cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

Highlighted
Journeyman

first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

Hey there.  Just was sitting here thinking on things cellphone related and got to wondering, what was the first cellphone you had?  And also, what was the first Sprint phone you had?  I remember the first handset i had, it was a Uniden unit, analog only, and rather simple compaired to the one i got now, although the audio on that thing was STELLAR for an analog handset.  Had a pull-out antenna (small flexible whip on top of the unit) and the look of it kinda put me in mind of one of my VHF Amateur radios i owned.  First Sprint unit i had?  I remember that one very well, and fondly too Smiley Happy.  It was a MM8300 by Sanyo, that unit was analog/digital capible and could do some nifty (for that time anyway, we didn`t have snazzy smartphones yet...at least ones that we could afford LOL!) thingies like wireless web, and a nifty thingy called ReadyLink, which later morphed into Direct Connect and later on down the tracks morphed into Sprint Direct Connect (and for me that begat things like Zello Smiley Happy).  Now when i look back on that first Sprint phone i sometimes find myself missing that rather plain-jane MM8300 sometimes, it was a really nice flip phone even though it couldn`t run apps like my spiffy new Kyocera DuraForce pro can (it could run apps, but only one at a time and ya paid a recurrent charge (subscription fee) to use the app you downloaded.  That old Sanyo unit also could only do 1xRTT internet, making it VERY SLOW compaired to today`s handsets that do zippy fast LTE.  Yeah, them were some intresting days when we had older handsets.  But when ya think on it, them units did work pretty well for what they did.  TK241  P.S.  Wanna take a trip down menory lane sometime?  do a google search for a site called "Radio Shack Catalogs".  The site has an archive of all the catalogs that RS ever published, and there`s some pics of the (really old Smiley Happy) handsets that they used to sell way back when, quite the fun look-see.

13 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

The very first phone I ever had was a bag phone, remember those?

Nokia Bag phone from the 1990sNokia Bag phone from the 1990s

THEN! I had a StarTak and being a big ol' nerd, of course it felt like I had a Communicator from StarTrek.  Remember when your basic cell phone plan gave you something like 60 minutes a month?  Yikes!  Thank goodness for Unlimited Smiley Wink

That Radio Shack catalog was a hoot!

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Oh i know, and i still miss them old bagphones every now and then, they did one thing REALLY well, and that is making/taking calls.  No internet or apps to goose up the works, just a phone that could do voice calling, which back then was all we needed.  Like i said, my first phone was a Uniden unit (strange to think of it now, i have a Uniden scanning reciever for my two-way radio intrests Smiley Happy).  And in addition to a small bucket of plan minutes, ya remember roamming?  And ya paid out the nose for roamming charges too.  I recall an incident that was told me by a friend once, seems he couldn`t get a signal to make a call (he was up by Lake Superior camping), so he want up to the top of this hill to make the call, later on he gets his bill...and discovers that when he made that call his analog handset had locked onto a tower in CANADA!  He didn`t know that while he was on this call he was actually ROAMMING on a site in another country (to wit: Canada) and he ate a BIG charge for that one call.  Strange to think that our snazzy new smartphones can find a site prety much anywhere, but back then if ya could get your phone to see service at all you were INSANELY lucky.  Wouldn`t it be fun to see, just for kicks, if ya could even get one of them old units to activate & affileate with a network (it could lock on but you wouldn`t be able to make or get calls i bet).  I still remembe my old Nokia 5120, a older TDMA handset, didn`t have internet but the audio on that digital unit was really good (on a par with my digital amateur tranciever), and it was a really nice handset too.  Like i said, sometimes i do find myself pinning for them old units, they were good at what they did.  TK241

