even make more tiny tiles.
  • Setting Menu - coming from an Android device I was pleasantly surprised to see the change.  It is much more fluid and I found it more user friendly as well. 

wp_ss_20150308_0004.jpg

From what I discovered early from the Windows 10 Preview I am happy to see where Microsoft is taking the OS and even better that they are now seeming to pull the eco-system together.  For Windows Phone fans this could be a turning point finally for Microsoft and if Nokia/Microsoft can build quality devices from entry level, like the Lumia 635, up to more iconic devices then we could see some small steps for market share in Windows Phone.

YOUR SPRINT PRODUCT AMBASSADORS

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Nokia Lumia 635

I’d like to introduce two new features that this Nokia Lumia phone has included in this great device. These features are ones that I use daily and I find extremely useful.

Driving Mode:

I love this feature simply because it makes me a safer driver. My wife recently gave birth to our third child, and I have to continue to make sure that I’m being as safe as I can with them in the car. And a smartphone can come with all kinds of major distractions like email, texts, social updates, check-ins, app updates and more. Each one with their own notification sound, or vibrating pattern. Of course you can just put your phone on silent when you get in the car, but as I mentioned above, with three kids under three, I’m likely not thinking about silencing my phone. The Nokia Lumia has a feature called Driving Mode where you can mute all your notifications except calls when you are connected to your car’s Bluetooth radio. So each time you start your car, and your phone connects, you’ll be able to concentrate on driving safely. There are far too many tragic stories of people getting into wrecks b/c of checking their social media or texting while driving. I love that the Widows phone makers included this in their software to make their customers safer and more responsible drivers.

Quiet hours:

In a similar fashion, the Lumia phone has a setting called Quiet hours. You can set up a time for Cortana to turn on your quiet hours which will mute your notifications for that period of time. Cortana will handle your texts and calls, and you can also set up special people that can “break through” the quiet hour lockdown. For example: I set up between 11pm and 6am as my quiet hour range. But I also set my wife and parents as contacts that can break through just in case there is an emergency. But Cortana also mutes all other notifications so as not to wake me, my wife, and my newborn up at every game notification trying to lure me back to their addictive grasp. Or, you know, an email.

Thanks for reading, for more information you can go to Nokia Lumia 635

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

For me the most important feature of any phone will be if I can listen to my podcasts, while most people consume music I consume podcasts.

On a given week, I listen to about 10 podcasts and some shows produce 10 hours worth of content.

When I got the Lumia, finding an avenue to be able to listen to podcast was my first task.

Here are  the steps taken from http://http//www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/music/subscribe-to-podcasts

Subscribe to podcasts

To subscribe to a podcast from your phone

• 1.  On Start, tap Marketplace , and then tap Podcasts. (If you don't see this option, podcasts probably aren't available in Marketplace in your region.)
  • 2.  To find a podcast to subscribe to, do one of the following: 
    • Flick left or right to browse through different categories.
    • Tap Search , type the name of the podcast you're looking for, and then tap Enter .
  • 3.  Tap a podcast, flick left or right to learn more about it, and then tap Subscribe.
  • 4.  Change the download settings for the series if you'd like (you can change these later), and then tap Confirm.

• To play or delete a podcast episode
  • 1.  On Start, tap Music+Videos , flick to Zune, and then tap Podcasts.
  • 2.  Do one of the following:
    • To play the most recent episode in a series, tap the image with the Play  icon over it.
    • To choose an episode to play, tap the name of the series (to the right of the image), tap the name of the episode, and then tap Play
    • To delete a podcast series or episode, tap and hold it, and then tap Delete.

To change download settings for a podcast series

When you subscribe to a podcast series, new episodes will automatically download while your phone is plugged in and charging. By default, episodes will only download over a Wi-Fi network. You can change this setting so that new episodes will download over your wireless network when Wi-Fi isn't available, but note that this will use your data plan and may incur charges. 

• Do one of the following
    • Tap the name of the podcast (to the right of the image), and then tap Series settings.
    • Tap Settings to go to the Music+videos Settings screen, and then clear the check box next to Only download new podcast episodes over Wi-Fi.

To unsubscribe to a podcast

• 2.  Tap the name of the podcast (to the right of the image), and then tap Unsubscribe.
  • 3.  If you'd like to delete the episodes that have been downloaded to your phone, tap theDelete all episodes check box.
  • 4.  Tap Yes. 

To subscribe to a podcast from your PC

• In the Zune software on your PC, click Marketplace, and then click Podcasts.
  • Do one of the following:  ◦To browse podcasts, in the left pane, click a category.
  • To search for podcasts, click in the search box, and then type the name of the podcast you're looking for.
  • Click a podcast, and then click Subscribe.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee)

0 Comments

When considering a Windows Phone such as the Lumia 635, often one of the concerns is whether the Windows Phone app library is sufficient. Well, as of today, the app store has over 500,000 apps available. I am a power user, and really haven’t experienced a lack of apps with my Lumia 635.

