cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Sprint rewritting accounts contracts

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is Sprint rewritting accounts contracts

Sprint is imposing a  4.99 fee if not enrolled in automatic payments  and be turn rewriting the contracts of thousands of customers who have a Account spending Limit   they have already got a deposit and now going to charge a fee on top. 

???  How would i know that i can trust the information would not get stolen and miss used

???   How will charges backs be paid  or will just be credited to my account

???   Why are you charging for something when you don't even have the right to do even in the contracts or agreement

and in a turn rewriting the amendment into them

????     Why are you being this greedy as a company  you have thousands of dollars of depositors money in accounts drawing int.  why make a fee when your

profits and gains

DOES   CUSTOMER SERVICE MEAN NOTHING ANYMORE

THIS IS A MAKING OF A COMPANY  ACTING AS A MONOPOLY WERE THE CONSUMER DOES NOT HAVE A CHOICE IN THE MATTER......

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint does give you the option of cancelling your contract with no ETF this month, so you are not forced into a modified contract change. It is still crappy that you can have the fee waived by signing up for auto pay...it should be across the board no matter how you pay if you have an ASL.  I guess you can try getting a prepaid card and keep your normal bill amount and maybe $20 extra on the card so if there is a higher amount being hit due to a billing error, it will not bounce other checks you may have out.  That way, you are still on autopay but just remember to load that card ahead of time, lol.  I refuse auto pay and will not do it for any company.  However, the more I posted about the prepaid card...sounds like good idea actually, unless they do not allow prepaid cards then that idea is now a waste of bandwidth, lol.

Believe me, I was irate (at the least) over this and candidly posted my thoughts on it.  However, after speaking with some CS reps (on here and on the phone), my stance is at least neutral now and will live with it.  I still do not accept the fact of it but oh well.

ASL and how it works (from info I was given from here and phone reps):

Someone with not the greatest credit score (like myself) wants mobile service.  They go to Sprint, Verizon, TMo and ATT to see the services and phones offered and have them run credit checks to see about deposits and whatnot.  Verizon and ATT, you will have a ridiculous deposit for starting service per line of service.  Sprint and TMo have the ASL which actually gives you a lower deposit and puts a restriction on how much your monthly bill can be.  TMo actually charges $5/mo PER LINE for this.  Sprint will charge $5 per account, so if you have 2-5 lines...its is only $5/mo more.  If you have 3 lines at TMo, you would be charged $15/mo more.  So unless you happen to have enough money for a deposit at Verizon and ATT, Sprint is the lesser of all evils, so to speak.  I did wonder why Sprint's deposit for me was only $50 per line vs Alltel (at the time) who wanted $500 per line.  I was told about the ASL but not about a fee as it was not imposed at the time of starting services.

Think of it as...

Someone with not the greatest credit score wants a credit card.  They try all the big players like Discover, Visa and Mastercard and get denied.  However, they get something in the mail about "Bad/No credit...No problem".  If you look at the fine print...you can still get the card but your interest rate will be higher, probably have a monthly maintenance fee, an annual fee and a low credit limit.  You will have the card but you will be needing to "pay for it" with more fees.  Over time, with good payment history, you will find that some fees will be reduced or removed and with a higher credit limit.  Same things applies to Sprint.  After x amount (sorry, not sure of the exact amount) of consecutive months of good payment, you may be able to have the ASL removed and no longer subject to the fees.

Looking back and wondering why Sprint had such a low deposit per line for me...it does make sense now.  However, I feel the fee should have been there the whole time and not just popping up a couple years later.  Again, I am over this and will deal with it as changing providers over this is not worth the money I will dump out for deposits and new phones on a new carrier.  Even though I will spend more money a month, I am still saving money in the long run vs deposits, phones and actual cost of service.

Highlighted
Master

johnkirchner wrote:

Sprint does give you the option of cancelling your contract with no ETF this month, so you are not forced into a modified contract change. It is still crappy that you can have the fee waived by signing up for auto pay...it should be across the board no matter how you pay if you have an ASL.  I guess you can try getting a prepaid card and keep your normal bill amount and maybe $20 extra on the card so if there is a higher amount being hit due to a billing error, it will not bounce other checks you may have out.  That way, you are still on autopay but just remember to load that card ahead of time, lol.  I refuse auto pay and will not do it for any company.  However, the more I posted about the prepaid card...sounds like good idea actually, unless they do not allow prepaid cards then that idea is now a waste of bandwidth, lol.

Believe me, I was irate (at the least) over this and candidly posted my thoughts on it.  However, after speaking with some CS reps (on here and on the phone), my stance is at least neutral now and will live with it.  I still do not accept the fact of it but oh well.

ASL and how it works (from info I was given from here and phone reps):

Someone with not the greatest credit score (like myself) wants mobile service.  They go to Sprint, Verizon, TMo and ATT to see the services and phones offered and have them run credit checks to see about deposits and whatnot.  Verizon and ATT, you will have a ridiculous deposit for starting service per line of service.  Sprint and TMo have the ASL which actually gives you a lower deposit and puts a restriction on how much your monthly bill can be.  TMo actually charges $5/mo PER LINE for this.  Sprint will charge $5 per account, so if you have 2-5 lines...its is only $5/mo more.  If you have 3 lines at TMo, you would be charged $15/mo more.  So unless you happen to have enough money for a deposit at Verizon and ATT, Sprint is the lesser of all evils, so to speak.  I did wonder why Sprint's deposit for me was only $50 per line vs Alltel (at the time) who wanted $500 per line.  I was told about the ASL but not about a fee as it was not imposed at the time of starting services.

