cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G not really 4G

Journeyman

4G not really 4G

Disclaimer: I am currently using an EVO; I love the service and it's much better than T-Mobile, who I happily broke my contract with to go to Sprint.

I'm unclear as to why Sprint is labeling their/Clear's WiMax network as "4G".  According to the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), who develops a good deal of the mobile technologies we use today, 4G should have speeds of no less than 100 Mbps (megabits per second).  I understand that it is TERRIFIC marketing to be the first carrier to indroduce a "4G" network, but this misleads the customers.  Now, Sprint is not the only company to do this; T-Mobile's new HSPA+ network just got rolled out and they are also marketing it as 4G.  I understand Sprint and Clear wanting to call their WiMax technology 4G, since they had to build a new infrastructure from the ground up to accommodate this; it costs a LOT of money to implement a new technology.  T-Mobile, and soon to be AT&T, have labeled their new tech as 4G, while only using a software update to start up their "4G".  And all of this is misleadingly being called 4G, when it is more like 3.5G.  My question is this: since the foreseeable trend with all the major wireless carriers in the U.S. is to migrate to LTE (Long Term Evolution, also a 3G technology), and to call new technologies names that they aren't, what will they call it? 5G?

Tags (5)
2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: 4G not really 4G

This needs to be brought to everyones attention because this is false advertisement.

Journeyman

Re: 4G not really 4G

You are correct when it comes to TMobile and AT&T theres is 3.5G in my opinion 4G is not based on speeds its all about through put and ping times,to me those are or should be the deciding factors when it comes to what generation it is. I just dropped my grandfathered unlimited 3G plan from Sprint because it is high ping times and not much through put,same with hspa+ high download speeds but nothing else.Then u look at wimax and clear and lte all have fast speeds and there through put and ping times are much better so i would classify them as 4G.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.