cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add line to existing family plan - have phone already

Journeyman

Can I add a line to my family plan, bringing my own phone and thus avoiding the new line having a 2 year contract?

8 REPLIES
Master

You can add a line  using your own phone  no problem.   You will still incur an initial 2 year contract

Journeyman

What's Sprint rationale here? They are not subsidizing the cost of the phone so why are they imposing a 2 year contract other than because they can?

Wizard

JHBORICUA,

Thank you for your response. After during further research, it is noted that the 2 yr contract would be imposed because of price plan terms in your case and not equipment terms. The only plan that you could add that does not incorporate a two year agreement is a month to month plan.

Markie_B

Journeyman

Markie,

What exactly does 'because of price plan terms' mean? Can you elaborate? I'ts not going into a new plan, its going into an existing one. My pricing won't change except for the $20 additional line fee already stipulated in my family plan. Other that this, my family plan pricing and minutes allowance remains the same. It seems like a very heavy-handed practice to impose a 2yr. contract. And how does the ETF will play on this? Since Sprint is not subsidizing the device, will the new line be subject to a $350 ETF? if so, how come? That has always been associate with recouping the cost of the device subsidy. From your own Early Termination Fee page:

"If you've entered into a one- or two-year contract and choose to terminate or cancel your service before your contract ends, you will be charged an early termination fee of up to up to $350/line for Advanced Devices & up to $200/line for all other devices."

There's a clear relationship between the ETF and the devices. So how does Sprint justify imposing a ETF on a device when it didn't cost them anything since the customer already had paid it in full?

Journeyman

Re: Add line to existing family plan - have phone already

I would like to see Markie_B/sprint's reply to JHBORICUA's statement above, as I had the same question.  Seems like the proverbial cat has their tongue on this one.

the contract is for activating a new line.

Master

This is the only plan you could activate your own phone on and not be tied to a contract agreement. You cannot activate a smartphone on it, Only a feature phone.

Plan specifics:

• Anytime Minutes: 200
  • Monthly Rate with Nights starting at 9PM: $39.99
  • Overage: $0.45 per minute
  • Mobile to Mobile Minutes: Available for $5 a month
  • No service agreement required
  • Customer is not eligible for a phone rebate. Customer must pay full-suggested-retail price
  • Activation fees apply

Services included:

• Long Distance (must be on the Sprint network to be included in plan)
  • Call Waiting
  • Voice Mail
  • Caller ID
  • 3-Way Calling
  • Numeric Paging
  • Call Forwarding (busy/ring no answer)
  • Unconditional Call Forwarding (immediate) at $0.20/minute
  • Unlimited Nights and Weekends calling starts at 9PM

Available add-ons (cost per month):

• $5 Mobile-to-Mobile
  • $5 America Roaming
  • $5 7PM Nights and Weekends
  • $10 6PM Nights and Weekends
  • $5 Nextel Direct Connect: Unlimited

Services not included:

• Mobile-to-Mobile and Roaming are not included in this plan
  • 50 add-on (Overage Protection) minutes are not available on the Month-to-Month Plan
  • Casual use of Nextel Direct is not available - must  have add-on to provision service
  • No MRC discounts available

cst?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.