cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLUTION: Sprint Hints for Successful Unlocks

If you have a Sprint phone and are seeking a Domestic SIM Unlock or an International Unlock, please check out our resources here.

First, make sure that the phone you have qualifies and meets all the requirements.  You can read about those and FAQs here:

Sprint Unlock Policy

FAQs about Unlocking

Before Sprint can unlock a phone it must meet all of these conditions:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
  • The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
  • Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number.

My phone is still active but paid off.  How do I get it unlocked?

If your device is still active on your account and you've met all of the conditions above, it should receive a lock code automatically shortly after the completion of your agreement or purchase.  It's important that your phone is powered on to receive the unlock signal. If you believe your phone should have been unlocked and it is not please jump to the end of this article and click the link to contact an agent for assistance.

I upgraded to a new phone and I want to give away my old one.  How do I get it unlocked?

If the phone isn't active on your account anymore but you own it, it may already be unlocked.  A Care agent can check for you. If the phone is not unlocked, the agent can submit a ticket to have it unlocked for you.  Unfortunately, these requests are not processed in real time. While waiting for your ticket to be worked please ensure:

• The phone is powered on at all times.  As this may take a few days, you may want to plug the phone into the wall until the unlock is complete
  • The Sprint SIM is inside the device. If you have an Apple, Sprint may still be able to process an unlock request without the Sprint SIM attached. Unfortunately, without a Sprint SIM, we cannot unlock an Android device
  • The device is attached to WiFi service. Unlocking is a signal like an update. Your phone must have access to the internet to receive that signal.

If your phone meets all of these requirements and you've followed the instructions posted above, go to the end of the article and click the link to request assistance from an agent.

I purchased a phone from a reseller but it's locked to Sprint.  Can you unlock it?

If you need to have a phone unlocked but it is no longer attached to an account, it must meet all the requirements above. In addition, you will need the full name of the account holder or their account number.  If you have this information, please see the instructions for inactive phones above and then click the link at the end of this article for assistance.

I bought this phone from someone on Craig's List(or eBay or another seller) but it's attached to a delinquent account and he didn't give me the account holder's information.  Can Sprint help me get the phone unlocked or activate it?

Sprint cannot activate or unlock a phone that is attached to an account with a delinquent balance or is in write-off status. If you have purchased such a device, you will need to contact that party for assistance or a refund. We strongly recommend that customers who are interested in Pre-Owned phones purchase through a reputable sales channel or reseller.  Customers should never purchase a phone from a person that they do not know or an unverified third party. 

While waiting for your ticket to be worked please ensure:

• The phone is powered on at all times.  As this may take a few days, you may want to plug the phone into the wall until the unlock is complete
  • The Sprint SIM is inside the device. If you have an Apple, Sprint may still be able to process an unlock request without the Sprint SIM attached. Unfortunately, without a Sprint SIM, we cannot unlock an Android device
  • The device is attached to WiFi service. Unlocking is a signal like an update. Your phone must have access to the internet to receive that signal.

Sprint says my phone is unlocked.  Now what?

• Open the dial pad of the phone and enter # # 72786 # # (there should be no space between the characters)
    • Select "Yes" when prompted to reset the system setting to factory Default
    • Your phone will restart at least once.  
    • For Most Android: After the phone has restarted go to Settings > System Updates and click the followings:
      • Update PRL
      • Update Profile
      • UICC Unlock
  • For The Essential: After the phone is finished restarting, go to Settings > Cellular Networks >Preferred Network type "Select CDMA + LTE/EvDO" (when activating on a new carrier, you may need to change this to GSM if the other carrier uses that technology rather than CDMA/LTE)
  • Next, go to Settings > About Phone >OMADM and click the following:
    • Update PRL
    • Update Profile
    • UICC Unlock

I have done all of the steps above but my phone is still locked to Sprint.  Now what?

Please click here to create a post and request help from an agent

Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎05-11-2018 02:48 PM
Updated by:

Contributors
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat