cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My HTC EVO (Not so) 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My HTC EVO (Not so) 4G?

I'm in the chicagoland area, and according to the Sprint coverage map, I'm bathed in blue (4G blue that is) so I should be rocking out at 4G speeds with no issues, right?

Instead, I can hardly ever connect to 4G (Though when I do, it's some kind of wonderfu! Uber fast) and when I do, I hardly get any bars and I'll be kicked back to 3G in a matter of minutes. Anyone else in the area suffering the same? If yes/no is this something I should be talking to Sprint about to make sure all is well with my phone?

It's a shame I love this phone so much. Why is it a shame? Well, 3G speeds on Sprint are more than enough to me. Although 4G speeds remind me of being in wifi (When surfing the web at any rate) and that truly amazes me. I can get speeds I was getting on DSL back in the day, and on a phone no less. So I'm left to wonder why pay Sprint $10 more, when their 3G is so fast for me. Well, again, I love this phone and can't let it go. So with that said, I'm stuck paying $10 more than I normally would. And so I'd like the service I'm paying for, to ya know, work. It'd also be great to show friends and family my 4G speeds.

Any help, or just shared stories about this (Good or bad) from others would be great. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: My HTC EVO (Not so) 4G?

I live in on a 43rd floor apt in the Presidntial Towers (in the West Loop), and just upgraded to the EVO 4G last weekend.

I get very weak signals (1X, EvDO, WiMax) on my old Mogul as well as on this new EVO.  Based on a number of reviews by others in the Chicago area, it seems that a lot of people are having reception problems (seems to be on all carriers) on higher floors (around 20-some floors and up).  I found an apartment review article dated in 2007 about Presidential Towers having reception problems, and people talking on cell phone in the 3rd floor concourse.  I have to say that this phenomenon persists today as we're into the second half of 2010.  I regularly see people in their pajamas talking on cell phones in the said concourse.  My friend on the 23rd floor in the same building, however, has no problem with reception (Verizon and Sprint).  In fact, my EVO gets fair to good reception there.  On the 3rd floor, I get excelent reception.

Here's a speedtest result done today on the 3rd floor:

speedtest201007061704.png4Gsettings201007061705.png

I know many department stores and other public places along the Manificent Miles install femtocell devices to boost reception indoors, and I've heard some law firms on high floors also use femtocell to get around reception issue.  I just hope that carriers would have a systematic solution to this seemingly universal problem.

Journeyman

I feel your pain. Baltimore was the first 4G city.....sort of..... back in 2008 with XOHM. I still have a useless XOHM modem (useless now that we have been switched over to clear hardware). It seems clear (no pun intended....really!) that the Evo's reception of a 4G signal is no where near as strong as that of Clear's modem and Clear's mobile devices. I was wondering if a software update would fix that like it did for the wifi receiver.....but so far .....not so much. So in Baltimore where Clear and Sprint have patted themselves on the back (as a 4G "Mission Accomplished") there are many holes in 4G coverage and I bet there always will be as they move on to supply patchy service in other cities.

Journeyman

Those are nice speeds. Within a 8 minute walk, from my house I get 3 bars of 4G signal (and 7-9 mbps down and 900kbps up)  but in my house. I get (sometimes not always) a zero bar 4G signal in one room and no 4G at all in my other rooms. I actually have to just about put my Evo on the window sill to get even that crappy level of signal (in an are that Sprint and Clear call "4G"). At home at least I have wifi (and 50mbps/10mbps Comcast service). At work I have decent (1-2 bars of 4G) 4G coverage. So when I'm at work, I turn off the wifi (which is linked to Verizon's snail-pace DSL) and turn on the 4G radio. So I guess I don't mind (well not too much anyway) paying an extra $10 for patchy service. Because I love the phone! I would love to see a comparison of 4G reception between the EVO and the Epic.

Journeyman

I work downtown in the Chase Tower .. the center of the Loop but on the 46th floor =D  Its was interesting to read about the 20 floor cut off.  Downstairs/Outside its blazing which is cool but upstairs it just flips between 4G and 3G which causes its own slow downs I am assuming from renegotiating the network.

I didn’t get the phone because of 4G but because of all the other cool features but after getting it and seeing how slick it is with 4G in action I just want more!  The problem is that I dont work outside lol.

There are a few things they should address.

#1 the mandatory 10 bucks for 4G.  I end up turning off the 4G so that it doesn’t disrupt my working 3G signal.  This just seems like a forced add-on that doesn’t really work.  I feel bad for people that have to pay this and don’t even have 4G coverage.

#2 Wish they had a status bar or something that said 4G available.  If I just leave the 4G radio on it sucks up the battery and disrupts my 3G.  Why cant it flip seamlessly between 3 and 4G?

#3 The Qik video is also misleading and only works between 2 Evo phones.  I thought that if someone was watching your stream on their website it would be real time but no.  I need to find someone with a EVO to try this out.

For now 4G is turned off and still enjoying the phone ... laughs at my old iphone collecting dust!

Journeyman

I have this same problem with my 4g usb modem out in Oakbrook - the modem says that 4g is available at full strength, but 80% of the time it can't connect.  One day it'll connect and be fine, but the next three days it won't connect at all.  Tech support says it's because I'm on the 7th floor of the building, which seems a little preposterous.  The support guy was claiming that you could really only use 4G service on the lowest floors of a building, and once you got past the 4th floor, you were SOL.

Journeyman

I just received my 4G Availability email yesterday for here in Denver, CO and the network is nothing to write home about...  In fact, I get a "Fair" coverage rating by my EVO/Sprint and I live less than a mile from downtown Denver.  Truth be told it really just wastes my battery because it constantly jumps back to 3G when the 4G signal is not strong enough.  Then it will scan for the 4G and now I am scanning and running 3G, hence my battery is gone in 3-4 hours...  Hopefully this gets corrected but not very satisfied at the moment with having to wait a few months past what i was originally told and now that 4G is finally here it gravely falls short of my expectations, and they were less than advertised in the commercial...

Does this get any better?

Journeyman

I'm out in Los Angeles and I've been receiving the same type of 4G signal as you guys. Bad! I would use other words but I would probably be censored in this forum.

Anyways, I took a trip to the county next door and my 4G service was awesome. Everything Sprint marketing said it would be. But back at home, it is BAD. It has to be the network performing really poorly. My 3G connection works even faster than 4G.

Journeyman

Whether I'm in 3G/4G Chicagoland, 3G New Orleans or 3G Pensacola I don't even bother trying to use my phone for anything but the most basic internet tasks (checking email, reading news). The connection is just so undependable and wildly inconsistent that trying to do anything else is an exercise in futility. I am typing this reply on my phone now. Just getting to this page took more than 5 minutes because the 3G connection kept flickering on and off. AIM registers me as having been disconnected 7 times in the last hour. I am in a 4G coverage area currently, and the 4G icon comes on every now and then. My last 3 speed tests registered 23.1 mbps (seriously), 1.1 and 0.2, in that order. In Pensacola last week I gave up trying to show someone a YouTube and just asked them to pull it up on their iPhone. Much faster that way.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.