cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't trust customer service representatives

Journeyman

Don't trust customer service representatives

Let me tell you a story and how sprint has ended up charging me a lot of money, admitted they messed up and offered no way to fix it.

My parents (retired) are on my plan.  Last spring, we had a 2500 minute free and clear plan for $100 for the first 2 lines and $10 for the 3rd line.  as it was an old plan, we had unlimited messaging on some of the lines (inherited back from the days before sprint supported sms) and free data that was inherited frm the days of 1xRTT.   I also had a 25% discount via my employer (IBM).

well, last spring, we started out the blue getting charged for long distance on one of the lines, (specifically my mothers).  This was a problem as my sister had a long distance land line number that she would call a lot.  Every month I'd have to call in and get it fixed.

After a few months (August), I asked, if there was any way to fix it, I said I'd even be willing to move to an everything data plan with less overall minutes (aka the ED 1500), but I wasn't willing to pay more to fix Sprint's problems.  the CSR came back after speaking w/ her supervisor and offered me the ED3000 for the same as I was paying then.  I said I don't want to be greedy, but of course I wouldn't turn down that plan.  So they gave me a $65 credit (complicated but it's 170+20 - 25% + tax - credit), put in an "order/ticket" of some sort to apply a "ban level monthly credit" of the same amount with instructions to future CSRs to apply the credit manually until the order/ticket went through.

this worked for a few months, I'd call in and get the credit applied, till they stopped.

for 2 months, they refused to even acknowledge the issue.  heck, they even tried to claim that "you're paying about the same now as before, before you were paying $110, now you're paying $150-25% or 112.5, so its about the same", without even thinking that there was a 25% reduction on the $110.

then I escalated it to dan@sprint.com

they acknowledged the notes, but said they were a little vague, and besides it seemed when I asked out right, "so you're saying, if they were clear and said "customer was overchagred continiously, solution was to move him to a more expensive rate plan but not have him pay more by giving him a monthly credit" everything would be fine and you'd do it?  they hemmed and hawed.  said a $65 credit was out of bounds.

my family is a low usage unit, we use in order of only a few hundred anytime minutes every month.  In fact, my parents are out of the country now for a few months every year as they have other daughters (or sisters in my case) living overseas, and go to spend significant time with the grandkids.

n the end they basically said, sorry, we are unwilling to help you.  it doesn't matter what problems you had, what was done to your account back in august or anything else.  the only thing we'll do for you is switch you to the ED1500 plan (so I'm overpaying less) and if you want to resign your contract, we'll give you a $10 credit for 24 months. I had no choice but to switch to the ED1500 plan, but I refused to resign my contract.  why should I resign my contract to not even get my account to where it was back in august.

Honestly, I used to evangelize Sprint all the time, I was active in the buzz adivsory panel, but I won't anymore.  Sprint screwed me and the only reason I'm not currently switching is that due to t-mobile's employee discount being less, but even with that, I think I figured out how to make it cheaper on t-mobile, as my mother doesn't use data ever, we can get away on t-mobile with an even more 1500 talk plan and pay $25 * 2 for 2 lines with data for a total of $60 + $5 + $50 for a total of $115 before any discount as opposed to $150, and even without any discount on t-mobile it only be $5 more expensive!

But in the end, everyone should realize that Sprint's word means absolutely zero.  I understand that this is somewhat of a rant, but I've been a long time sprint customer (since 2001!), and I've been treated like crap and am fairly upset about it.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Don't trust customer service representatives

While I do understand your frustration, and have had similar problems with cellular providers in the past.. there is another side to this story.

In defense of customer service reps everywhere:

this is not OUR business, nor is it our money, nor our customers.  There are a lot of cases where Sprint "employees" work for a 3rd party company that is employed by sprint (substitute any other company name here with a customer service line). These sprint "employees" are, in a lot of cases, paid slave wages and work horrible hours and horrible shifts, and to be brutally honest, are not paid OR treated well enough to care.

This is just my opinion. However, it could just be why so many people are receiving such horrible customer service from companies like Sprint.

Journeyman

Customer reps should give you an employee number when you talk to them so they can be held accountable for ******* people.

Journeyman

I understand and hence why in the past when I've had issues with customer service it didn't really bother me.

in this case, its clear that

a) I was having issues paying long distance

b) I was switched to a much more expensive plan ED3000 when I needed nowhere near that many minutes and in fact already had data on my lines

it's also clear that sprint employees (i.e. executive service / dan@sprint) weren't willing to do anything to solve this problem.  I'm fairly positive that the people who switched my plan in august were Sprint employees (it was an american call center that dealt primarily with billing problems and was during normal US working hours)

in this case, this is an issue that is costing me real money (now $40 a month or so more after already paying $65 * 2 for the 2 months I was still on the ED3000 plan).

at the end of the day, sprint employees wouldn't or couldn't do anything to help me (letting me switch to an ED1500 plan available to anyone isn't helping me.  offering me a $10/24 month credit available to anyone isn't helping me).

Journeyman

In reponse to the post about and emplyee number they do give thei "agent ID" thats the employee number if they dont give it to you at the begining of the call you can ask for it . it is also usually in the emails they send if they make and plan changes... etc.

Journeyman

as an addition, Sprint also refuses to share w/ me the notes on my account that deal with the plan change, so I can't even argue with them about the notes being "vague" by saying "they are for Sprint internal use only".  I could probably sue and subpeona them, but it seems like overkill.

Journeyman

not all people at the call centers you contact are sprint reps. sprint hires third party groups to do thier call centers. the people at the call centers have been told not to give out thier id numbers. this is something new i just learned recently after i talked to a friend of mine who works for one of these third party call centers.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.