cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO: Extra Charge for Hotspot?

79 REPLIES
Master

My error.  I made an assumption that upon reserch is incorrect.  At this time data use for the hotspot is not prorated

Master

WHAT? No it dont. If I sign up for it and use it for 10 days and use my 5gb and then remove it I will only be charged for the days used, No overages. Hotspot usage is not prorated.

14KNIGHT wrote:

The last post from the 29th of august was written before the change in the hotspot plan.

The hotspot now has 5 GB limit each month.  So useage prorates as well as the monthly fee.  5gb per month works out to about 165 MB per day   so if you only have the the  plan for 2 days you would have a 320 Mb limit for data  before overage would  be applied.  Overage is .05cents per MB

Master

The last post from the 29th of august was written before the change in the hotspot plan.

The hotspot now has 5 GB limit each month.  So useage prorates as well as the monthly fee.  5gb per month works out to about 165 MB per day   so if you only have the the  plan for 2 days you would have a 320 Mb limit for data  before overage would  be applied.  Overage is .05cents per MB

Journeyman

Hello,

I just finally ran into this problem having bought another device. So, has anything changed?  I am considering getting rid of my dsl and just getting a mobile hotspot so I can use both devices.  Errrg.

The concept is relatively easy. The only thing that may throw a wrench in is your billing cycle.

Say you want to use the hotspot the 1st through the 5th. Your billing cycle is on the 3rd. In this instance your bill would show  charges for the 1st-2nd as prorated, then a month in advance like every other charge on the bill. When you then remove the hotspot on the 5th it would prorate back. So the next bill after that would be essentially refunding you the amount for the 6th-30th of the month since you paid for it but did not have the hotspot for that period.

Journeyman

Thank you! Have you done this, and did the billing work out right for you? The concept seems easy enough, I'm just afraid I'll get stuck with the whole $29.99! I really appreciate the feedback.

Master

There is no separate place to sign up for the $1 a day usage, You select the HotSpot add on at $29.99, Use it for the days you wish, Then go back in and unselect it and when you receive your bill you will only be charged for the days it was activated.

ALYSONLW1 wrote:

I just chatted with an online representative that told me there is no option for $1/day Hot Spot service. I found the link on my account page to select the service for $29.99/month, but I just need it for a couple of days this month, and then not again. Has anyone actually had this work for $1, and how, specifically, did you make it happen from your account settings? Thanks!

ALYSONLW1 wrote:

I just chatted with an online representative that told me there is no option for $1/day Hot Spot service. I found the link on my account page to select the service for $29.99/month, but I just need it for a couple of days this month, and then not again. Has anyone actually had this work for $1, and how, specifically, did you make it happen from your account settings? Thanks!

There is no official $1/day hotspot service. However adding/removing features on Sprint.com take effect immediately. So you add the Hotspot service the day you want to start using it then remove it the day you are done. The charge will be prorated based on the number of days it was active. It comes to roughly $1/day since it is $29.99/mo.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO: Extra Charge for Hotspot?

Well Said!!!!   And if you click on the link that the previous person provided, the page doesn't show the "Important Plan and 4G Coverage Info" phrases in blue as a link.  Oh, you can click on it, but it's in black and doesn't seem like a link unless you hover over it.  I also don't believe that info was there in the past.  But, I'm glad it's there now so people can know ALL the facts before buying their products.    Plus, the one dude talked about how America is "Sue Happy", yeah, that's because our companies are "Skrew Happy" toward their customers!