cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sprint blowing it huge with the $10 EVO fee...agree or disagree

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Sprint blowing it huge with the $10 EVO fee...agree or disagree

I have read thorugh most of the posts regarding this issue and it appears that many believe the fee is ridiculous and many do not. From what I've been told by Sprint CSR's, I have come to the conclusion that if I buy the EVO, I am essentially paying an extra $10 per mo. for 4G which I can't get in my area. What Sprint is saying (in addition to other various ever changing reasons) is that the fee is essentially for the priviledge of having the EVO for its "enhanced data experience." To me this phone is all about the 4G experience and if I can't get 4G in my area, I don't get that 4G experience. Sprint can say the $10 fee isn't for the 4G service but if you look at all the advertising which focuses on 4G as the primary selling point, the $10 fee is all about 4g access.

Yes I understand the EVO plus the fee may be cheaper than some or most of the other cell providers but that is not the point. The point is many of your customers are feeling cheated. If you just google the words sprint and cusomer loss you'll see the losses have been in the millions. They are getting crushed by Verizon and AT&T. They finally have a phone with great potential, one that is getting people excited and they institute this blanket fee which basically says, your going to pay an extra $240 or more depending how long you use the phone past the 2- year agreement whether you have 3G or 4G. For those who do have 4G access in their area from what iv'e read most are just fine with the fee which makes sense since they get the 4G experience but for those who don't have 4G access your being charged the same and your getting less in return.

I created this post as a place for us premier customers to let sprint know how many of us disagree with what they are doing or a place for those who agree with Sprint's $240 plus fee to make their case. I have a feeling if they don't correct this issue, the customer losses are going to continue. I liked sprint because of there supposed "everything plan," if I wanted to be nickel and dimed I'd go back to at&t. You would think Sprint would use common sense and kill this fee before its too late. For them it isn't just a question of trying to attract new customers but it is still a question of trying to keep the ones you have. Count me in the latter.  Hopefully someone in sprint management is reading hese posts...please post if you disagree or agree.

1,362 REPLIES 1,362
Wizard

Re: Is Sprint blowing it huge with the $10 EVO fee...agree or disagree

Disagree. At the price point they have for this device even with the $10 monthly charge, I don't think Sprint will have any problem selling the EVO. With the specs for the EVO when connected to a wireless network it will truly scream. When WiMax arrives it will be that much better.

dd

Journeyman

You are missing the point, the fee is not the big deal here the justification for this fee is. People in non 4G markets won't be able to use the higher data speeds and no data/voice at the same time also. So, two of the most important features of the EVO are not available for many potential customers. That's why the fee is ridiculous.  Now, are people going to buy the phone regardless? YES, because we want the best of the best even when there are obvious reasons to the contrary Just my 2c.

Journeyman

I had thought the EVO was going to be a real opportunity for Sprint to increase their market share, but I believe the $10 surcharge is going to keep enough people from switching and disenfranchise enough current customers that they are doomed to remain the "little guys".  I would think about dropping my current high speed Internet and figure the WiMax hotspot could take it's place, but then when I take the phone out of the house, my wife would loose her Internet access.

Journeyman

I have to agree, Sprint is blowing it.  I was a definite yes to upgrade to the EVO, but now having serious second thoughts.  $120/year extra and I'm in a 3g area could be a deal breaker.

Journeyman

I agree it's BS as well.   If 4G was readily available, or the $10 were to be charged if you were in a 4G area, that's one thing...

Let's be honest, how many people would jump all over the EVO if it was announced at a $439 opposed to $199.   Cause that's pretty much what it is for what 80%+ of the people buying this Phone, considering by the time your contract will be up in 2012 with this Phone, I'm going to say that less than 50% of Sprint's customers will be in 4G areas.

Journeyman

I think the real reason why Sprint is charging this $10 fee is because the phone was very expensive to manufacture. If sprint did not add this fee the phone would have cost $449 with a 2yr contract. At that price many people will opt out and not get the phone.

which would you prefer $449 + 2y contract...or.....$199 +10 monthy fee+2yr contract

I believe there will be people that wont get the phone due to the fee but it would have been more tragic to them if it where the other option($449), so they had to pick the lessor of two evils...