Most of the main apps I use are available for my Lumia 635, such as… Skype, Evernote, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Spotify, Twitter, Dropbox, Lync 2013, MS Office, Voxer, Tumblr, Google, Authenticator, CamScanner, and more. Also, one of the nice things about the Windows Phone Store is that it allows you to try the full version of most paid apps before committing to a purchase. No buyer’s remorse!

If the Windows Phone app library is one of your concerns, you can take a look at the entire app library online at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/overview.

windows phone library.PNG

Also, Microsoft makes it pretty painless to develop for Windows Phone and they offer training resources for beginners as well. If you’re interested in developing a Windows Phone app, you can start here: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/getstarted

windev.PNG

So as you can see, the app library for Windows Phone is not lacking, and increasingly growing day by day. You can purchase the Lumia 635 Windows Phone at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.    

0 Comments

After having the Nokia Lumia 635 in my hands for over a month now, I wanted to take some time and share with you my overall experience as it relates to this device.  My first thoughts were that I would not like it (yes, I know, negative nelly).  However, after using the device, I am not only pleased with this device, but I would even recommend it to anyone who is interested in a well performing phone without the glitz/glory of having to have the latest in technology all of the time.  I enjoyed the screen sharing capability.  It has it built in for miracast ready-enabled televisions.  If you don't have a miracast ready-enabled television, you can purchase a dongle - Microsoft sells one for about $59.99 - which plugs into your HDMI port on your television.  You can also use chromecast, although you will need to download Tubecast.  Secondly, I like the ability to swap to a different color case anytime you would like, and for a reasonable cost.  The back cover snaps off very easily and is likewise easily replaced with another cover.  Compatibility with other Microsoft services and XBOX makes any Windows Phone a good phone to have.  I was concerned that it did not have the latest and greatest processor and memory - but as I soon learned, they aren't necessary on Windows Phones.  The operating system runs seamlessly, pristine, and without glitches on the Nokia Lumia.  Finally, the battery life is AMAZING.  I noticed I was not always seeking out a place to plug in my charger, or even going straight to my charger when I got home.  The battery life really is an important factor.  Overall, I would recommend  this device.  Thanks for being a part of my experience!

0 Comments

In my youth, I depended on paper maps for getting me from one place to another.  I can recall the shuffling sound of paper against paper as I attempted to fold the map back to its original creased condition.  Nonetheless, I was astounded when I learned to use Google navigation on my first Android phone.  As a matter of fact, I became quite accustomed to it.  How would Microsoft's version of navigation stack up to the one I have been used to for so long?

Well - on the Nokia Lumia 635, you get to use HERE Drive+.  I was pleasantly satisfied with the functionality of it.

There are two ways to use HERE Drive+:

1)  From a Cortana Search

2)  Directly from the app itself

Cortana Search:

You can ask Cortana questions like:  Where is the closest gas station? or Where is the closest car wash?  Then select the option that best fits your needs, and choose Directions from my location.  It will open the HERE Drive+ app and you will be able to choose "start voice nav."

Directly from the App:

It would be a good idea to pin HERE Drive+ to your home page for easy access.  "Set destination" is the most common choice I use in the app.  This allows the user to enter their destination just like with any other navigation service, and tap "drive to."  My experience with the application has been very positive.  I LOVE that I don't have to set my car's audio system to Bluetooth in order to get the audio notifications.  Nokia will create a fake contact called Cortana, and when it needs to announce an instructions, it will simulate a voice call to your car from Cortana.  Afterwards, it returns to whatever you were initially listening to prior to the notification.  The routes are just as good as Google's if not better in some cases.  I did not find an easy method for changing to an alternate route.  The buttons are large so IF you try to setup the navigation while you are driving (note:  this is potentially dangerous and not recommended), it wont be as much of a distraction as it would with other navigation services.  Finally, the most important aspect of the navigation system, is getting you to the final destination as efficiently and easy as possible.  HERE Drive+ passed this test with flying colors -- and I didn't have to refold a map!

0 Comments

It seems as most in today's world stick to one of two groups. Are you a pizza over burgers person, turkey or real bacon, coffee or tea. In the digital age today, most have also aligned themselves to two groups as well, Android or IOS. The people who are part of these groups vehemently defend their position as to why their side is the best. Many today treat this as if its the Jets and the Sharks (for all you youngins out there, this is a reference to possibly the greatest musical ever West Side Story).

