Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried to use ebay to sell my old phone :(

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried to use ebay to sell my old phone :(

I will lead this with ... I am paranoid.

So, I tried to sell my 1 year old Sprint Diamond on Ebay. I've sold stuff on Ebay before with no problem. Seven day auction and no bids or anything until the last day and then a lot of stupid questions (i.e. - can you ship to my buddies address, can you ship overseas ... etc.)

The guy who wins made his profile that day! Zero feedback of course. Bid is a bit over $140. He sends me an email asking if I can send the ESN so he can check it. The auction is CLOSED! This isn't something he could have asked before the auction was over?

I sent the ESN. Then I hear nothing from him again. I sent 3 emails asking for payment ... or just contact. Nothing. I filed a non-paying bidder complaint. Still haven't heard from him.

The question ... could he be using that ESN now that would cause problems with this phone later if I sold it to someone else or just wanted to use it myself for a back up phone? Should I be worried? grrrrr
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

I ended up selling the phone locally. I explained the whole E-Bay issue and told the girl if she had any problems to contact me and I would either get it fixed or give her the money back if the phone was still in the same condition. That was a month ago and I've heard nothing back from her. I am taking it for granted everything is fine ... and I have definately learned a lesson!

thanks for the help and advice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dude, get over it... Thats the way Ebay works sometimes. People wait until the last day to bid to keep the bids down, that sounds smart to me if I were bidding on something from eBay. They cant do anything with the ESN number not unless they have the phone and a sprint tech switches the number any way. The guy just wanted to know if he was getting a stolen phone or not probably, its not his fault that he might be a newbie on eBay and won your auction. Quit crying and repost it, if you asked for the fees back you will get them if the guy doesn't pay for the phone. Geesh why come here and cry about what you did on eBay, cry there....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't whining. Truthfully this is old and it's sad you take the time to complain that you feel I'm whining. There are things scammers can do with the ESN. Just becasue you don't know about them doesn't mean the don't exist. I just wanted to know if there could be future problems if I sold the phone to someone else. And the dude wasn't new to Ebay ... he made a new ID that day and had 2 alternates. He was a scammer.

You should climb back in your hole.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NEVER give out an ESN until after the phone is paid for.

not only can your ESN be used to clear some elses bad one, on an account they leave unpaid, they can also be cloned or used to otherwise mess a seller - even where they give someone else your ESN to check on a phone they're selling with a bad ESN.

It's just a bad bad world out there!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.