cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enough is Enough

Highlighted
Patron

Enough is Enough

Ok I get it, the Evo is great. I use it and love it. But the justifications I have read here for a $10 price tax are weak and unpersuasive. One response by a "Sprint" rep said; "because the screen is bigger we anticipate you will use and send more data. . . so the $10 fee is DEVICE specific". I find that illogical and unfair.  Data usage on any phone is measured in megabytes or kilobytes. So why am I to be billed extra for this magical "anticipated" increase in use if my data usage does not actually increase? I understand I don't have to use this phone, I could get another. But what is so "Sprint Premiere" about that.

Also, there is no 4G coverage where I live and there are no signs of it happening any time soon. So again, billing me for an option I cannot use but sounds nice on paper. This person further states that the screen size makes it more likely I will use a lot more data and send videos captured on the phones video camera. Seems to me that if Sprint really feared an overwhelming increase in data usage, they could have capped it on the Evo's and left the "Everything Plan" the way it was. At the end of the day, my usage hasn't sky rocketed like Sprint anticipated but I am being billed for the 16yr old kid somewhere spending his summer sending home made videos and wathcing YouTube.... REally? ....

If you agree, reply to this post. I plan on creating a petition for unfair consumer price gauging. You dont have to add any substantive info. Just reply if you want to be part of the petition. ....below is the comment written by someone who referred to Sprint as "we".

There have been a TON of questions about this monthly Premium Data charge. I hope this will clear things up.

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It's not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices. These features will give you capabilities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience. (Remember, this is the world's first 3G/4G Android phone.)

Separately, some have asked about the $29 a month hotspot charge. (You can connect up to 8 WiFi-enabled devices to one EVO if you pay that monthly charge -- but this is optional.)

I hope this clears things up. While some don't like it, even with these charges, we're still cheaper than AT&T and Verizon, whose 4G networks exist on some beautifully designed PowerPoint slides.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Enough is Enough

I support your petition.

The $10 device fee is rediculous and has no bases in reality and is unfair. I have talked to various people at sprint and they have all said different reasons why the $10 fee is being charged. If the employees are even confussed about the purpose of its existence then i believe it is just price gauging.

Journeyman

You know I see complaints about the $10.00 charge on every forum I log onto.  I look at it a little differently.  Sprint disclosed the $10 at the very beginning.  It is part of the cost of having the EVO 4G.  I am extreemly happy with my phone.  I strongly feel I got what I expected and I'm also paying exactl;y what Sprint told me I would.  I knew the cost going in and accepted it just like you did.  Quit complaining and get on with your life!

Message was edited by: billeverett123

Journeyman

i havent got the new evo but i do plan on getting one in the next day or so.I'm a little upset with the increase but really its still cheaper then the rest and way better service. If you go paperless they will credit you 5 bucks i think !! so go paerless and experience only 5 dollars increase.

Journeyman

You will love the EVO.  With the exception of the actual cell performance it is the best phone I've ever owned by a bunch.  When you go in to get one go to one of the bigger stores.  They are having stock problems right now.  The big stores can get them in less than a day and the little ones tell you a week to 2-weeks.

Journeyman

billeverett123 wrote:

You know I see complaints about the $10.00 charge on every forum I log onto.  I look at it a little differently.  Sprint disclosed the $10 at the very beginning.  It is part of the cost of having the EVO 4G.  I am extreemly happy with my phone.  I strongly feel I got what I expected and I'm also paying exactl;y what Sprint told me I would.  I knew the cost going in and accepted it just like you did.  Quit complaining and get on with your life!

Message was edited by: billeverett123

Actually they did not announce anything about a $10 charge. Have u seen the commercial it is not mentioned once. Also if u look at the info card in a sprint store in tiny little letters it says " premium data addon may apply". Their are alot of people who have bought the evo and had no clue about the extra charge untill the bill came, or noticed it after purchase.

Also no one can give u a clear cut reason why the $10 charge is even necessary. Other then saying that its possible to use alot more data on the evo then other phones. Also some sprint employees have even said that the screen size makes a difference in data consumption, that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard in my life. I did however get an answer from a sprint corporate retentions rep saying that the charge is for 4g access phones. The rep told me that even if your city does not have 4g it will eventually get it and that it would be hard to make people pay a $10 fee after the fact. This to me is the first and most honest answer i have gotten from anyone that works at sprint that makes any sense to me. also if sprint came out and said this in the first place alot less people would be angry and except it. I would chaulk the $10 fee for 4g without my city even having it up to the price u pay for early adoption of new tech.

O wait ceo Dan Hesse let the cat out of the bag that maintaining 4g is less costly. So i guess there went charging for 4g. So this is my theory on the nonsense excuses they are making for the fee.

