cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we paying a $10 premium data service fee in cities that continue to not provide 4G service?

Journeyman

Why are we paying a $10 premium data service fee in cities that continue to not provide 4G service?

Why are we paying a $10 premium data service fee in cities that continue to not offer 4G service?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Why are we paying a $10 premium data service fee in cities that continue to not provide 4G service?

Exactly the reason why I havent bought the Evo yet.  This is rediculous, I wish there was something more that could be done and said to get ride of this charge.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Why are we paying a $10 premium data service fee in cities that continue to not provide 4G service?

Because that's what it costs to own an Evo.

It's not for the Data.  You could live in Wyoming and have 1xRTT speeds and still pay the $10 plan add on.

It's for the 'experience'.  The big screen. The kickstand.

But that's what it costs.

It's been well hashed out here - a few hundred pages of discussion.  But the addon is required.  And it's not going away anytime soon.

Doesn't seem like it's hurting sales any - I *still* can't get one.  Sigh.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee

wengla02 wrote:

Because that's what it costs to own an Evo.

It's not for the Data.  You could live in Wyoming and have 1xRTT speeds and still pay the $10 plan add on.

It's for the 'experience'.  The big screen. The kickstand.

So we're now back to the "You're paying the extra $10/month fee because of the hardware" excuse?  That's beyond lame and most likely illegal.  Sprint was better off claiming it was for expanding the CDMA network (or even the WiMAX network) instead of that reason.

wengla02 wrote:

It's been well hashed out here - a few hundred pages of discussion.  But the addon is required.  And it's not going away anytime soon.

And despite it being "hashed out" Sprint still has yet to answer the most basic question in a way that makes any sense, since no one at the company can stick to any logical bit of reasoning and explain it.  I won't bother re-hashing such debates here though.

wengla02 wrote:

Doesn't seem like it's hurting sales any - I *still* can't get one.  Sigh.

That's debateable.  And you assume that there is a HUGE demand for the stupid handset.  The reality is simple...there are 2 problems facing Sprint.  First, Verizon has greater pull with HTC than does Sprint, so the HTC Droid Incredible is being pushed out faster for Verizon than the Evo is for Sprint.  Second, quality control issues with the Evo 4G are making it harder for Sprint to even get the phones made regardless of what Verizon wants.

So, in my book, it's not so much of a demand issue as it is a poor relationship with getting the phone made properly issue.  My cousin's Evo this past Sunday broke...the stupid thing bricked after he got done placing a simple phone call to my Nextel i90c.  Go figure.  So much for quality eh?  Granted, his experience may be an isolated case, but he did have to pay $100 to have the stupid thing replaced...right now, he's out of a phone...since there is no replacement for it yet...and no refurbs available either.

Though I am wondering, will those who adopt the Samsung Epic 4G be forced to pay the same stupid $10/month fee since that handset lacks HDMI, has only a 5Mpxl camera (instead of the 8Mpxl that the Evo has), and has a smaller screen, no kickstand, etc.?  If the fee is still required, then the above "reason" why the fee for the Evo having the fee is bogus too.  It's simply a money grab and nothing more.  And I think there could be legal grounds that Sprint is treading on that they shouldn't be.  Just saying.

Journeyman

The Epic is more expensive and doesnt have all the benefits that the Evo does so unless the drop the price which will probably happen once it comes out and nobody buys it right away.  And for your cousins phone breaking I agree totally, what happened to just making quality products, now you have to have this insurance to cover your phone cause in most cases it will break.  I called once complaining about that and had it explained to me its the same thing as car insurance, well the day you make a phone that costs 20k then maybe it will make sense.  I understand what you are saying about the benefits of the phone and ten dollar fee but isnt that why they create the price of the phone? it has a bigger screen etc, then becuase of this the phone is X amount of dollars.  Having a MANDITORY fee for something you without a doubt will never use is still rediculous and just poor business practice.

Wizard

Because the phone has a faster processor huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megpixel for EVO 4G.For the Samsung EPIC 4G because samung 1 ghz cortex h8 hummingbird application processor supports amazing 3-D graphics.The Samsung EPIC 4G has dual cameras 5 megpixel camera/camcorder with auto focus power led flash and 3x digital zoom for hd video(720p) recording for capture and playback on an HD Television and front-facing VGA camera for video chat n more.We expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with other devices.These features will give you capabilitities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience.Remember this is the first n second 3G/4G Android phone.The premium data add-on is not a chare to access the 4G network.on the EVO or the EPIC.It is a charge to cover the added network congestion that the EVO n the EPIC is to cause on the network.The design and user experience of the EVO n the EPIC lends itself to have customers use the features of the devices in ways they may not have thought of before at faster speeds,and with more capabilities.Even on the 3G network it is estimated there is going to be much more data used,and therefore more congestion.The add-on is not specifically tied to 4G usage,its tied to the device,in this case the EVO n the EPIC is projected to cause more strain on the network regardless of the network technology being used.So the charge is there to cover the added cost that the EVO n the EPIC is estimated to cause on network infrastucture improvement maintenance/ect.Thats why there is a $10 premium data service fee.Thats for the EVO 4G n the EPIC 4G.

JAMES4356 wrote:

Because the phone has a faster processor huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megpixel for EVO 4G.For the Samsung EPIC 4G because samung 1 ghz cortex h8 hummingbird application processor supports amazing 3-D graphics.The Samsung EPIC 4G has dual cameras 5 megpixel camera/camcorder with auto focus power led flash and 3x digital zoom for hd video(720p) recording for capture and playback on an HD Television and front-facing VGA camera for video chat n more.We expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with other devices.These features will give you capabilitities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience.Remember this is the first n second 3G/4G Android phone.The premium data add-on is not a chare to access the 4G network.on the EVO or the EPIC.It is a charge to cover the added network congestion that the EVO n the EPIC is to cause on the network.The design and user experience of the EVO n the EPIC lends itself to have customers use the features of the devices in ways they may not have thought of before at faster speeds,and with more capabilities.Even on the 3G network it is estimated there is going to be much more data used,and therefore more congestion.The add-on is not specifically tied to 4G usage,its tied to the device,in this case the EVO n the EPIC is projected to cause more strain on the network regardless of the network technology being used.So the charge is there to cover the added cost that the EVO n the EPIC is estimated to cause on network infrastucture improvement maintenance/ect.Thats why there is a $10 premium data service fee.Thats for the EVO 4G n the EPIC 4G.

As I said with regards to Will's comment above...LAME and completely pointless.  If the device is expected to cause network congestion, then why is the company NOT EXPANDING THE CDMA NETWORK?!?  There is simply NO MONEY (i.e., no captial expenditures that have been allocated) being spent for expanding or improving the CDMA network (I won't even mention the iDEN side of things).  So, basically...if what you said is true, then Sprint is purposely deceiving those who purchase these phones simply because they are being negligent in the way they are operating their network, which could allow someone to actually sue Sprint for a breach of contract (e.g., failure to maintain an adequate network in order to allow the end user to use the services s/he is paying for).  Just saying.

Journeyman

From what I hear, Sprint was going out of buisness, so I think that they need to throw in an additional fee so they can stay afloat. I don't like how you can have 4G one minute and 3G the next. It doesn't make sence...

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.