Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can no longer upgrade? What?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I can no longer upgrade? What?

I've been riding the upgrade train for a very long time now with Sprint. Through Sprint, I have had every iPhone, every year on launch. This started with the 4S and it went from there to the 5, the 5S, the 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus- which was traded in- for and iPhone X, then the XS I am on now. I've never had an issue upgrading each year. Until this year.

Now I am being told I have to buy my phone out, plus my contract, then pay full price for a new phone. This is just weird and it is extremely disappointing. Big time. I really mean it, too. I got ready to do the same thing I have done every year and now it's just being made impossible. Does Sprint not see how incredibly ridiculous it is to make someone buy out their contract in order to let them upgrade their device? I am not going to do that. Ever. I was speaking with one rep earlier on the My Sprint app and I was told that there was a technical issue and the eligibility needed to be reset, to call the tele sales team, and I did. And I then proceeded to waste 39 minutes and 46 seconds of my life honestly just getting more confused and pretty angry. 

Sprint- please don't make your customers go through this. Especially the loyal customers that just throw money at you year after year. I live within my means, but I've always had a great time upgrading my phone each year, even though it was a bit on the more expensive side, and I set money aside to do the same this year. But there is simply no way I'm paying off my contract, the remainder or my lease (which is longer than it should be for some reason), then just buying a phone at 100% cost. You have to see how ridiculous that is. And I do hope you see how dirty that is to do to your customers. If I am not allowed to upgrade this year, I'll just let my contract expire, return my phones upon completion, then buy my next phone directly from Apple and go somewhere else. All these changes year after year are getting to be a bit much to keep up with and I think it's kind of unfair to your customers.

Thanks.

-one sad Arty

**IMPORTANT EDIT, PLEASE READ**

One thing I want to make crystal clear right now is that I am not out to cause problems or yell or stoke anger or flames or anything of the sort. I am honestly sitting here, as I write this, just feeling pretty let down and pretty bummed out that this thing I've loved for so long has been unceremoniously cut short, and without warning. I just want Sprint to know what I am saying and hopefully see my point of view, as I am positive that many others out there are no doubt feeling the same. I am genuinely sad. Not so much angry. Just sad. So please keep that in mind, anyone at Sprint reading this. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: I can no longer upgrade? What?

I understand your frustration. It sounds like you've been exercising iPhone Forever each year. The current lease should have the option of iPhone Forever also. With iPhone Forever, you wouldn't be getting the trade-in promotion that we have running. I'm hoping the people you've spoken with so far were just confused with the wording between you. For a trade-in promotion, you would have to own your phone. But you should be able to turn in the current phone with iPhone Forever. On your app, are you seeing your 12 month upgrade date for the current month?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

The only thing I am seeing is a pay in full price. I was expecting to send my current phone back like always and get a new one, but I was told that that is no longer an option. I'd have to buy everything out, then buy a new phone at full price.

I'd be happy to review the account for upgrade eligibility. I'm going to send you a private message to get your account information. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

You got it figured out and I'm pretty impressed with how you found the possible problem. Thanks again!!!

Wizard

You're very welcome ArtyS. Have a wonderful day. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

You know, I am going through something similar or exactly like this. Only, they’re not telling me I need to buy out my contract and iPhone! Sprint wants to charge me for the first month and upgrade fee upfront. I am on the iPhone forever plan and have been for 5 out of the 6 years I’ve been with Sprint. I have started with the iPhone 5s, then the next year I upgraded to the 6s max didn’t pay any down payment. Year after that the 7s which I had no down payment still, I then upgraded to my current iPhone XS Max and didn’t pay a down payment! When I tried to upgrade to the 11 Pro Max through the whole process it says $45 and some change/month can’t remember right now. $0.00 today, until I get to the checkout where it says $107 today and and above it it says estimated calculated first months bill which is $75 and the upgrade fee is in it too to get to $107! They are supposed to charge your next months bill that $30. Sprint is trying to charge me upfront like I’m a new customer or they never gotten paid from me. That doesn’t include me returning the iPhone XS Max. They have been paid every month this year. What kills me is, they’ve been trying to give me a free iPad all the time but won’t waive this $107. Don’t even try to call customer service, the guy tells me oh, I can waive the $107 you just gotta pay for shipping, I said shipping is supposed to be free online,! He says oh yeah I can waive the shipping fee, then he asked me what credit card you have, what is the number? I not giving you no credit card number and I asked why for the down payment, we just went through all of that, I am not paying a down payment. He says no you’re not paying anything, what? Why you need my credit card. He said for the phone, like I was irritating him! I said Sprint is treating me like they never called me a loyal customer, like they’ve had problems in the past. Never had a problem with me! Yeah I don’t get this where they’re all of a sudden being disloyal. I will finish my contract and go with no problem because I am giving them my money. Sorry for the long reply.

Wizard

Howdy Danja75. We spoke over in post "Overcharging monthly and charging to upgrade!" and we discussed the down payment. This is part of purchasing the phone.  

For the down payment of $107 for upgrade. This is a standard charge that is determined by phone type, memory, and credit score. For example here are the down payment starting points for the iPhone 11. 

-- 64 GB--> $0

-- 128 GB--> $50

-- 256 GB--> $150

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I am having an almost identical issue, I am only getting full price options no monthly prices.

Wizard

I hear ya SCOOB501. I was seeing the same thing when I was on sprint.com a few days ago. I cleared the cache and history and now I can see all info on the web page. Just a couple questions: 

- What browser are you using? 

- Are you using a phone, tablet, or computer to look at pricing?

- Are you logged into your MySprint account? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

I am using chrome and have accessed from my phone and laptop. I was logged in to my account and even get a message saying im not eligible to upgrade if I look on Best buys elgibilty tracker.
Wizard

Ok. I'd like to take a look into this for you. I sent you a PM so I can gather a smidge of info. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat