cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an EVO 3D on Amazon Wireless - Can I return it to the store if there is a problem? Will it use up my upgrade?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Buying an EVO 3D on Amazon Wireless - Can I return it to the store if there is a problem? Will it use up my upgrade?

Hi,

Couple of quick questions. I'm going to buy the EVO 3D from Amazon Wireless (would like the Samsung Epic Touch, but put off by the LOS issues) and I wondered, if there is a technical problem with it, can I take it into a Sprint store to have it fixed? I am in NYC. Also, if I decide to return it during the first 14 days, will that mean I have used my Sprint upgrade, or does returning it mean you still get to keep the upgrade?

Lastly, is it worth paying the $7 insurance each month?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

kissiffer wrote:

Cheers onewhoknows. Probably a tough one to answer, but what is the general concensus on these protection plans? Worth paying the extra $7 a month for? Are these devices (EVO 3D) known to be a little flaky over time? I know the older phones were usually built to last, but not sure about these ones.

Ta.

The full protection plan is actually $8 now.  The consensus depends on how much faith you have in yourself to care for the phone, and also how much faith you put in the manufacturer.  Without the protection plan, you can send it to the manufacturer for free warranty service but then you're without a phone for probably at least 10 days.  Otherwise, in-store, any warranty service or repair is covered for a $35 fee.  Now I would say that more than 50% of phones will have at least 1 warranty issue over the 20 months that you will have it inbetween upgrades, so it's really up to you if you want to risk it. 

You can actually purchase the warranty service/repair and the insurance separately, if you want one or the other.  The warranty costs $4 a month and the insurance costs $5.  So for the warranty, if you figure $4 times 20 months, that's $80.  If you have 1 or 2 service/repair issues, it's cheaper to pay the $35 each time.  For the insurance, that's $100 over the 20 months, plus a $100 deductible for each claim.  Without it, if the phone suffers loss, theft, or physical damage, you'd have to purchase another one at full retail, or you would also be able to find a used one for cheaper, if you wanted to go that route.

I would say of the two, the insurance is a better deal at $5 a month because it gets you an overnight replacement for $100 rather than having to re-activate a crappy old phone or have to hunt around for another replacement and possibly be without a phone for a while.  For most customers, even if you have to do 2 claims over the 20-month period, the $300 total that you'll give to the insurance company is at least equal to, if not less than, the replacement cost if, say, you were to buy a used phone as your replacement.  So the insurance is probably a better deal, but then the question is, do you wanna get the warranty for only another $3 per month... 

So it's all about how much you wanna pay, if you can afford it, if you have viable replacement options if you do choose to decline the protection, etc.  Remember it can only be added within the first 30 days, but can be canceled anytime after - better to get it initially and then decide later or after you see how you'll be using the phone.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Wizard

kissiffer,

Thanks for the post. If you purchase through amazon.com, you can certainly utilize a Sprint Service and Repair center for technical support. Keep in mind that should you decide to exchange your device within the 14 day return/exchange period, you will need to process that through the original point of sale. The TEP program is actually $8.00 and I find it to be very valuable, in the event that your device needs servicing (repaired or exchanged under warranty) there is no $35.00 service and repair fee if you have TEP. You also receive the added benefit of 3rd party insurance, should you loose, or damage your device beyond repair. Keep in mind that there is a $100.00 non-refundable deductible in the event that you have that specific scenario.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Buying an EVO 3D on Amazon Wireless - Can I return it to the store if there is a problem? Will it use up my upgrade?

Thanks for the quick response William. If I do happen to return it, will I still be eligible for the cheap upgrade to a different phone, the Samsung Epic Touch 4G for example?).

Also, if I don't select the protection plan when I buy it, can I still add it on at a later date?

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Buying an EVO 3D on Amazon Wireless - Can I return it to the store if there is a problem? Will it use up my upgrade?

kissiffer,

If you return the device within the return/exchange period. You will qualify to have your upgrade eligibility reset however you will be subject to a restocking fee. It would be best to hold off on making a purchase until you know which device you want. It's always best to avoid the restocking fee.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK. Any idea what the restocking fee is as I just ordered it! Also, can I add the protection plan at a later date then? One last thing, if I do have the protection plan and the phone develops a fault of some kind, can I simply take it into a local store for a replacement phone? If the phone is simply faulty and not lost, is there still a $100 deductible?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

kissiffer wrote:

OK. Any idea what the restocking fee is as I just ordered it! Also, can I add the protection plan at a later date then? One last thing, if I do have the protection plan and the phone develops a fault of some kind, can I simply take it into a local store for a replacement phone? If the phone is simply faulty and not lost, is there still a $100 deductible?

Thanks.

1. There is no mention of any type of restocking fee on Amazon Wireless' FAQ site - the restocking fee would only apply when purchasing directly from Sprint.

2. The protection plan can only be added within the first 30 days of activation.  All warranty service and repair is covered for free with the plan - you only need to file a claim and pay the deductible in the event of loss/theft or physical damage to the device.  In that case, the replacement is actually handled by a 3rd party company

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cheers onewhoknows. Probably a tough one to answer, but what is the general concensus on these protection plans? Worth paying the extra $7 a month for? Are these devices (EVO 3D) known to be a little flaky over time? I know the older phones were usually built to last, but not sure about these ones.

Ta.

Highlighted
Journeyman

kissiffer wrote:

Ta.

The full protection plan is actually $8 now.  The consensus depends on how much faith you have in yourself to care for the phone, and also how much faith you put in the manufacturer.  Without the protection plan, you can send it to the manufacturer for free warranty service but then you're without a phone for probably at least 10 days.  Otherwise, in-store, any warranty service or repair is covered for a $35 fee.  Now I would say that more than 50% of phones will have at least 1 warranty issue over the 20 months that you will have it inbetween upgrades, so it's really up to you if you want to risk it. 

You can actually purchase the warranty service/repair and the insurance separately, if you want one or the other.  The warranty costs $4 a month and the insurance costs $5.  So for the warranty, if you figure $4 times 20 months, that's $80.  If you have 1 or 2 service/repair issues, it's cheaper to pay the $35 each time.  For the insurance, that's $100 over the 20 months, plus a $100 deductible for each claim.  Without it, if the phone suffers loss, theft, or physical damage, you'd have to purchase another one at full retail, or you would also be able to find a used one for cheaper, if you wanted to go that route.

I would say of the two, the insurance is a better deal at $5 a month because it gets you an overnight replacement for $100 rather than having to re-activate a crappy old phone or have to hunt around for another replacement and possibly be without a phone for a while.  For most customers, even if you have to do 2 claims over the 20-month period, the $300 total that you'll give to the insurance company is at least equal to, if not less than, the replacement cost if, say, you were to buy a used phone as your replacement.  So the insurance is probably a better deal, but then the question is, do you wanna get the warranty for only another $3 per month... 

So it's all about how much you wanna pay, if you can afford it, if you have viable replacement options if you do choose to decline the protection, etc.  Remember it can only be added within the first 30 days, but can be canceled anytime after - better to get it initially and then decide later or after you see how you'll be using the phone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Superb. Cheers onewhoknows!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.