cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sprint Premier Program Bad for Evo Owners

Highlighted
Journeyman

New Sprint Premier Program Bad for Evo Owners

I just received notification that Sprint is changing their Premier program to have two levels, Silver and Gold.  Silver gets you an upgrade for all lines at 22 months and Gold gets you an upgrade for 1 line at 12 months.  The old program used to give you 1 line upgrade at 12 months regardless.  It looks like despite the fact that my total Sprint bill is $213 a month due to 2 Evos, 2 premium data surcharges, and 1 mobile hotspot, I only qualify for silver (despite $213 a month = $2,556/year).  Really?  $2,556 a year to Sprint does not qualify me for Gold? The Evo is already so expensive with all of the "extra charges", don't you think we should qualify for Sprint Premier Gold with our Evo's?

Sprint Premier Silver 69.99-89.98 Individual Plan, 99.99-169.98 shared plan

Sprint Premier Gold 89.99+ individual plan, 169.99 + Shared plan or 10 years+ Sprint service

Silver = "New for You" upgrade for all lines at 22 months

Gold = Annual Upgrade (1 per qualified line)

Here is a link to Sprint's New Premier Program

I feel like us Evo owners are getting scre*** with this new plan.  We pay so much more for these phones that we should be GOLD.

Anyone else agree?

(Sprint Admin - please do not move this post to Sprint Premier threads - it is specific to Evo users and should stay in the Evo forums. Thanks.)

41 REPLIES 41
Journeyman

Re: New Sprint Premier Program Bad for Evo Owners

I understand where you are coming from however I don't think Sprint's plans are that out of line at all. Go build yourself an iphone plan on craptastic at&t and see how many extra charges there are on top of capped data.

The problem is they bascially changed their mind where if they would have just made this the rule to begin with when premier first came out, people wouldn't be saying anything. It sucks when your use to something and they just take it away.

No other carrier does yearly upgrades as far as I am aware of, so even if you have to up your plan to the next level to qualify I still don't think it's that bad a deal since no one else does it. They could just yank it all together but I do think it was a bad PR move to change it when they should have made it that way in the beginning if that's what they wanted to do. My advice is just to up your plan to qualify or wait till you hit 10 years which could be a very long time. Just remember Sprint could just yank the program all together, getting yearly upgrades on high end phones is pretty nice. So at least you still have an option to get it if you want.

So I do agree with you that it certainly does suck that the rules are changing espeicially with that high of a monthly bill however they still haven't ditched the program all together which would really suck.

Journeyman

Dear Unappreciated Customer, (I made up that part)

I understand your concern that your average bill is $213.00 a month.
There is criteria for the Sprint Gold and Silver status for the customer
as below:

To be Sprint Premier Gold, customers must have at least 6 months tenure
and meet the following qualifications:

* Individual plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $89.99 or
* Shared plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $169.99 or
* Tenure of 10+ years with Sprint Wireless
* Good standing

To be Sprint Premier Silver, customers must have at least 6 months
tenure and meet the following qualifications:
* Individual plans with a 3 month average MRC $69.99-$89.98 or
* Shared plans with a 3 month average MRC $99.99 -$169.98
* Good standing

As per our records, your account has the $129.99 Everything Data Share
1500 plan and your account was established on April 05, 2008. To be a
gold customer an account should be Tenure of 10+ years with Sprint
Wireless.

This is the reason, your account qualifies for the Sprint premier silver
status.

Thank you again for e-mailing us.

Sincerely,
Samson A.
Sprint

Wizard

Re: New Sprint Premier Program...What is it good for? (Absolutely Nothing?)

Did I read that correctly...the big advantage for being a Silver Premier customer is that you get your discounted upgrade at 22 months instead of 24 months?

(My apologies to Edwin Starr)

Journeyman

Add me to the list of becoming very dissatisfied customer.  I have been with Sprint a long time and they keep chipping away at the reasons I have stayed and added to my account.  I used to get a discount on my entire bill but Sprint changed it to only on my primary line.  Now they are taking away the annual upgrade on the primary line.  While I do appreciate my discount, the benefits are slowly dissappearing one by one.  Does Sprint believe that this won't eventually drive away customers to Verizon and the new Iphones?  Every time we upgrade annually you get a new two year contract from us.  Isn't that enough?

