cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for

28 REPLIES
Journeyman

I agree, Sprint is following the lead of many municipalities. When you can't legally charge (or tax) the public more, you create new "surcharges" and "fees". Ethics have gone totally downhill lately and will come back to bite them in the end (get it?bite them in the end? yuk yuk I kill me!)

Journeyman

Since your an actual CS rep for Sprint you have to hold the line, but to me as a cusotmer I find it terrible that when I already have a smart phone and then change phones I am charged this $10 fee. It unbelieveable that a company would change its charges in mid stream. I went with the family plan and this charge was not there previously. I already have a smart phone and will not use more usage power, so this is a way for Sprint to up my bill. This is not right and will leave unless its reversed

Journeyman

@ClaudiPo

I take issue with this statement only because of the timeline of events that occurred last year:

1) Sprint announces 4g technology

2) Dan Hesse unveils the technology at a conference and states "we will not charge extra for 4g".

3) The EVO is revealed

4) Romours of a big panic from investors and network engineers as to what Dan Hesse promised.

5) A new fee was established only for the 4g phones, called  the Premium data fee.

6) Customers get different descriptions of the fee from each Sprint rep.

Now Sprint's answer to all the complaints about the fee is to simply charge everyone with a 3g or 4g phone n matter what.

For those who'd like more detailed chronological information you can go to www dot explainthefee dot com. (I'm trying not to create a hyperlink, so you can  figure it out).

BTW, I went from a Blackberry Cure 9330, to the EVO last yer, and my data usage went from 300mb per month to 500mb per month, hardly worthy of a $10 fee, especially since I already pay $150 per month.

Journeyman

Quarterly figures ending June 30, 2011 show Sprint Nextel Co. Grossing 3.7 million in profit.  Over 15 million in gross profit in 2010.

But you are right about one thing, its about making money.

Journeyman

Simply put, a company has to make money in order to spend money.

Journeyman

Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for

Every single carrier had their world rocked when iPhone and Android hit the market. I've read that  the aggregate data usage has been growing by an order of magnitude every 18 months since the iPhone debuted. That means that by the end of this year 1000 times as much data is being used by American phones at any given time than was used in mid 2007 when the iPhone launched.

And you can see every carrier has responded in SOME way: By creating separate Data plans, adding more tiers, silently throttling or limiting data acces, or charging a surcharge.

Lets get real: My girlfriend has a dumbphone. A Lotus. She can see her gmail and use sprint navigation and send picture mail. So sure she enjoys our data plan. I have an Evo. My data usage? Forget the emails, documents, surfing, and navigation. Just look at my music: I have a Mercedes that lets me listen to Pandora on my Evo and stream it via bluetooth to the car audio system. I'm using THOUSANDS of times more data than my girlfriend. The idea that I have to pay for the premium data fee on my phone seems completely fair. I'm That's 33 cents a day..

And i'd MUCH rather sprint charge me $10 than silently throttle my usage where, once I get above a certain cap for a day or month they make my connection so slow I can't hardly use it.

Also, it was NEVER marketed on their website or in your contract as a "4G Fee." It's always been called "Premium Data." If some $8/hr 18 year old in a Sprint store told you otherwise then just accept that young people working for little pay are not usually people you would take too seriously

Journeyman

Agreed, no more contracts.  The pre-paid carriers are getting better phones.  Not to mention with jail-breaking now-a-days, you can have a pretty decent phone on a cheaper carrier with no contract.  I say all Sprint customers use massive amounts of data at the same time.  But, they'd probably charge another fee.

Journeyman

The Blackberry curve I lost certainly wasnt worth an additional $10 per month to replace with another Blackberry Curve. My other Curve (family plan) needs to be replaced because some keys dont work.  That will cost me another $10.00 per month ton replace with a used Curve.  I am NOT renewing with Sprint when my contract (Didnt protect me from arbitrary price hikes mid-contract) expires.  Dont lose or break your phones girls and boys.  Activation of a replacement will cost you and extra $10.00 per phone per month.

Journeyman

Hmm, see the thing is that when I chose Sprint, I picked an UNLIMITED DATA PLAN.  There was no additional fee since the unlimited rate plans include unlimited data.  When Sprint first started charging this fee, they did so only on 4g.  And they were claiming that it was a charge for the inevitable amount of massive data that every 4g customer would use, even though most still have no access to 4g.  Still no 4g access in the biggest city in Central California.  So basically Sprint raised their rates without using those words, maybe thinking customers would be fooled.  They just call it a fee.  The thing is if you are lucky enough to get an employee discount through your job, it doesn't apply to those sneaky fees.  I know other carriers charge more, but I don't like sneaky tactics from any carrier.  The thing that gets me is that you guys are tacking on extra fees just because you are cheaper than other carriers. 

Journeyman

Hold on.  It just keeps getting better.  I lost my Blackberry and bought a used Blackberry (same model) to replace it.  I am 18 months into my contract and they are going to charge me the extra $10.00 when (and if) I activate the replacement phone.  Now the $170.00 I pay is $180.00.  One of my other phones is flakey and will need to be replaced soon.  Now my service will cost $190.00  God Forbid anything happens to my other line.  No more Sprint for me.  Its time to look at the No Contract carriers  Eveyone, except Boost or other Sprint affilliate.