cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep my existing plan and upgrade my phone?

Journeyman

My wife and I are on a Family Shared plan of 1,500 minutes, unlimited talk, text and web (apparently at 3G speed only).  We both have the Blackberry Curve and are month to month.

If we upgrade our phones Sprint has informed us that we will have to pay an additional $10.00 per phone to keep unlimited data, even if we upgrade with the exact same phone.

I don't think this is fair as I don't care about 4G speed and don't mind the 3G speed but just want to get a different phone.

Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES

You must be talking about the Premium Data for smartphones. As of January 30, 2011 ALL  smartphones including Blackberries. At first this was for 4G phones only, but now for all even though all areas don't have 4G.

Wizard

The answer is that you actually can't avoid this charge. By the way, just curious, you say it's unfair that you would have this extra charge even if you get the exact same phone. Which begs the question, if you want the exact same phone, why would you get a new one?

Journeyman

If my existing phone were damaged and I got another one through TEP, I'd be activating the exact same phone (sort of). So, do I have to pay the extra $10/mo?

Master

Re: How do I keep my existing plan and upgrade my phone?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2011/01/19/whats-there-to-kno...

TotalEquipment Protection

What's there to know about the $10 Premium Data Add-on for Smartphones?

What about Service & Repair or Advanced Exchange?

• If you activated a smartphone prior to 1/30/11 and received a smartphone as a warranty or insurance replacement, you do not have to pay the $10 Premium Data add-on.

What about TEP?

• If you activated a smartphone prior to 1/30/11 and received a smartphone as an insurance replacement, you do not have to pay the $10 Premium Data add-on charge.