cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Unlimited Plans - Sprint Considering Tiered Pricing?

Journeyman

Here it is folks, the last reason to stick with Sprint might soon be gone. Hopefully they don't follow through on this.

"In the face of rising data demand, major wireless carriers, such as AT&T, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile, have shifted from unlimited to tiered pricing plans in the last year.

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has said the company is considering adopting tiered pricing."

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=152618

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow i read this really

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like I said above, I really really hope Sprint doesn't go through on this, or this is just bad reporting - taken out of context, etc..

With Tmobile gobbeled up, Sprint will be the only nationwide carrier with out the iPhone. I know there are rumors of a Sprint iPhone coming in September (that will raise the plan costs to 89.99) but until I hear that from Apple or Mr. Hesse the only thing holding a lot of us to Sprint is the promise of unlimited.

Highlighted
Journeyman

this would definitely be the nail in the coffin imo. the only reason I stick with Sprint is to not worry about data usage, if I had to,Id be gone in an instant.

Highlighted
Wizard

You notice there is no source listed? I highly doubt that Dan Hesse himself did an interview with "mediapost.com" and gave them this information.

The "$10 premium data fee" that was recently implemented was put in place to AVOID having to go to tiered data pricing. The only "tiered data" is this, where smartphones are an extra $10 due to the massive increase in data usage versus a "feature phone".

Highlighted
Wizard

Verizon is going with tierd plans on July 7 and the plans starting at $30.Like rexcanis said the $10 premium data fee to AVOID having to go to tiered data pricing.

Highlighted
Master

Most likely what they are reporting on was Hesse's comments 6+ months ago that Sprint would consider tiered data when it was no longer feasible to continue unlimited data plans. Nothing new here, just another website releasing the same information again that has been reported elsewhere in the past.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would definetly be going to a different carrier then, Verizon has better coverage in my area, Sprint's coverage is poor at best. But, When it is good, it is good. I wish their 4g was in more area's so I can use my phone to the ultimate. However, if Sprint stayed with the unlimited, I will stay,even with the extra 10$ a month per phone...Still cheaper as I use my phone for internet and used over 4gigs last month.

Highlighted

From reading the article the average smart phone user still uses less than 1 GB a month. I am in favor of tiered pricing, pay for what you use. I think if folks looked at their monthly invoices they would see they don't use as much as they are being told they do. After reading what some of the data folks claim is their monthly usage, 100+ GB's, which I consider abusive, but they also have an unlimited plan. I am for tiered pricing, keeps the cost down for the average user.

If tiered pricing was to come, I would like to see it set up where you buy a bucket, lets say 2 GB's for x amount, and when the bucket is empty you are directed to a web page where you input your pin to buy another bucket of data. The data bucket of data does not expire every month, it is just a bucket, refilled as you need it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do think this much ado about nothing.  Sprint knows it's bread and butter is unlimited plans.  I would go to Verizon for their better coverage if Sprint did this.  Dan Hesse knows it.  Sprint would never implement this in the near-term unless it absolutely has to. 

However, after they get to a mondo-large network with LightSquared completely built out in 3 to 5 years, they may consider something like this.  If 4G networks were equal quality, capacity and coverage...I would stay with Sprint over Verizon or God-forbid AT&T, even if they implemented tiered data pricing.  But there is no way in the world that Sprint is in the position to institute tiered plans in the next 24 months.  It would be the death of Sprint.  A quick and painful death. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

DALESTONE1 wrote:

From reading the article the average smart phone user still uses less than 1 GB a month. I am in favor of tiered pricing, pay for what you use. I think if folks looked at their monthly invoices they would see they don't use as much as they are being told they do. After reading what some of the data folks claim is their monthly usage, 100+ GB's, which I consider abusive, but they also have an unlimited plan. I am for tiered pricing, keeps the cost down for the average user.

If tiered pricing was to come, I would like to see it set up where you buy a bucket, lets say 2 GB's for x amount, and when the bucket is empty you are directed to a web page where you input your pin to buy another bucket of data. The data bucket of data does not expire every month, it is just a bucket, refilled as you need it.

For low data users, they should consider getting rid of the $10 fee.  This would be more fair and equitable to those of us who chose Sprint for the unlimited data, and for those who are virtually no burden on the data network.  Also, unlimited data will be Sprint's only way to compete with Big Red (Verizon) and the Empire (AT&T) should the Tmo/AT&T merger go through.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.