cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10/Month premium data add on for switching phones

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in the middle of my 2 year everything plan with unlimited data. I recently switched smartphones and they tried to add a $10 premium data add on charge per month. I asked "why" and the reply was that as of Janurary you will be charged for premium data for switching smartphones, even if it has the same capabilities of your current phone.   I know this has been a problem for many sprint customers.  I then stated that under the original terms of my contract, I am able to switch smartphones at no extra charge and that they should be legally bound to honor my contract.  By questioning the legality of what they were doing, their tone quickly changed.  They gladly switched my smartphone with no extra charge.  I suggest you do the same if this happens to you.  I believe it is only a matter of time before there is a lawsuit.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Where does it say that in the contract? I just found out about this add-on, and it's ridiculous. When I switched phones in-store, they told me nothing would change with my bill.. little did I know.

Master

The actual policy on phones that were activated before January is that the particular phone as it is becomes grandfathered without the fee, but any kind of phone swap other than a service and repair exchange or insurance swap to the same phone would require that $10 add-on as well. So if you had an HTC Hero active in January and then bought a Blackberry 8530 from ebay to activate, the $10 add-on would be required since it isn't being swapped under the warranty or insurance. Even with the warranty and insurance, some devices still require the add-on anyway (4G devices since they always required the fee, even when the older smartphones did not). The only exception to this rule entirely is the Samsung Replenish, the charge is waived since it is an eco-friendly device. The idea is you are rewarded witha lower bill for being more environmentally-concious about your phone purchase.

Journeyman

Non-4G smartphones that were released prior to October 14th (eg Plam Pre, Optimus S) are not subject to the $10 premium premium add-on.

Master

Yes they are, Smartphones "ACTIVATED" before Jan 30/11 are grandfathered without the charge, Any activated after that do have the fee added.

gizmo_lives wrote:

Non-4G smartphones that were released prior to October 14th (eg Plam Pre, Optimus S) are not subject to the $10 premium premium add-on.

Master

Levi you are correct  I have seen this above statement twice in the last few days  with this same incorrect information.

All android phones are subject to this charge with the exception of the replenish.  I am not sure where they are quoting the 14 Oct date   as it has no  year comes from .  It applies to the hero and the moment and they predate the evo. and the charge. 

Journeyman

Re: $10/Month premium data add on for switching phones

I believe the confusion is that gizmo is referring to the SERO plan.  I 've been reading of a premium data fee of $10.00/mo. added for any new (post 10/4) Sprint smartphone 3g activated on a SERO plan.

Message was edited by: swimmer01

Message was edited by: swimmer01

Journeyman

Seriously!! OMG the data is so painfully slow..I'm switching from a Samsung Moment to another Samsung moment. They want me to pay another $10 for data that slower as a 56k? Also I saw under terms and conditions Sprint has the right to slow down, hault the throughput (not the exact wording) for data over 5GB per month?? Not that my phone would download that much since it's so slow but what happened to unlimited Data?? And is that per phone, or per plan?

Journeyman

Re: $10/Month premium data add on for switching phones

Swimmer, you are right. I was referring to SERO. Not sure what the difference is with other plans.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.