Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything data plan questions!

Journeyman

If I have the everything data plan should i still be getting that additional $10 premium data charge? Doesn't everything data mean I'm already paying for unlimited data ?? Why am I being charged again? and per phone?? Is this correct? or do I need to get it fixed?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Wizard

Please do a search. This has been explained multiple times. The $10 addon is charged to all smartphones because smartphone users, on average, use a lot more data. Kind of like how people under 25 pay extra for car insurance even if their individual records are spotless.

So the answer to your question is: when you pay for everything data, it includes unlimited data for feature phones, but not smartphones. For smartphones, you need to pay $10 more. Per line.

Highlighted
Master

kaaat08

• The $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is necessary on smartphones because these devices on average use 10x more data than an average feature phone.
  • Even with this charge, Sprint customers still enjoy the best value in wireless.
  • Rather than imposing limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint has extended its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all Smartphone activations.
  • This is not a charge for 4G service.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes.  You are suppose to be charged the $10 premium data charge if you have a smartphone.  This charge is per line with a smartphone. 

I just factor in this charge as the cost for my service.  For example, 2 lines with smartphones is $150 a month.  I would then take this amount and shop around with other carriers.  If Sprint is still the best choice for me, then no point in concerning myself over this additional charge.  If you feel Sprint is now overpriced in comparison to others, then you might want to go to a different carrier.  This much is for sure, this fee is not going anywhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to disagree with smartphones using "10x more data".  What does a non smartphone use a month?  Maybe 1 GB.  So your basically saying the average smartphone uses close to the 10GB range.

I have had a smartphone for close to 3 years now.  I had rarely gone over 1 GB.  And the few occasions I did, I was still under 2GB. 

I agree some people will use alot of data with their smartphones.  But also alot of those people are rooting and tethering and stealing that data for their other devices.  I think instead of charging everyone extra fees for other peoples uses, the people using alot of data should have to pay the extra amount.  Just a thought

abe2020 wrote:

kaaat08

• The $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is necessary on smartphones because these devices on average use 10x more data than an average feature phone.
  • Even with this charge, Sprint customers still enjoy the best value in wireless.
  • Rather than imposing limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint has extended its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all Smartphone activations.
  • This is not a charge for 4G service.
Highlighted
Journeyman

AT&T I know forces you to pay extra for a "Smartphone" Dataplan. And you still dont get unlimited. If you dont want to pay $10 a month then get rid of the smartphone. No matter who you go with looks like you will get charged for the smartphone. I for one rather pay the $10 then over $20 for the other carriers and have a limit on my plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you decide to go the non-smartphone route, then AT&T is the same price as Sprint.

Sprint is $70 a month if you do not have a smartphone.  This includes 450 anytime minutes, mobile to mobile, nights and weekends.  It also includes unlimited texting and data

At&t is:

$40- for 450 anytime minutes, 5000 nights/weekends, mobile to mobile, and rollover

$30- for unlimited texting and data

Total- $70 a month.

If you decide not to get a smartphone then Sprint and AT&T are the same price.

If you want to get a smartphone, Sprint will be $80 a month and AT&T will be $85 a month (2 GB data use).

Folt45 wrote:

AT&T I know forces you to pay extra for a "Smartphone" Dataplan. And you still dont get unlimited. If you dont want to pay $10 a month then get rid of the smartphone. No matter who you go with looks like you will get charged for the smartphone. I for one rather pay the $10 then over $20 for the other carriers and have a limit on my plan.

Highlighted
Wizard

ColonolKlink wrote:

I have to disagree with smartphones using "10x more data".  What does a non smartphone use a month?  Maybe 1 GB.  So your basically saying the average smartphone uses close to the 10GB range.

I doubt very much that feature phones, on average, use anything close to 1GB of data per month. If you are not watching videos, which most people don't do on feature phones, and you don't have a streaming music player, which no feature phone I know of does, it is incredibly difficult to reach 1GB just on emails and web browsing and Facebook. And feature phone users aren't even heavy users (on their phones anyway) of these services. I would be rather surprised if the average feature phone user used any more than 100MB of data per month (actually, it'd be pretty hard to even get to 100MB for them).

Here are some estimates on how much activity 1MB or 1GB of data entails.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.