cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

Journeyman

Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

What is meant by a "richer experience?"  My plan has unlimited data... not really happy with their explanation about the $10/month charge for "Premium Data."  Anyone know what the difference is, or anyone have an Epic without the premium data???

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

I just complained about this to a Sprint billing associate today, too!  I let them know that I didn't want the 4G premium package (assuming you could buy into it, which the sales rep I was dealing with made it seem), but when I checked my bill online today to see what else I'd be charged (taxes, activation, etc), I saw the $10!

I called right away and informed them that there must have been a mistake.  Billing's explanation was the because the Epic IS a 4G device, I (and everyone else) would have the incur this cost.  I tried to finagle with Sprint (I didn't ask for it, I was under the assumption it was optional, I don't seem to be receiving "super-fast 4G service"--and I'm in Chicago, so I believe we're equiped with it--etc), but to no avail.

Alright, I didn't care.  But the 4G I hoped to receive isn't that noticeable.

@NewEpic---I think both you (and I) know the answer to you rhetorical question on the meaning of "richer experience".  Of what I know, anyone with a 4G enabled device will pay the $10 premium data fee.  And, as I mentioned, I see no difference between 4G and 3G myself, and I have access in Chicago.  You may not even have 4G in your area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spent a long time on the phone today with account services reference a similar issue.  Bottom line I believe they are trying to push everyone to the "Everything data" plans and the 4G phones to get more revenue.  They are probably overall more expensive than most peoples current plans.  They try to justify it by throwing more minutes at you than you need, stating their network is better etc.  However, I believe it's a money grab...bill just keeps going up especially for the new gen of smart phones.  Lowest plan I can go with if I want a new smart phone (EVO or Epic) to upgrade my current one is "Everything Data 1500" Share plan at $130 plus $10 per EVO/EPIC!  I don't need all those minutes but I know they're just upcharging for the new phone/data piece.  I'm checking out other options to include prepaid.  Bottom line Sprint is trying to close the revenue gap with it's competitors!

Highlighted
Patron

I just upgraded to an Evo last week and haven't been able to get on 4G. I'd assumed that the $10 was for 4G access, as advertised, so I called support last night. After being escalated to an "advanced tier", the girl told me the charge isn't for 4G - it's for "rich data services". I had to scoff at this, as the only difference between my current device/functionality and my old HTC Hero rests with a slightly larger screen and the newest version of Android. I could only get 3G on my Hero, and can only get 3G on my Evo. I live in Portland, OR in the 97214 zipcode, which according to the various Sprint-hosted 4G maps, should be able to get it... even indoors. The girl then told me I could still use it outdoors. While this may be true (haven't tried outdoors), it's going to be cold and rainy for the next 5 months here.

So, I guess in summary, I'm not really at all sure what the $10 is for... but they can't explain it, and you have to pay it.

Highlighted
Wizard

I so understand your frustration about the $10 premium charge but unfortunately you're stuck with it if you want to keep the EVO.  If in your mind there really are no other differences between the EVO and your old Hero than the slightly larger screen and the newest version of Android (which may not be worth $120 to you) you have 30 days from the day of activation to return/leave the new device and go back to the Hero. Your account, including your prior plan, if you changed, and commitment will be restored.  And then you can upgrade to a non-4G phone where you don't have the $10 charge.

If you're interested, I've shared my thoughts on the $10 charge in this discussion (among other things): http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/219079#219079 (look for the really long post, last big paragraph).

Highlighted

ClaudiPo wrote:

I so understand your frustration about the $10 premium charge but unfortunately you're stuck with it if you want to keep the EVO.  If in your mind there really are no other differences between the EVO and your old Hero than the slightly larger screen and the newest version of Android (which may not be worth $120 to you) you have 30 days from the day of activation to return/leave the new device and go back to the Hero. Your account, including your prior plan, if you changed, and commitment will be restored.  And then you can upgrade to a non-4G phone where you don't have the $10 charge.

If you're interested, I've shared my thoughts on the $10 charge in this discussion (among other things): http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/219079#219079 (look for the really long post, last big paragraph).

Um...ClaudiPo...what you said is NOT true.  If I, for example, wanted to go from a SERO plan with an HTC Touch Pro to an HTC Evo 4G with one of the Everything Data plans and within 30 days decided that the Evo isn't all it's cracked up to be, there is NO WAY Sprint is going to allow me (or anyone else) to go back to the SERO plan.