GrandMaster

fo sho jumping into this one..the actual first phone i had...as in wasnt shared with the wife etc was a slider phone..for the life of me i cant remember what it was called but you flipped it sideways and slid it down so you had a full keyboard..i remember it was red and the cats meow around that time lol..dear god i remember loading small shows onto a sd card and watching stuff like family guy on that way tiny compared to now screen lol lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Nice!  I still remember my (late) brother-in-law`s old bag phone, back then we had a provide called CellullarOne, and you had home service basically in the north half if this state (WI), and everything to the south was roamming.  And ya didn`t have free long distance ether, i remember making a call to my folks` once and ending up paying 13 cents a minute for the call, might not seem like much, but that 13 cents could add up.  One intresting thingy i found during an experiment i did once on my bro`s bagphone was that even with the "stock" antenna on the unit the thing would fight to hold a signal, once we had to call my sister...from out in a plowed field with only one bar of signal...and the call still went through, now hooking up a better (read, more gain, mobile) antenna made things way better out in a "bare signal" area.  But even just the stock antenna did really well compaired to the units we have now.  I wouldda loved to see how these snazzy new handsets wouldda fared in the older cellullar world where it was easier for my amateur radio to hit a repeater than it was to get your phone to lock onto a tower, just to see how our gee-wiz handset of today would go.  Might be fun Smiley Happy.  TK241

Journeyman

Now i gotta sak y`all this, who was your first cellullar provider?  First one i had was a company called CellullarOne, actually pretty good for a small, regional carrier (north half of Wisconsin).  They had some intresting handsets, although most of `em were what i call "walk-overs" meaning used or refurbished units.  After a nasty issue with getting the internet to work right on a "refurb" handset i finally decided to jump ship and came to Sprint, where i got my really nice (for that time anyway) MM8300 by Sanyo.  Odly enough i still kinda miss that old flipphone, it was kinda fun even though it didn`t do the web very fast (only did 1xRTT), but it was a pretty cool unit.  I got a kick outta the fact that i could FINALLY run apps...albiet one at a time, and unlike now you paid a monthly fee to use your apps, and that old Sanyo did some nifty thingies like something called ReadyLink (which later on way down the tracks morphed onto today`s Sprint Direct Connect Smiley Happy).  Yeah, some fun days when phones were a lot older (and mabey a smidgen simpler too).  TK241

GrandMaster

i think my first provider on my own was Sprint way back in the day. and i remember my dad having one of those heavy as heck phone in a bags for his truck..tons of travel for work.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:
i think my first provider on my own was Sprint way back in the day. and i remember my dad having one of those heavy as heck phone in a bags for his truck..tons of travel for work.

Yeah those old bag phones were big and kinda heavy, but they did one thingy really well, getting and making calls, and that was all we really cared about back then (given that roamming was GNARLY EXPENSIVE you really didn`t even use a cellphone all that much anyway, even in your "home" area calling, `specially long distance, could be a hit on the wallet too).  Thingy i remember about them days with all these small, regional providers is how hard it could be just to get your unit to even SEE service at all, if ya could get your phone to lock onto a network and afileate (meaning be authorized for service) you were insanely lucky.  But the other nice thingy is since those handsets were only analog hitting a tower could be intresting, i still think of that time in southern WI when we had to make a call and had only one bar of signal, the call went through without being dropped Smiley Happy.  If ya know where to look you still can find them old bagphones, you just couldn`t activate one, but wouldn`t it be fun if ya could...yeah, might be cool to see what would crop up Smiley Very Happy.  TK241

GrandMaster

could you imagine the looks you would get packing that thing along over your shoulder acting like you are talking on it? with a cord coming off of it to the receiver? bets people would actually want one for their own even though it was HUGE? lol
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:
could you imagine the looks you would get packing that thing along over your shoulder acting like you are talking on it? with a cord coming off of it to the receiver? bets people would actually want one for their own even though it was HUGE? lol

Oh i know LOL Smiley Very Happy!  And if you could even get the thing to actually LOCK ON to a network AND THEN get it to authenticate...now THAT would be a major hoot!  I know of some fellow ham radio ops that have done some intresting experiments with these old bagphones just for kicks to try to make `em into glorified two-way radios, with varying levels of success, now that would be fun for me to see, just to see how it would shake out Smiley Happy.  TK241

Master

Remember the old SGH-500 by Samsung? That was my first mobile phone and it was on the Sprint network as well. Have no clue anymore what plan that was at the time. Extremely basic internet, back when the web wasn't so popular and webpages were served up without all the images and advertising junk.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

My first cell phone was a boring LG and I was thrilled to have it! 

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.  

Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!