In today's digital age, people get aggressive when debating and defending their side. The Android side argues that theirs is the best same goes for the IOS side. Well a 3rd group is coming to the party. Microsoft who used to be one of the two groups but now it is on the outside looking in. That being said here are some reason as to why getting a windows phone will be a benefit.

1.Live tiles: easily the first thing that is noticeable about the Lumia and any windows phone is the tiles that are on and constantly updating. My daughter likened the home screen to a scrabble board with all the tiles.

2.   Integration with Windows 8, lets be honest as good as Apple OS is, it still does not make the market penetration like windows does. For that reason alone this phone is great, it can interact with your computer operating system like no other device.

3.   Windows customization offers a mix of what Android and Apple allows you to. 

4.  Windows Phone can sync with most library systems out on the market such as windows media player, itunes etc..

5.  Xbox, which is better than apple tv, roku or any other player on the market. Windows phone can integrate with this device in a way that others cannot.

Thanks

Stanny George

0 Comments

Age of Sparta allows you to waste time like a boss.

Face it, most of what we do on a phone is waste time. I know this is the case for me.

A good way to waste time is to play games. For those interested in wasting their time in an exciting fashion, I have a game for you. Age of Sparta!

I haven't played a game like this since the early days of Age of Empires.

Age of Sparta is developed by Gameloft and was released to the windows platform in February.

It is a strategy game that is set in Ancient Greece. So for those fans of Spartacus, or the comic 300, this is for you.

Users are tasked with building their city, form their army and lead them to victory against oncoming hordes.

You the individual are able to play and conquer your friends. Wider online battles are also available for those wanting to play higher level competition.

Be careful, you don't want to end up like the real Roman Empire and run out of money, all needs to be taken into account. (dollar dollar bills yall)

Something different about this game is that you can call upon the gods to assist you in your venture. So for those who don't want to end up like Hannibal, you better call Zeus to rain down lightning.

You can make alliances with others to gang up and create an unstoppable force.

The game is free, but the ever present in app purchases are also there.

age.jpg

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.sprintemployee)

0 Comments

I have been using group SMS (and MMS) with my family and close friends extensively on my other phones. Since using the Lumia 635, I noticed that the incoming messages of the group SMS/MMS message look different, I only a single sender there is no sign of a group message.

I set up the following experiment:

I created a group SMS message and sent message #1 to A and B (A using an iPhone and B using an Android device) and I asked each of them to reply to the message.

Person A received the message #1 and replied me.  Person A on told me that the message did not appear to be a group message and I am the sole person on the address list.  Person A replied to the message #1 with message #2.

I received message #2 and the message appeared as an SMS message from person A.  I replied to message #2 and checked with A & B to see who would receive message #3.  Only A received message #3.

Same result with Person B.

I checked but there is no option in the SMS message to enable group messaging.  Wonder if anyone having similar experience with the Group SMS/MMS messaging here?

Thanks in advance.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Unboxing the Lumia 4 weeks ago I knew this would be a fun phone to review. The eye popping color of the phone was a great indicator. Nokia has always made very nice looking phones in the past, the 635 is no exception. The phone was always fast and fluid running the latest and greatest Windows 8.1. An added bonus was being one of the few phones that was able to run the preview of Windows 10. My battery life was stellar, something that you expect from windows phone. Nokia added a few battery saving touches to squeeze all the life you can out of this little device. I believe the price is the biggest selling point. The phone is such a bargain for what you’re getting. It won’t compete on paper with the high end phones on the market but that’s not an issue with windows phone. Microsoft regulates the hardware allowed on Windows phone making it super optimized for the hardware. The specs of this phone couldn’t compete on paper with android one to two years ago. That’s a testament how optimized and battery friendly the OS is.

specs.PNG

Getting to experience Cortana was really amazing. Microsoft’s personal assistant is really advanced and is giving Google Now and Siri some real competition. My favorite feature by far was the reading allowed my notifications. When my Bluetooth headset was connected Cortana would read aloud my text and I could reply all from voice without looking at my phone. The obvious need is when driving, it was the safest option, if you need to reply right away.

maxresdefault.jpg

Having not used Windows Phone for over a year, the OS matured in a great way. The app market has grown quite a bit but still not on par with the competitors. That’s really the last piece of the puzzle to make windows phone able to gain a ton of market share.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.    

0 Comments

Here are a few screenshots of sprint customers are saying about the Nokia Lumia 635. They really enjoy the value of the phone and love what Nokia brings to the table with Windows 8.1. I can't agree more with what they are saying. See what customers are saying below!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

0 Comments

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Nokia Lumia 635 Final Thoughts

With the Lumia 635 being my first Windows Phone, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I honestly just recently warmed up to my Windows 8.1 tablet and because of that positive experience, it really made me eager to explore Windows Phone and all it had to offer.  Well, I've now been here there and everywhere (with this cool little device).  In closing, this blog is just a little summary and final thoughts regarding the Nokia Lumia 635.