In my case, I have the Nextel Free Incoming Plus plan.  You're telling me that I can go back to the same grandfathered plan if I upgrade to an Evo and then decide it's not for me within 30 days?  Trust me...the nanosecond that I opt to "upgrade" to a 4G device, I can kiss my old "Free Incoming Plus" plan goodbye perminently, even if I did decide that the new handset isn't for me.

Bottom line:

Sprint has no idea how to explain this added $10/month data charge, and telling the truth (i.e., we're charging it because we think people are dumb enough to pay it) will cause an even bigger uproar than simply doing what they currently do (i.e., NOT explaining it in any honest way, shape, or form) that they figure why bother.  Personally, I say why bother with Sprint?  I'm still waiting for a truly compelling reason to stay with Sprint.   For me, PTT is no longer the MUST HAVE option since Sprint has ruined that experience.  Oh...and what exactly is "premium data" and a "richer data experience" anyway?

Highlighted
Patron

The "rich data experience" from what it sounded like on the phone, is basically what you get by being able to use Android 2.2 and its new features. That's really all I can figure, since she specifically said the charge was unrelated to 4G service. So, basically they locked us out of further Android updates with older phones, like the Hero, and are forcing us to pay an additional $10/mo charge for a simple OS upgrade. If this is the case, it's unprecedented in the world of OS releases. Even Microsoft only charges you once for a new version of an OS, not incremental monthly charges. In my opinion, the $10/mo charge is pure marketing spin.

Highlighted
Wizard

quasijedi wrote:

Um...ClaudiPo...what you said is NOT true.  If I, for example, wanted to go from a SERO plan with an HTC Touch Pro to an HTC Evo 4G with one of the Everything Data plans and within 30 days decided that the Evo isn't all it's cracked up to be, there is NO WAY Sprint is going to allow me (or anyone else) to go back to the SERO plan.

quasijed,

I'm not here to argue with you about what's true and what isn't.  I think we're both right and here is why.

(1) Sprint does guarantee customers to return their devices if they are dissatisfied and return back to their old plan.  You can read more about it at http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns .  There are, however, caveats, most of them system-driven.  See (2).

(2) The last thing I want to do is spread incorrect information or mislead customers.  So I checked again, specifically about the ability to return to an ancient plan like yours may be.  So again, as part of the 30-Day Risk Free Guarantee policy, the state of the account, including prior plan and commitment, is to be restored.  Now, that will NOT be possible if the plan code of the previous plan is no longer in the system that the reps use to pick price plan codes from (it contains both current plans as well as plans with a sales expiry date).  So if for 15 years, you've been on a $20 plan with 1000 minutes and all sorts of stuff included, then by all means stay on that plan if you can live with the device you have or one that will work with that plan.  The Web page above says, "If your old plan’s no longer available, we’ll find one that’s comparable."  Well, in the, granted exaggerated, example I gave, it is highly unlikly that a comparable plan is still available.

I don't know the details of your Nextel Free Incoming Plus plan.  I have a hunch that it's from pre-merger days so, yes, it is very possible it's one of the plans no longer in the system. If you want to send me your account information, I have a Care employee (not a CSR) on standby to check it out.

As for SERO, those plans are not yet that old and my guess is that they are not yet restricted from the selection by the reps.  One of the Care experts I frequently consult with also stated that customers "can usually be returned to their SERO plan".  Be aware though, customers in a "specialty" group like SERO or EPRP (Everything  Plus Referral Program) changing to a regular consumer plan will NOT be  able to rejoin their previous customer group because of the whole  referral process...and existing customers cannot be referred, alas.

My advice to everyone doing a phone upgrade with a plan swap, or a plan swap only, is to first confirm that, if they wanted to, they could get back on the EXACT SAME plan/same code that they are presently on.  There is still a chance that in the 30 days the plan will be removed from the system as these updates happen frequently with the gazillion of plans that we have.  Ask the rep what "comparable" plan you would be offered in case the old plan will have been removed from the system, so you can assess the risk.  Insist that they make a recommendation, ask about MRC, included features, compatible devices.  Make sure they put this in notes for the next rep to see when you call back in.  If you want a transcript of your conversation, use the online Chat function under Support and you will get it emailed to you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is my experince

Stay with your old plan

Message was edited by: unkownid

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.