Remember this is just my rant and opinion and if u are a sprint fanboy or sprint secret agent please do not reply to my post!!!

Journeyman

Well, I'm sure not a Sprint secret agent.  I have no idea how you define "fanboy" but I sure like my EVO 4G and although I think they charge a lot for the service I knew exactly what I was going to pay when I signed up.  I asked and they told me.  No one tried to hide anything from me.

I've fallen in love with the EVO and what it can do.  I was a Rasberry user and the EVO is much much much better.  I guess I'm used to paying for "better".  It usually works out that way.

I have no idea what Sprint's real reason is for the $10 but being a business man I would guess that they are charging what they feel the market will bear.  Based on the fact that the phone is sold out it would seem that they have hit the sweet spot in the marketplace.

This will be my last post on this thread.  I think we can just agree that we disagree.  I got what I'm paying for and am happy with the deal I made.

Journeyman

I think if you go back to the initial info released at initial announcement of the evo thay did mention the 10.00 monthly fee.

Wizard

I was skeptical of data usage on the Evo being any different than my Hero.  I still need to wait a few months to watch it all average out, but I can say that they were right though.  I have used over 2GB of data this month and still have 7 days remaining (without wifi hotspot or tethering).  On a heavy month with my hero, I wouldn't get near 500MB of data used.  It is a bit confusing to me though why it can be so high with the same OS, I have everything set for normal syncs, etc., so therefore, it must be the hardware. (And I find it a bit ridiculous that youtube won't let you upload HD videos over 3G network, now that would jump the data numbers quickly)

NOW, what I would be more in support of is removing the $29.99 hotspot fee because "unlimited data" is unlimited data. Why pay $10 for unlimited premium data (it isn't for 4G, that's been stated by Sprint) and then pay another $30 for unlimited unlimited data?  They charge it because they can, just like the $10 fee.  I would be willing to pay $10 to get true unlimited data like advertised.  It shouldn't matter how many devices are tethered to my Sprint connection at that point.

Journeyman

You can root the phone and override software restricitions.

Patron

@BillEverett'

Thanks Bill. Your concern for my life offers me the security I need to sleep better at night. Ill take into consideration your advice and try to "get on with it".   Let me be clear, because as expected, someone like you came on to a blog to offer nothing insightful or worth reading. To begin with, what do you mean when you say everytime you come on? Do you look for blogs you don't want to read, then read them, and then complain that you did?

Either way, I will clarify. I appreciate Sprint Service above all others. I have tried them all and in my area, Sprint is the most reliable. Additionally, I love the Evo and its many new features and capabilities. But here is what bugs me. When you buy a phone, with more features, and capabilities, the cost of all those new features are worked into the purchase price. That is to say, when you pay $300.00 for a phone, you're paying for the ability to do, what you cannnot do on a $30 Metro phone. You pay for it at inception. But how does it follow logically, or with any semblance of reason, that because I paid $300-$400 for a phone that gives me more features than a $30 alternative, I should now pay extra to actually use those features...

......Moreover, when data is calculated in its aggregate, at the end of the month, a blackberry user could use just as much data as I do on my Evo. I concede that the form and manner in which he uses X amount of data might not be as advanced or seamless as I will on the Evo, but thats what the purchase price of the phone is for. Regardless, Data on a Blackberry is the same as Data on an Evo. Dont tell me you have to charge me more because I could send a video easier on this phone than I can on the other. That is what I paid for the phone for.

I also have a major issue with paying for something I am not getting...you know..throwing money away. I get the same data on the Evo I could get on my Blackberry. The blackberry was 3G as well as the Evo ( there is NO 4G in my area). So what "PREMIUM DATA" am I being charged a surtax for? Essentially, I am not getting anything more or different, just paying more.

The issue is that as technology advances, it transforms from a luxury, to a necessity. Its hard to imagine not being able to read a document and forward it to another client because I'm in my car, or because I opted out of a new phone. It would be pretty hard to compete in the professional world in almost any industry or sector If the guy next to me has a virtual office in his pocket and I got a regular old phone. The companies know this, and they exploit consumers with it.   Heres something for you to ponder... You buy a new Mac computer, because it has a new feature you need with your job. Plain and simple you need it. But when you buy the Mac, your Internet provider tells you, "hey, I gotta charge you more for internet now because your likely to use more data since you have a new computer and all". Does that seem fair to you? IF it does, I ask that you deposit this weeks' paycheck, in unmarked non sequential bills, into a specified account number I will give you. Its not for me, but to help Unicorns that were rendered Homeless by the Gulf oil spill find a new home at the end of rainbows.

Patron

Hey, where can i get the details on how to do this?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.