Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great INFO on Wimax vs. LTE

Highlighted
Wizard

Great INFO on Wimax vs. LTE

Enjoy it!

Wimax and LTE are not competing against each other. There is no  winner/loser. They are not made to destroy each other. Wimax is going  nowhere. Ultimately wimax will have more coverage. Why? Because cities  will use wimax for everything from parking meters to free wimax. Cable  companies will use it as last mile of service. Walmart will use it for  connections from store to store. Every corporation will use it to  replace wifi and a wimax phone will be able to use all those towers for  free. That is the wonderful thing about wimax. The standard says any  app, any device, and any founding carrier. LTE is only a cellphone  standard, only going to be used by cellphones. Comparing them is like  comparing current 3g cdma to wifi. Completely different uses. Wimax is  made to bring everything you own a broadband connection. Your home, your  car, your phone, your netbook, your work, your tv, everything. LTE is  only for you mobile phone. LTE does not have the bandwidth to do any  more. Wimax has enough bandwidth, to bring every home, pc, cellphone, a  100mbs connection and still have more bandwidth left over for all of lte  uses. That is the problem. LTE has very little bandwidth. Not much more  then what is being used today, but the current cellphones.

That  is why sprint went with wimax. Every major company, city, county, state,  and country store will have a wimax connection. Comcast has not even  started it's roll out of wimax and either has Time/Warner. LTE and wimax  are both good techs, but Wimax will be more available around the world.  LTE is going to be very limited in bandwidth. Let me make this clear.

Wimax  will be installed and used more in the united states and around the  world, by far. But LTE will be used by more cell phones. It is even  possible for sprint to use lte, if they choose to. But it is not some  stupid betamax/vhs thing. There is no winner/loser. There is only  wifi/bluetooth/cdma/evo/gsm/htspa thing.

Intel, google, and  samsung alone has more billions of dollars then all the cellphone  companies multi millions put together together. Not multi millions,  multi billons. LTE and WIMAX are not fighting each other, and no one  will win. This is true, but wimax has a lot of spectrum. The FCC is  going to open up 2.5, 2.3, and 3.1 ghz (maybe the 5ghz) for wimax. Which  means faster is faster.

LTE has at most 7 channels at 1.4mhz and  only 1 at 10mhz, per tower. Right now, wimax has 256 channels (only 200  will me used max) at 20mhz. (for those that do not know the bigger the  mhz, the faster the channel). Each channel can do about 130 devices. So  at 7 channels, an area that has more then 900 devices (max), you are  going to see slowdown (this is just theoretical, no lte tower has every  been tested doing this).

Wimax can do 26,000 devices at full bore  per tower (130 x 200 channels). What does that mean? Well it means that  under normal use, lte is a great option. But wimax can just keep adding  devices because it has the bandwidth to do it. This is why the cable  companies have support it.

LTE will start to slow down a lot if  too many people use it. All the evidence says that Wimax will not. In  fact, I have noticed under load wimax becomes quicker. But it's all  about marketing. Why did Clear and sprint say lte? Because wimax will  cover where there is no LTE, and LTE will cover where there is no wimax.  You can make a wimax/lte chip and LTE will be forced to share. They are  just saying that LTE will happen, to make sure when a consumer is in a  spot there they don't have wimax, they still have 4g coverage.

But  those spots will get harder and harder to find. There are whole cities  that are going to be using wimax. Even city buses will have a wimax  towers on them.

LTE is like apple. Closed sourced, closed minded,  closed ecosystem.

Wimax is like android, 100% open sourced, open  minded, thus allowing any device in it's open ecosystem to be used for  what ever you feel want.

Tags (4)
1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

Re: Great INFO on Wimax vs. LTE

I've researched Wimax and LTE quite a bit, and being that Wimax uses time-division-duplexing and LTE uses frequency-division-duplexing, I personally would prefer LTE over Wimax, as Wimax will have a much higher latency because of how it must work. Wimax is force to pause periodically (in very small increments) to upload, while LTE has a dedicated frequency to upload. Both a super fast, but LTE is structured more like typical high-speed internet companies with 1/3 to 1/4 being for upload and 2/3 to 3/4 being for download.  Wimax is definitely unique and still is a great technology, especially for browsing web pages, one that I wouldn't have a problem using either, but if I had a preference...I would definitely go with LTE as it would be better suited for latency dependent tasks such as video chats, talking, VoIP, online gaming (although far from recommended). Both technologies are broadcasted over the air, so both will always have latency the same as we have now with 3G technology, however WiMax will have even more latency.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.