cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint 4G Available in Dallas?

Highlighted
Patron

Sprint 4G Available in Dallas?

My Sprint 4G U300  was only working in "Mobile" mode until last night when it started connecting to the Sprint 4G network (at amazing speeds!). Anyone else in the Dallas market notice this?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Sprint 4G has not launched in Dallas yet.  It's possible that they could be testing.  Enjoy!

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I just received my new Franklin UG300 USB modem and my new PHS300S wireless router (Cradlepoint).

Initially I had difficulty in activating my new card.  I contacted Sprint to activate the new USB Modem and the first person I spoke to told me that the USB UG300 Modem was not compatible with any Windows XP systems with Service Pack 3.  Remember now this is the USB Modem (Franklin UG300) that is specifically designed to work with not only the new 4g system but also the old 3g system.  I could not believe that such new hardware being released at a national level would not be "incompatible" with computer systems that are being currently operated by at least 90% of the computing population.

I tried what usually works and called back getting another sprint tech telling me the same thing.  For whatever reason, and even though I was told it is impossible, my UG 300 USB Modem started working with my Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3 computer.

One obstacle down one to go.  Then I tried to connect wirelessly through my new PHS300S wireless router, which by the way is touted on Sprint's own website as the one USB wireless router which will work with "the" sprint USB modem for 3g and 4g.  Once again I was told that they were not compatible.  Again, even though Sprint's own website touts this wireless router is the one to have.  Once again and for whatever reason my incompatible wireless router (you remember the one which was impossible to work with my incompatible USB Modem) started working just fine.  Not only did it work but it started picking up a 4g connection just as was previously reported.  Of course I am in Fort Worth rather than Dallas (same market though).

I wish Sprint had more technicians like the second technician I spoke to as she was extremely helpful and was even so interested in how I got my computer up and running not only on the impossible USB modem but also with the incompatible wireless router that she called me back so as to try and figure out what worked. Kudos to the second tech I spoke to.  I hope they keep records of which tech took care of which customer as she did a fantastic job.

As far as Sprint themselves, I have been with them for many years, but I have serious reservatiobns about a national company selling equipment claiming to be the "fit" for all your 3g and 4g needs only to find out this hardware has not been field tested and is at best questionable whether these two pieces of hardware should even be out on the street released to the general public, much less being proclaimed to be the answer to 3g AND 4g connectivity.

Highlighted
Patron

yeah I know "officially" it hasnt rolled out herel

Journeyman

I was told by a Sprint store tech that 4g would be available in the DFW area by the end of October.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

As you probably know by now, the Dallas/Ft.Worth market was rolled out on Nov. 1st, and is now live.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes it is available, but I sure hope they have plans for adding more towers because it is extremely sporatic in many areas.  It is kind of like everything electronic nowadays, that being when it works, it works great but when it doesn't, it doesn't.   Is there any news regarding the addition of more towers for 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'm not really sure if they are continually adding new towers in launched cities or if they work more with fine tuning the towers they have in place. If you have a location that you regularly visit that the coverage maps show good coverage and you are not getting good coverage, make sure to put in a network inquiry ticket (through Sprint if you use Sprint 4G.)  They will forward it on and open a ticket with Clearwire to investigate if the maps need to be updated or if a tower is not operating as it should.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seems fishy to be charged for the 4G service when I am not able to get it without going on vacation an d then of course spending more money for that...

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.