Lame

Journeyman

They will also be losing me as a customer effective at the end of my plan.  The letter they sent me is an insult to my intelligence, and should be to all of you too.  They say 'Congratulations you are in Sprint Premier' when they really meant 'Congratulations to us, we just revoked one of the perks you get for being within our crappy service range.'  Basically they took the money they would be giving you for the phone and pocketed it. 

What's next?  No more unlimited 3g/4g.  Rate hikes.  Phone price increases.  Decreased customer satisfaction.

I respect no one that renews their plan under these circumstances.  AT&T would have grandfathered us in.  My aunt still has unlimited internet with them at the same rates she did years ago.

Pathetic.  I wish they would have just sent me a letter saying SCREW YOU!!!

Journeyman

Agreed. My base plan is ~$69.99 for Everything Data. However, my phone bill is $98.00 a month. They should really scrap the "base plan" requirement.

Also, their proactive plan checking is just some call center employee who has been instructed to get all of the money out of me that they possibly can. That's not proactive customer service; it's SALES! Each and every single time I end up having to hang up on them because - no matter how nice I try to be - they won't take, "No, my plan is fine, I don't want anything added on or anything changed around and I don't need to buy the 20 services you're suggesting," for an answer (of course, I'm nicer over the phone). Ever. And if you don't answer, they just keep calling and calling and calling... and they never leave a message.

The only thing out of my Premier status that I've ever used was the early upgrade, and I was wanting to use it again to upgrade to the Evo Shift. Now that option is being taken away. Yeah, I know I sound whiney because they don't have to offer this service, but current customers with premier status shouldn't have the early upgrade option removed, especially when we're paying high-dollar phone bills.

Come on Sprint, throw the Evo owners a better bone here.

Journeyman

>>>What's next?  No more unlimited 3g/4g. >>>

It isn't unlimited.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/169908

KJ

Journeyman

Yeah, when I said infinite it was a misuse of the word.  There is always a catch when using that word when talking about a service provider. 

Misusing a word will always lead to problems such as the aforementioned article.  It's like saying, you have 400 minutes, but define 400 as 5, and then charging you a 395 minutes overage charge when you hit '400.'

Wizard

M229709 wrote:

>>>What's next?  No more unlimited 3g/4g. >>>

It isn't unlimited.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/169908

KJ

Not the subject of this thread; but for some reason this type of misinformation won't die.  Data accessed through a handset on the Sprint network is unlimited.  You linked a thread about a mobile broadband card plan issue (from well over a year ago), not a handset plan issue.

And even though the amount of data is, at least for now, unlimited, there are restrictions on how you can use that data...such as not operating a server, not tethering without paying for a tethering plan, not performing denial of service attacks, etc.

Back to the thread subject..."Silver Premier" is apparently an oxymoron, as there really is no appreciable benefit to that status.  A two-month speed-up of the upgrade discount, from 24 to 22 months, is almost worthless.  And many customers now won't even qualify for that.

Journeyman

I really can't complain about this issue because I have been with Sprint for over 10 years now, so my status will change to "Premier Gold," whoopee!

Sprint really should grandfather existing customers to the status that they are currently at, and make this change apply only to new customers.

Why should someone have to upgrade after just a year? In my opinion, if Sprint offered good quality phones and continued support for those devices, then I would expect my phone to be able to last at least the 2 years of my contract. The way it appeared to me with the early upgrade is that Sprint didn't offer much support for the phones and they became obsolete before a persons contract was up. Also, most customers want the latest and greatest device so Sprint sells more phones and gets you to sign a new contract. I have had phones in the past where Sprint offered no further support for the device, even though they repeatedly told me that updates were coming.

I'm not holding my breath that 2.3 Gingerbread will be coming to the EVO. I think that Sprint will roll out new phones that have it on it basically making the EVO obsolete if customers want the latest and greatest device.

Journeyman

I personally feel that my intelligence has been insulted by that letter saying how they are keenly trying to give us the best service possible by taking away our features...

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.