Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with plans and phones (please) -- at the crossroads w/Sprint

Journeyman

Need help with plans and phones (please) -- at the crossroads w/Sprint

I've been a Sprint customer for many years.  I'm an older guy who does not text (about one text every other month slips through before I block it).  My phone is a Sanyo RL-4920 (somewhat rugged with good battery life).  My plan, which expired five years ago, is $40/month for 500 nationwide anytime minutes/unlimited nights and weekends+$5 for nationwide roaming.  I can add a $15 data pack to my plan or a $30 pro pack (which adds GPS and texting, neither of which I need).  I also get a 15% discount.  My typical use is near 500 anytime minutes most months and I will go over about once a year.  Almost all calls are to landline phones.

I am at the crossroads with Sprint.  I used to be able to stock spare new RL-4920's in case of a breakdown.  That's drying up so I'm looking at new phones.  Sprint is trying to push plans and features I neither need or want. 

For example, the $69.99 plan is only 450 minutes, less than what I have now.  I can theoretically add the $15 data pack but Sprint is being dicey about what phones will work with it.  I would like to add the $15 data pack so that I could get a phone that I can tether or use for web/wifi access without committing myself to a new plan at this time.  Again, I don't text or want to text and I own a couple of GPS units.  Also, 4G isn't available here in the north Chicago suburbs. 

IMHO, I believe the Android market is interesting but I suspect there's work to be done with the hardware, i.e., longer battery life, less heat, etc.

In summary, what I want for now is to keep my present plan, add the $15 data pack and find a phone that I can occasionally use for wifi and tethering to a laptop.  I may decide to make a switch at a later point, perhaps when the phone issues subside and Sprint offers a plan that will give me more, not less.

Any suggestions for phones?  Has anyone had experience with the $15 data pack and what it can do?  Can I get one of the non-4g smartphones to work with it (but for GPS and texting)? 

Thanks much!!!  Overall, I've been supportive of Sprint but this most recent experience makes me want to shop around.

2 REPLIES 2
Sprint Product Ambassador

I loved the RL4920!  That was a *great* phone.  I had 3 or 4 of them through my family. 

Claudia posted a complete list here of what phones will work with your current plan, some offering WiFi or Data capabilities.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/206483#206483

For a current rock solid phone, like the 4920, I'd try to find a Sanyo Pro 700.  Rugged, great call quality and more.  It advertises the Direct Connect features, but it runs on the Sprint CDMA network, so you get the widest coverage.  It can be activated on your $40/mo plan, and you don't need to activate the Direct Connect feature.  Great basic voice phone. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Based on what Claudia wrote yesterday I almost went out and got the HTC Touch Pro 2.

Today she revised the list and several phones, including that one, disappeared from it. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.