cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen phone scenario

Highlighted
Journeyman

Stolen phone scenario

A good friend of mine got his truck broken into this weekend. Among other items, his Sprint phone was stolen. (Blackberry Curve). He had insurance on it, but the deductible is $100. Of course, this is much better than having to pay full price for just about any new phone from Sprint. Anyway, he called me from his girlfriend's phone soon after it happened and wanted to know if there was some way he could track where his phone was. After all, he has GPS on it and uses it all the time to find locations throughout the city. One of his favorite features. I wasn't sure, so I called Customer Care on his behalf to ask. The rep told me there was no way to locate his device. I didn't press the issue, but later, after I had time to think about it a while, it seemed to me like there had to be a way. I hear all the time about people lost in the wilderness and triangulation and the like to help locate them. And if the phone was on, I would expect we could ping it and at least be able to determine what city it may be in. I'm sure there's a cost to all this, but if Sprint could find a way to do this for its customers, it could be another distinguishing characteristic to put us above the competition. Thoughts, suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: Stolen phone scenario

GPS phone tracking for lost/stolen phones is something that Asurion(Sprint Insurance) is working on. We should see something in the near future.

Journeyman

The other idea that was suggested to me was to have 'Sprint Family Locator' installed on the device. This is assuming the thief has not wiped the phone already and it's on. This way, the device could be located via GPS. Best case scenario is that you already have Sprint Family Locator on your device, and when it's stolen, locate it. It should be pretty accurate. What you do at that point is up to you...

Master

I use Google Latitude to share my GPS location with friends. You can also use it to find your phone when it is lost. But this does requireh aving it setup on the device already.

Family Locator is an option, but it requires having a "parent" and a "child" phone.

There are quite a few options for Android and iOS devices to find lost phones, I can't imagine there not being any for Blackberry, but again that means it needs to be installed on it already.

As for lost in the wilderness situations that requires law enforcement and carrier interaction to help find someone who can potentially die in the wilderness. They aren't going to do that for a simple lost phone, life and death situations are a different story.

Journeyman

I have the EVO and I'm running "Lookout" it acts as an Anti-virus, Data backup, and Missing device locator. I'm pretty sure it works on the Blackberry too. As to Sprint not being able to locate your friends phone, I believe that the liability to Sprint and to thousands of crime victims with restraining orders on file would be preventing the access more than the technology. However a crime was committed and if a police report was filed then a Detective was assigned and it may be possible, if the phone has not been disabled, to get it tracked. You can also see that giving out the location of a phone on the word of a caller claiming a stolen vehicle would open up Sprint to lawsuits. What if they gave your friend the location and he found his vehicle, spare keys in hand he decides to retrieve it, and gets shot and or killed. His family could argue that had Sprint not provided the location, their son, brother, father would still be alive. Just because the technology is available and very advanced doesn't mean the user is up to the related tasks.

PS. I also considered the possibility that the owner of the beloved truck has a gun and a hot temper. In that event the family of the thug that got caught with the stolen property could be the ones filing a wrongful death suit. That would a sad thing indeed.

Message was edited by: HFLJR

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.