My first glance finds things fairly functional with Windows Phone.  Speed is never an issue (always fast and responsive).  The hardware is well built and pretty stylin' in terms of weight, form factor and overall appearance.  Having the ability to remotely manage the device via windowsphone.com, as well as having access to your family's devices (on the portal) is a very nice perk.  Pocket office with one drive makes it easy keeping documents synced and current.  Cortana is pure magic and a well valued friend.  Having hands free texting (while driving) and Cortana voice commands undoubtedly is a reason for anyone to seriously consider the Windows platform.

With all the perks however, the real limitation (to a windows phone) is 3rd party support.  There are many essential apps already ported over but many more haven't received the attention they deserve.  Double check to ensure that prized app is currently available, or you might be left in the cold waiting for a future enhancement. Although some features can be alternately accessed from the Internet Explorer App, lack of flash support often closes doors, isolating users from features they might rely on.  I have no doubt these problems will thin out drastically as Windows Phone matures, but right now losing access to Dropcam, NEST, Amazon Media and several other necessities make Windows Phone a hard platform for me to migrate to (at least for now).

For users that already embraced the Windows Phone however, the Lumia 635 is a very attractive price point and straight path to Windows 10 (which this phone will support).  Undoubtedly Windows 10 is a big part of what makes this a hot little toy exciting for users eagerly waiting for a Windows 10 launch.

I'd say Windows Fanboys rejoice!

Windows newbies, make sure you're the right fit for the platform (as it stands).

Everyone should keep a close eye on Windows Phone, as there certainly is exciting innovation going on. I haven't written anything off but I really would love 3rd parties opening up support for all Platforms.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

0 Comments

Obviously one of the best reasons to pick up the Nokia Lumia 635 is the price tag. $168 is the OFF CONTRACT price at Sprint! You can’t beat that. But there are a host of other reasons to pick up Sprint’s first Windows 8 device. Here are some of my favorite features so far:

1. Battery Life.

Frankly, this phone’s battery life is one of the best I've ever used. What’s even more impressive is the size of the battery. 1830mAh isn't very big. Not compared to some of the other 4.5-5.5in devices on the market today. But I would put actual use time up against any other device in that range, and fully expect it to hold it’s own weight. My last usage test was about 4 hours of constant downloading apps, restarting, resetting, videos, taking pictures, surfing, and more. The battery went from 92% to 69%. By that measure, (holding everything else constant) that would be more than 16 hours of very heavy use.

2. Cortana.

Even if you’ve used other personal assistant apps like Google Now, or Siri, I think you would appreciate what Microsoft has done with Cortana. Quick facts and web searches are a snap. If you ask her to tell you a joke, she’ll make an attempt. My favorite part of using Cortana is the location and contact based reminders. You can ask Cortana to remind you to take out the garbage when you get home. As long as you've told Cortana where you live, a reminder will pop up as requested upon your arrival. Or you can ask her to remind you to ask “Mark” about the party the next time you talk to him. If you go to call or text or email Mark, a reminder will pop up automatically. Or, even if Mark calls you, the reminder will still be launched. Cortana even learns as you use her by storing bits of information in her “notebook.” You can, of course view her notebook anytime. It won’t divulge any elusive secrets about yourself, except maybe your addiction to “Chinese food nearby.”

Thanks for reading, for more information you can go to Nokia Lumia 635

0 Comments

The longer I use the Lumia 635, the more I have memories of a number past Nokia devices that have graced my mobile lifetime.  In the hay-day Nokia was the standard setter for much of the mobile handset industry and definitely the "fashion" starter with devices like the Nokia 5110/5160. 

Nokia_5110.jpg

Jump forward 17 years to present day and Nokia is still keeping it fun and adding a splash of color to its user's experience with the Shells for the Lumia 635.

Nokia-Lumia-635-launched-by-Sprint-its-free-on-contract.jpgLumia_630_3G-stack.jpg

You have a handful of OEM shells that you can get for about $15 a piece.  These are a great way to personalize and protect your phone, plus if you scratch them up or damage the shell they are easily replaceable at a low cost.  I personally love the Electric Blue that our Sprint version of this phone comes in.  The shells have great bold color and coated with a thick clear coat giving it a glassy look over the color. You can find a selection shells in the Microsoft Store (www.microsoftstore.com).  Enjoy and add a little more color to you day.

Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

Blog 2 Lumia635.jpg

The smartphone game is extremely competitive these days.  Competition is good but it could also be confusing for consumers.  What’s more important?  Size?  Screen quality?  Camera quality?  Battery life?  Cost?  We have more options available to us than ever before.  The Lumia 635 isn’t a very highly marketed device but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth your time and money.  Here are some reasons you want to give it some consideration.