Wizard

Sprint has been losing it's a$$ for far too long. It is time for the company to make some money. If you don't want to pay the $10 a month for the device then don't buy the thing. Their other option was to only release it in 4G areas. Then everyone would be screaming that it is unfair. Maybe that is Sprint's mistake. Should have just released it in 4G areas for the first month. In fact I think it is a really good suggestion.

dd

Journeyman

It isn't just selling EVOs that sprint needs to accomplish...to gain market share when you have lost as many cusomers as sprint has, you have to give great deals to regain momentum. When your established again which sprint is "very far from that" you can offer lesser deals. Is the phone price point good at $199, sure I agree. Are they going to sell many EVOs, sure again, but will they sell enough to make a difference. When a group of customers feel they are getting less for paying the same, your going to upset a lot of people. You may be willing to pay the extra ten even though you don't get 4G but I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who won't whether its by principal or not. I don't think when your trying to right your ship that this is a good way to start. I fully intended to pre-order an EVO at Radioshack until the rep told me I would have to pay an extra $120 per year even though I don't get 4G access. It just didn't seem right to me. He also told me I was the 5th person that day that changed their mind. If there's one disappointed customer, there are others. Is sprint willing to take that risk...I guess they are. They should be trying to gain as much market share as possible before the new iphone comes out and make the EVO a distant memory.

Message was edited by: toyshop2

Wizard

Okay Sprint, I guess the vote is in. Sell the EVO in 4G or soon to be 4G areas only. The 3G area people feel you are ripping them off.

I just don't happen to be one of them.

dd

Message was edited by: Dennyd

Journeyman

Jsmart2 wrote:

I think the real reason why Sprint is charging this $10 fee is because the phone was very expensive to manufacture. If sprint did not add this fee the phone would have cost $449 with a 2yr contract. At that price many people will opt out and not get the phone.

which would you prefer $449 + 2y contract...or.....$199 +10 monthy fee+2yr contract

I believe there will be people that wont get the phone due to the fee but it would have been more tragic to them if it where the other option($449), so they had to pick the lessor of two evils...

This is what I have been trying to explain to people but it seems like most try to ignore facts and common business practice. What is funny is that even with the extra fee, they are still cheaper than similar competitor 3G plans that offer less. Do people realize that you can get the EVO for the same price as  touch pro 2 on Win 6.5!!!!!! or just $50 more than the pre! They have made it so that most people will be able to afford the upfront cost and all they ask is for an additional $10/month. I think the problem is that because Sprint priced the phone at 199 people are not willing to admit this is a premium phone and clearly not for everyone. How much was the hero or moment at launch? The TP2 just got reduced recently. Wasn't it 299 or 349 for the longest time?

Please do not argue that sprint is charging 4g price for 3g areas as they made it clear the fee is tied to the device not the service. If you do not think the EVO is worth an extra 10/month over current last gen phones then this phone is clearly not for you.

Message was edited by: original00

Journeyman

"Please do not argue that sprint is charging 4g price for 3g areas as  they made it clear the fee is tied to the device not the service."

You seem to be missing the point. You say Sprint is trying to sell this as $10 extra for the device but the bottom line is one group is able to get 4G and the other is not, yet both pay the same as if they all had 4G access. If all customers were getting the same services for the $199 +  $10 you wouldn't be hearing the backlash.

This issue isn't about how much cheaper this is than another competitors, it's the fact that 3G customers are not getting the same service for their extra $120 per year as 4G customers are.

By the way, Sprint is not tying it to the device, their customer service reps and press releases are tying it to the use of "umlimited premium data," and you need "premium speed" for that "premium data." And if you can't get 4G, you are paying $10 more for a service your not getting. Your right about one thing for sure...those people who do not think the EVO is worth an extra 10/month over current last  genertation phones will not buy it because they don't want to pay $120 extra per year for a service those customers in 4G areas get for the same amount they are paying. It's like selling all cars throughout the country with a turbo charger installed and charging them all an extra fee for the extra horsepower, yet only cars in 32 cities have the mechanics to adjust the cars for the extra horsepower so the other cities are out of just out of luck. Though that logic may make sense to some, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.