cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any "new" phone available for old, grandfathered "unlimited" plan?

Highlighted
Patron

Any "new" phone available for old, grandfathered "unlimited" plan?

I have an old, grandfathered plan called the Free and Clear Unlimited, which is described as a Partner Employee Plan.  It offers unlimited anytime minutes, texting and a "sprint data pack" for a very low, favorable price for two lines.  I got it from retentions back in late 2007, when I upgraded to a Centro and got my wife a Katana II.  I am looking to upgrade to one of the newer smartphones, as I'm out of contract and eligible for an upgrade.  I am looking at the samsung moment, htc hero, palm pre, touch pro 2, basically any non-blackberry smartphone that is a little more robust than the Centro.  Obviously, the major caveat is I'd like to keep my current, awesome plan.  My questions are:

1) what phones would I have the best chance of keeping my plan on?  I've read there's little chance of keeping my plan on the Pre or Hero, but is the Moment a possibility?  Would I defintely be able to keep my plan with a Touch Pro 2?

2) what is the best way to try and get one of these phones to work on my plan?  Telesales?  Sprint retail store?  Purchase on ebay and try to activate myself?  I don't want to get one of the new phones and then realize I can't use my old plan and then can't go back to my old plan even if I return the new phone.  I got this plan through a retentions person and thought about emailing her directly again to see what she can provide.

Obviously my number one goal is to keep my current plan, as I will just have to be satisfied with my Centro if upgrading means giving up my plan.

I realize this question may have been raised in other forums related to a specific phone (eg. Pre), but I didn't see a full discussion in the Plan forum.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Any "new" phone available for old, grandfathered "unlimited" plan?

if you want to get a smart phone you will have change your plan.

Journeyman

Sprint's current goal is to force everybody over to their new data plans... whether the customer actually wants that or not. Just look at the transcript of today's chat (once it's posted) and see how many times that came up in the short one-hour timespan with the (highly paraphrased) response being "I don't care what you customers want, this is the way it is."

Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

if you want to get a smart phone you will have change your plan.

Not so. The WinMo devices (TP2, Treo Pro, Samsung Intrepid) are compatible with legacy plans, though there seems to be some confusion among Sprint reps on this.

My advice would be to buy one via Sprint.com or Telesales and activate it through the web process (sprint.com/activate). Keep in mind that if you don't have a data plan of at least $30 you won't be able to claim the MIR.

Wizard

Five devices on Sprint require Everything plans: Instinct, Instinct HD, Palm Pre, Hero and soon Samsung Moment. Blackberry phones will require a Blackberry add-on to your plan. All other phones should work with your current plan. The TP2 will work if you can find one they are only available through selected channels.

Journeyman

Dennyd -

I can totally understand BlackBerry REQUIRING a BlackBerry plan... Unless the phone has WiFi (and even if it does) its USLESS to use for BlackBerry functions which is the purpose of having said BlackBerry correct?

As for Windows, I have a roommate that uses Windows Mobile Touch Pro, and RARELY uses internet on it... so I understand that.

As for anything with Visual Voicemail, or anything that uses massive amounts of data, like Instinct line, Pre/Pixi line, or Android line then totally understand the data requirement.

However, I do believe that if a legacy customer or non-data customer wants these phones, then there should be an option to block all data use (including Visual Voicemail) as well as notifying the customer that they will pay LESS (via Mail In Rebate) for the phone upfront if they do have a data plan. I dont think they should block any account from having a phone based on plan, but should notify customers that its "suggested" and can "save upfront" by doing so. Comcast doesnt tell me I cant have the HD DVR even though I have an SD TV at home do they? Why should Sprint?

Journeyman

I agree with whoever said that Sprint is just trying to force everyone to these new plans. I have a $60 plan with unlimited internet on one line I'm totally happy with, but the price of getting a new phone would be jumping up to $120 a month. On the tech side, it just seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo when they say that the phones need the upgraded internet to function. Do you need upgraded internet to check email, do a little surfing, and use Google maps? I don't think so, but Sprint needs your cash more than they need you to be satisfied with their service.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.