Great Price Tag

Right now you can pick up the Lumia 635 for a mere… $7 per month via Sprint’s 24 month Easy Pay!  That’s a pretty good bargain.  If you’d rather go with the 2 year contract then it’s FREE!  If you’re not really into contracts then you can walk away with this device for $168.

Windows Phone 8.1 Is Efficient

Spec envy is a really big these days.  We’ve been conditioned to look for numbers on a spec sheet to compare and contrast our potential purchase decisions.  The Lumia 635 has a 1.2 GHz Quad-Core processor, 512 MB of RAM and 8 GB of internal storage (although it does support up to a 128 GB micro SD card).  Those are not exactly jaw jopping attributes.  Where this device shines however, is its operating system.  Windows Phone 8.1 runs extremely well on this device.  Apps run smoothly and transitions are pretty crisp.  Microsoft has done some very nice things with Windows Phone.

Battery Life

The Lumia 635 has an 1830 mAh Lithium Ion Battery.  Again, that’s not exactly an impressive number on the spec sheet.  I’ve used this device for a couple of weeks now and can say that I’ve yet to have an issue making it through the day on a single charge.  On average, I’m down to about 20-25% battery life at around 10 pm.   The standby battery life is amazing!  On my light usage days, this thing can easily last 2 days on a single charge.

The Lumia 635 will never be forced on you via a heavily funded marketing campaign however it’s day to day performance, battery life and amazing price makes this one of the best values on the market.  It’s definitely worth the look if you’re in the market for a cost effective device.

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

An early adopter’s dream… to be able to always try the latest and greatest. I am happy to say that the Lumia 635 helps to make this dream come true.

In mid-February 2015, Microsoft released the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Windows Phone through their Windows Insider Program. Excitingly, the Lumia 635 is one of the six devices on which you can run this preview (as of the date of this post - 02/26/15). If you’re a geek, own the Lumia 635, and love the latest and greatest in tech, you should be jumping for joy at this point. You are one of the few that can actually try out Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Lumia 635 before the rest of the world!

Installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on the Lumia 635 is a fairly smooth process. Microsoft did a great job with it, making this available to anyone who wants to give it a shot… and for free too. 

First, you need to be a member of the Windows Insider Program. It is free and painless to join the Windows Insiders Program and you can enroll at http://windows.insider.com. Once enrolled, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download-phone for instructions on how to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Lumia 635. The Windows Insider app needs to be installed on the device. Then, simply open the Windows Insider app and follow the instructions. It took me about an hour in total and a few reboots, as I had to wait for the build to become available after opting into the program through the app.

wp_ss_20150226_0002.jpg wp_ss_20150226_0003.jpgwp_ss_20150226_0004.jpg

At this point, I must write...

WARNING WARNING WARNING: Windows 10 Technical Preview is pre-release software. Bugs, issues, and instability may occur. Microsoft and Sprint are not responsible for your device and what could potentially occur if you were to install this pre-release software. You are the master of your device and take sole responsibility. Furthermore, I am writing this piece not on behalf of Sprint.This post represents my personal opinions and experiences.

In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, there are some cosmetic changes that look pretty snazzy. On the home screen, if you select a background image, some of the tiles will become translucent showing off your wallpaper. Also, some of the tiles are adjustable to be made larger than before.

wp_ss_20150226_0009.jpg

The settings have been organized into sections, which is a helpful enhancement over 8.1:

wp_ss_20150226_0006.jpg

In the apps view, your recently installed apps will appear at the top:

wp_ss_20150226_0011.jpg

In Windows 10 Technical Preview, an expandable Action Center offering now 12 handy accessible items is introduced. As before, you can access the Action Center by dragging down from the top of the screen, and it sits above the notification drawer. Speaking about notifications, now certain notification are interactable. You can now respond to texts from within notifications and dismiss alarms. We hope to see more interactive notification functionality in upcoming builds.

wp_ss_20150226_0012.jpg

This has been just a quick summary of a few of the Windows 10 Technical Preview features I have experienced on the Lumia 635. I will cover more features in future blog posts. 

In short, the Lumia 635 does a great job of handling the Windows 10 Technical Preview. There are a few bugs here and there, such as a process that might quit or lag for a second, but that is to be expected with any pre-release software. Overall, the installation of this software has not hindered my ability to use my Lumia 635 at all, and I have been pleased with the experience.

The Lumia 635 is available for purchase at Sprint.