Think of it as...

Someone with not the greatest credit score wants a credit card.  They try all the big players like Discover, Visa and Mastercard and get denied.  However, they get something in the mail about "Bad/No credit...No problem".  If you look at the fine print...you can still get the card but your interest rate will be higher, probably have a monthly maintenance fee, an annual fee and a low credit limit.  You will have the card but you will be needing to "pay for it" with more fees.  Over time, with good payment history, you will find that some fees will be reduced or removed and with a higher credit limit.  Same things applies to Sprint.  After x amount (sorry, not sure of the exact amount) of consecutive months of good payment, you may be able to have the ASL removed and no longer subject to the fees.

Looking back and wondering why Sprint had such a low deposit per line for me...it does make sense now.  However, I feel the fee should have been there the whole time and not just popping up a couple years later.  Again, I am over this and will deal with it as changing providers over this is not worth the money I will dump out for deposits and new phones on a new carrier.  Even though I will spend more money a month, I am still saving money in the long run vs deposits, phones and actual cost of service.

Thank you for the very well thought out post. I think this isexactly what a lot of us reps have been trying to get across, but couldn't figure out a really good way to explain it.

With your permission, I'd like to copy your post in response when others ask about the ASL fee?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow...bravo on you post!

Bottom line is to pay your bill every month on time and in time, they, ( Sprint ) will increase your ASL, then eventually remove it.

Agreed, the fee should have been there from the very start, since this is how it ended up playing out for those with ASL's.

I was upset that they Removed this from my account once upon a time, but if they're going to bank from it....I don't think so.

You can call about having it removed from your account in time...never hurts to call and check.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not a problem, feel free to copy it.  I still see more and more posts on the subject and thought I would just start typing something that made sense to me.  Analogies are great!

Highlighted
Wizard

Fantastic post John KUDOS!

dd

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks halcy, goy and denny!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I came across this post and just had to add my two cents in this.

just to add, that it is 18 months you have to pay your bill on time, in order to not have an asl account.

second i would like to add is, i saw this post and you said if i go to verison with a low credit score, we would have to put a big deposted down.

so i called verizon to see if this is true, why now they told me, that is true in some cases we go by your score,

ok so i no i dont have a high score but was curious, so i ask if i could get a account. so i pick the phone i like and i pick the plan that fits my likeing. guess what,  i was approved with no money down . i was shock because i no my score is a 599 on one and a 560 on the other not sure what the others are however, verison also waved the 30.00 fee and told me i will have my phone the next day no charge all i had to pay was 100.00 for the phone.

now my frist bill will show  100.00 pluse the fees a month so the tot will be 116.00 a month. wow thats with 900 min anywere anytime, unlimited data,

text, pluse i have a top 5. im like wow that isnt bad for verison.

well now that i also confermed with sprint that it is true if i opt out now, i wont be charge etf .

im so happy!!!! so now im off to verison.

I wish all those with sprint all the luck. maybe sprint will change there ways, And all the 2.52 million pluse that left might come back.

its a shame because i like nextel, love there direct connect, and there customer services. ok so there talk service is not so hot, but the bottom line its a shame that sprint is doing what there doing to the iden users this is why im leaveing.

on that note im out of here, sorry for the long post. i wish you all the luck with sprint.

bd123196

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another options for those concerned about the fee...open an account with an online bank or brokerage firm--many of them now offer cash management accounts that are pretty much fee-free, so if you have insufficient funds for a payment available, they reject the payment but you don't get hit with a fee.  Now, of course you want to be able to pay your bill, right? Open a corresponding brokerage account or savings account and start stocking it up with some extra cash--you can link them, so if the bill ever comes due and you don't have enough money in your main account, you have that reserve to tide you over.

The only catch is that online banks and brokerage firms require electronic depositing, there's no physical way to deposit money. You can use ACH transfers from a checking account (set it up from the online account's side to avoid any fees from your checking account) and direct deposit from your paycheck or SS check.

As for that reserve fund, even $5 to $10 from each paycheck will start you on your way.  Just about anyone on any income can afford $5 a week in a reserve fund. And yes, I know what I'm talking about there, I've been in pretty dire financial shape before, which lead to my pathetic credit score and the need for a spending limit. And I know real life emergencies happen that make automatic payments scary--one day you have just enough to cover the payment, the next day the dog is at the vet getting stitches and you're $400 poorer. It happens.

The issue here for all those Sprint employees reading is not the fee itself--if that had been a term all along and disclosed up front before opening an account I don't think most of us would be all that upset, but introducing it to existing accounts with little to no warning is not fair, no matter how you look at it. Besides, if I paid a deposit up front, as hefty as that might have been, at least I'd have gotten it back. This fee is, to me, equivalent to tossing cash down a hole each month.  Pretty soon I'm going to start thinking that all of my money being paid to Sprint is money going down a hole and hello Verizon, goodbye Sprint.  And that's $145 a month that Sprint no longer has coming in. All that over a measly $5.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.