cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

Journeyman

Re: first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

smotrs wrote:

Remember the old SGH-500 by Samsung? That was my first mobile phone and it was on the Sprint network as well. Have no clue anymore what plan that was at the time. Extremely basic internet, back when the web wasn't so popular and webpages were served up without all the images and advertising junk.

Actually if you go to Phonescoop you can see some of them older (WAY older Smiley Happy) handsets like the one ya mentioned.  I found two of the older ones i had that were on Sprint, my first one, which was a MM8300 by Sanyo (nifty little flipphone that could do some fun stuff like a nifty thingy called Readylink and really slow 1xRTT for surfing the web), and the second one i owned, the IC902, which was one of them "hybrid" units that could do Sprint for regular calls and IDEN for direct connect.  Had a blast experimenting around with that nifty little flip.  Only bad bit with that `un was it couldn`t roam like a regular phone could, which made it kinda useless when i was up north, since the roamming was the same band as the DC feature, which was kinda inconvienient.  But that one was one nice unit, and i do kinda miss it.  TK241

Journeyman

Re: first cellphone you ever owned? Fist Sprint phone you ever owned?

smotrs wrote:

Remember the old SGH-500 by Samsung? That was my first mobile phone and it was on the Sprint network as well. Have no clue anymore what plan that was at the time. Extremely basic internet, back when the web wasn't so popular and webpages were served up without all the images and advertising junk.

While i don`t remember that handset (tried to find it on Phonescoop on the "phones" page just to see what it looked like) i DO remember when the web on a handset was really basic, no pics, no ads (like all the ad junk we got now), and most handsets, if they could even DO the web, did only 1xRTT, which was pokey slow compaired to now with zippy fast LTE Smiley Happy.  And not only that, you couldn`t access the web outside of the Sprint network (at least at first anyway, by the time i came to Sprint you could...it was called data roamming).  I remember thinking how cool it was that i could actually run apps on my (at that time) kinda cheap MM8300 by Sanyo, and finding it kinda fun to be able to bring up a weather radar and see conditions pretty much anywhere...from pretty much anywhere, which i thought was really cool (now it`s not all that much of a biggie, but i still find it fun).  TK241

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!