0 Comments

Xbox-live-update.png

One of my favorite things about using the Lumia 635 is that it integrates with my Xbox One profile and games. I am not a huge gamer but I love my Xbox One and I use it not only to play games, but also as a media device where I download movies and TV shows to watch. My wife and I recently decided to get rid of cable and now we use Netflix, Amazon, and Xbox to watch anything we are interested in. The Lumia syncs perfectly with my Xbox profile and will allow me to play arcade games that I have downloaded on the Xbox and watch any movies or TV shows that I have rented or bought.

In addition to being able to sync media to the phone and Xbox I am also able to stay connected to friends who are on their Xbox profiles. I can see basically the same thing you can see when you look at your Xbox home screen. I can interact with messages and find out who is online and playing games. The other day a few friends were playing Call of Duty and I was not online. Since I am using the Lumia they were able to get in touch with me and we were able to end up connecting and playing. Its been awesome to keep in touch with old friends from Colorado who like to play Xbox and using the Lumia makes it even easier to get in contact with them even when I am not at home.

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

You should know something about me -- I would normally consider myself an Android guy.  I have had the Nokia Lumia 635 for about 4 weeks now, and I should say I am fairly impressed.  Categorically, I would suggest that the phone exceeded the expectations I had initially set for my experience.  Here are my pro's and con's:

Windows Phone Operating System:

I have been using Android for quite some time now.  Every Android phone I have had as experienced laggy, unresponsive applications at some point in time or another.  Of course, turning the phone off and back on, or closing all items in the task manager would correct it.  With the Windows Phone OS, you can expect a consistent, quick response.  I have not experienced a lag or slow down on the device since I have had it.  Seemless transitions from tiles to apps, to multi-tasked windows is a nice change.  The hardware doesn't need to be best-in-class in order to have this wonderful experience.

Applications:

I must say that the Store is somewhat limited in choices.  I find myself carrying around my other phone in order to access some of the Apps I am accustomed to on a daily basis.  Some applications require WiFi capability in order to download, whereas with Android, I was always able to use cellular data if I chose to.

Live Tiles:

I love the concept of Live Tiles, and I find it exceptionally useful when pulling my phone out of my pocket, and visiting my most used tiles.  The "Live" part of the tile tells me what to expect with news, weather, email, messages, or the Windows Store, even before I tap on it.

Cortana:

Being a Halo fan, I was giddy about this feature.  As far as functionality, I give Cortana an A-.  She understands me when I speak to her.  Quick, responsive, and generally accurate makes Cortana a MUST use feature with Windows Phone.  As an added bonus, Cortana sounds more like a real person than Siri, with the added voice inflection and tone.

Voice, Text, and Data:

My voice calls were crystal clear when using the Nokia Lumia.  Dropped calls still occurred, but only in places where my calls usually drop, so there was no degredation in performance.  Texting is quick and easy, and there is even a Swipe equivalent keyboard to use.  LTE was a big change over many of the previous WP devices.  LTE is fast and effective.  Browsing via apps or web browser has never been easer.

When you get the Nokia Lumia 635, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been!

0 Comments

After a number of years using Android phone I have stored all my contacts on my google account. This has enabled me to set up a new phone and immediately to have my contact loaded to the new phone almost a few minutes after I have a new phone activated.  I can also access my address book on my laptop via Gmail contact. Something that I cannot be away with.

Having this Lumia 635 device, I found that you can set up google accounts.  After going through setting up the google account, all my contacts are downloaded, pretty cool.  Great!

After the first day, I started finding that I could not find certain phone numbers to make calls, or incoming calls would not show her name but only the number.  This intrigued me to get to the root of the problem, and I think it is related to:

• the Custom field names that google allow in the contact, and
  • there is some inconsistency in contact sync

So I set up the following experiment.

I created 3 google contacts on my android device:

google-created-contacts-01.jpg

You can see the Custom field names in the contact.

After the initial sync to the Lumia Windows phone, I get the following:

windows-contact-after-sync.jpg

You can see all the Custom entries are not synced to the Windows phone.

I then got on my android phone and change the Custom entry in “John Two Doe” to a standard contact field “Mobile”:

Screenshot_2015-02-24-16-59-42.png

Tried to do a sync from the Lumia Windows phone, but the new data is NOT synced to the phone.

I edited the “John Three Doe” contact on the Lumia Windows phone to have a Mobile entry:

wp_ss_20150224_0004.png

Well after doing a sync from the Lumia phone, nothing is changed on the android phone.  I later checked the “John Three Doe” entry on the Lumia phone, the Mobile entry is wiped out, no phone entry for this contact!

Looks like this Google contact sync utility needs a bit of work on the Lumia phone.

So if you do sync your google contacts to the Lumia Windows phone, if you have standard entry field then likely you are ok, if not be beware.

