cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Premium Data Service Fees

Highlighted
Journeyman

4G Premium Data Service Fees

Is there any indication that Sprint will be removing their $10 premium 4G service fee ? I live around 10 minutes from NE Philly in New Jersey. I have the HTC Evo and I love the phone ,but the 4G service is a joke . I've been a customer for over FIVE years now and I get insulted with Sprint's Premium Customer offers of phone wallpapers, ringtones and games that no one wants just they just give them away. Then you want me to pay an additional $10 for a service that I'm not guaranteed to have access to. I can't be the only person who feels that they a being ripped off by the 4G Premium Service fees. If Sprint wants to show appreciation to their long term customer's then they need to rethink their methods. I would like to hear from a sprint customer serivce rep regarding this before I lose my patients .

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 4G Premium Data Service Fees

4G sucks. With the slow deployment and broke ass clearwire.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I don't understand about the whole 4G service is Sprint's explanation that because 4G service will provide a "richer data experience," they will charge an extra $10 month for the service. Sprint currently offers an unlimited data plan for 3G service. If the data is unlimited, then how could I use more data that justifies being charged a data fee? From what I understand, 4G is something that can be toggled on and off. If I am watching something on the Sprint TV application or watching a YouTube video, how do I use more data on 4G than I do on 3G?

There is a discussion about this fee over at explainthefee.com, but from what I have seen, there isn't anything that clearly explains why this is charged and what it is for. According to the latest entry, a fee of $4.46 is paid to provider called Clearwire. In a comment, someone has speculated that the difference between what Sprint pays Clearwire and the $10 total is a $5.54 service fee passed along to the customer.

I've been trying to do some research and can't see any evidence that Verizon, T-mobile, or AT&T are charging for "enhanced" service like 4G, although I understand that those mobile providers don't have the same plans as Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I read that Clearwater charges a fee for Sprint customers to use the network and Sprint passes this along to us. Sprint is taking Clearwater to an arbitrator to try to get rid of the fee
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/11/12/sprint-premium-10-4g-fee-going-away-sprint-clearwire-dispute-may...

Highlighted
Journeyman

... or Sprint will keep the $10 to themselves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wish I would have been informed on the front side of the Evo purchase. To get my bill now a month later... with 2 evo upgrades my bill went up $20.

On top of that there's no 4G even in Phoenix....  Sprint has been good to us, but this is shady.  VC

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been considering a phone upgrade, but most likely, the phone would probably end up having 4G capability. I'm trying to get a clear understanding of exactly why the premium data services fee is charged. I understand that there is a fee payed by Sprint to Clearwire for the 4G service. I've seen posts basically indicating that because the data features have been boosted, that a premium data fee is required. I've also seen posts indicating that because Sprint expects a 4G user to use more data, that this fee is required. If an unlimited data plan for $69.99 per month is offered, then how is it possible to use "extra data?"

Is this premium data fee truly for "recovering" the costs incurred by Sprint for using the Clearwire service? Is this fee for the purpose of expanding the 4G network? Some explanations of this fee seem to indicate that it's for the hardware, which would mean that I would purchase the phone and then continue paying for it every month for the duration of time that I have the phone.

There is supposedly 4G service that was just launched in Miami, FL. While I work in that city, I don't live there, so there wouldn't be much phone use in that city. Just trying to determine if I should just hold off on a phone upgrade and wait to see what else comes out.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.