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Read before Considering Windows 10 Technical Preview for Lumia 635

So undoubtedly, many Windows Phone users have heard some exciting buzz surrounding a technical preview of Windows 10.  It's Ok to be honest and know your sense of adventure overwhelms you.  With Microsoft adding the Lumia 635 to the Windows Insider roster, it's even harder to resist being a part of this opportunity.  However, as your product ambassador, I still have to speak up and issue a few personal words of caution.  Remember, Microsoft issues this just how it's stated, a "Technical Preview".  Please read all disclaimers carefully and understand, there's the limited support provided during this period.  Although there are plenty of cool new features to try out, the presentation isn't finalized and there still quite a few features sacrificed during this evaluation.  From the Microsoft site, pay extra attention to the "What features are missing in Technical Preview?" and factor that into any decision you make.  Understand things like the windowsphone.com portal may not be linked fully once moving to the Technical Preview.  Thus, it's sometimes better to hold off till the launch is official.  Microsoft's commitment is there one year after launch you'll have ample opportunity for an OS upgrade.  It's nothing more than my opinion but the best things come to those who wait.  Especially with an exciting device such as the Lumia 635 on Sprint, familiarizing yourself with a full set of Windows Phone 8.1 tools only gets you fully ready when Windows 10 finally comes over.  My blogs for certain will highlight many of those Windows 8.1 features that will only get better as Window Phone develops.  Till then enjoy the Windows experience.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

0 Comments

endomondo4.png

Fitness apps on phones are the most important thing for me, so when I was selected to test out the Lumia 635 I was eager to see if they had the apps that I use on other platforms. When you go into the health and fitness section in the app store, the top three free apps are Stopwatch Timer, Microsoft Health, and Fitbit. Microsoft Health is only usable if you have a Microsoft wearable accessory. I do use Fitbit to track my steps and workouts so I downloaded it and started using it right away.

The Fitbit app on Windows is very minimalistic, which is how I would describe Windows phone overall. Everything works great and is quick but there is not a lot of design or extra features to make it stand out. The Fitbit Charge synced with the phone right away and it has never crashed on me. Overall it works great and does the job it is designed to do.

I was also able to find MyFitnessPal which I use to track calories and exercise. This app also worked great but seemed a little outdated from the current Android version. As far as tracking food, you can search for any item and scan barcodes for easy access. For some reason I was not as eager to use MyFitnessPal on Windows. I went back to my Android phone and started to use it instead and it syncs to all platforms.

Endomondo was the best of the three apps that I used for fitness on the Lumia. It looks and run the same as its Android counterpart and the GPS stayed stable the entire time. If you need a workout tracker on Windows Phone I highly suggest Endomondo. It has awesome features and looks good on any platform.

I was really glad to see a lot of the top Android fitness apps on the Lumia. Windows seems to be a step back in the design area on a lot of the apps but it trades that off for stability and function. Everything just works on a Windows phone and I have not experienced any crashes. The GPS is just as good as any other phone I have used and overall I was happy with the fitness experience I have had with the Lumia 635.

0 Comments

sprintlumia635full.jpg

It’s been a long time since I used a Windows phone, so I was excited to be able to try out the Lumia 635. A few years ago Windows did not have a lot of the apps that I used on a daily basis, so I went back to Android pretty quickly. The first thing I noticed about the phone was the vibrant blue color. This phone really stands out and has an interchangeable shell which allows you to buy different colors if wanted. I really like the blue and it’s a nice change from the normal whites, blacks, and golds. The Lumia 635 is a mid-range phone but it packs a lot of power under the hood. The phone has been quick with everything I have thrown at it. Some of the pros of the phone are the overall look, speed, live tiles, Cortana, and updated apps. Some of the cons have been the screen and camera. The phone does not have a front facing camera and the camera it does have will not win any awards. The screen is noticeably low quality. Compared to some other mid-range phones I have used this has been the weakest of the three. It is still not a deal breaker because it’s good enough to use daily and the cost of the phone is so low it’s hard to pass it up. I’m looking forward to testing out some of the apps I use daily on my Lumia and hope to experience some new apps that are optimized for Windows phones. Keep checking back in this space for more tips and reviews of the Lumia 635.

0 Comments

The easiest way to make the battery for the Nokia Lumia 635 last longer between charges is to use Battery Saver.

Battery Saver allows you to turn off all low priority features and squeeze all the life out of the battery in just a few taps. Battery saver lets the user see how much battery power certain apps are consuming and the user can control whether they can run in the background, this saves heavily on battery power. This info is off Microsoft site to guide you through the process of getting the most out of the battery.

battery-saver-settings-screen_InvariantCulture_Default.png

Turn off nonessential features

If you prefer the blanket approach to conserving battery, you can use Battery Saver to turn off the nonessential features that consume battery in the background. When you do this, your phone won't be able to:

• Automatically receive email or calendar updates
  • Update some Live Tiles

You can still make and receive phone calls, get and send text messages, and browse the Internet.

To change Battery Saver settings

1. 1.     In the App list, tap Battery Saver .

Note

If you don't have Windows Phone 8.1 installed, you can use Battery Saver by going toSettings > Battery Saver.

1. 2.     In Settings, do one of the following:
    • Tap Off to turn off Battery Saver.
    • Tap When battery is under 20% if you want Battery Saver to conserve power when the battery level gets low.
    • Tap Always (limits functionality) if you want Battery Saver to conserve power all the time. Think twice before choosing this option—your phone will prevent most background functions.
    • Turn on Now until next charge  if you want Battery Saver to conserve power immediately and then return to normal battery usage the next time you charge your phone.

Tip

You can add Battery Saver as a quick action in action center to quickly change its settings. To learn more about how to use quick actions, see Use quick actions on my phone.

Limit background usage

Some apps can drain the battery even when you're not using them at the moment—this is known as background usage. Battery Saver lets you control your phone's battery usage on a per-app basis.

Note

Limiting background usage in Battery Saver is only available for Windows Phone 8.1.

To allow apps to run in the background

1. 1.     In the App list, tap Battery Saver . Swipe over to Usage to see a list of your apps and their relative battery consumption.
  2. 2.     Tap an app, then turn on Allow app to run in the background .

Note

This option won't appear for some apps.

Tip

If you want to allow apps to run in the background even when Battery Saver is on, tap theAllow this app to run in the background even when Battery Saver is on check box.

Battery-saving tips

Here are some more ways to conserve battery on your phone.

Display

• Reduce the time before the screen turns off.
  • Lower the brightness setting.
  • Use a dark background theme.
  • Turn off the screen during calls.
  • Turn off the viewfinder after you take a picture.

Syncing

• Sync email less often.
  • Choose which contacts are synced to your phone.
  • Limit what you pin to Start. It's great to have your favorite things—people, apps, songs, and more—pinned to Start so you can access them quickly. Just be aware that the more Live Tiles you have on Start, the more battery you use.
  • Upload only the pictures you want to keep.
  • Check social media less often.

General

• Restart your phone if you notice short battery life.
  • Use headphones.
  • Turn off Bluetooth connections you're not using.

- This guide and screenshot is from Battery: making it last on
	 your Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States...

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

When you first hold the Nokia Lumia 635, you notice the back cover wraps around the sides making it look like a single slap of plastic to glass. This made me think that I couldn't replace the battery. Well I was wrong and I really enjoy this approach on phones. It is such a simple idea that nobody is talking about. The back shell acts as a case to protect the corners and body of the phone. Now this wouldn't stop a drop right on the front screen. Not only is it very functional it is a nice style additive. Nokia gives you five different options besides the beautiful blue that came with my Nokia Lumia 635. Below I have attached a screenshot of the available colors. Nokia has always loved making colorful phones and is no different for the 635. They offer yellow, green, orange, white and black. Microsoft has made them relatively cheap to personalize your device to your liking.

nokia shells.PNG

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

2 Comments

The wonderful Lumia 635 is a snappy device at an affordable price. One of the things that helped keep the cost down was the omittance of a front-facing camera.

The Lumia 635 comes with a rear-facing camera with the following features and specs:

• 5.0 MP
  • Auto focus
  • digital zoom: 4 x
  • Sensor size: 1/4 inch
  • f-number/aperture: f/2.4
  • focal length: 28 mm
  • features: auto and manual exposure, auto and manual white balance, automatic photo upload to web services, full resolution photo and video upload, full screen viewfinder, geotagging, landscape orientation, touch focus
  • minimum focus range: 10 cm
  • video resolution: 720p (HD, 1280 x 720)
  • video frame rate: 30 fps
  • video zoom: 4 x
  • video recording features: video zoom, continuous autofocus
  • video recording formats: MP4/H.264

Personally, only having a rear-facing camera is not an issue for me, as I rarely take selfies. However, for the majority of people that like to take selfies, this might a concern.  Fortunately, there is a solution available... the Lumia Selfie app.

lumiaSelfieIcon.png

Lumia Selfie is the perfect app for taking selfies. The app is packaged with an “Auto Selfie” feature that assists you with taking a picture with the rear-facing camera. The Lumia 635 phone will beep to help you get the camera positioned properly, and then automatically take your picture. You are able to edit the photo and apply high quality effects as well. I tried this myself, and it works quite well.

So, don’t let the lacking of a front-facing camera be a deterrent, as there is a viable workaround. Enjoy the price break instead!

The Lumia 635 is available for purchase at Sprint.