cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium data plan...required?

Journeyman

Premium data plan...required?

I have an Everything Data family plan with 5 phones...two of the members recently purchased the new HTC EVO phones.  At no point during their purchasing process was it mentioned by Sprint that there will be a required $10/month "Premium Data" charge attached to those lines.  First of all, what is "Premium Data?"  I assume it's the ability to use the 4G network, which is not available in my area (and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area...of all places, I would think that 4G would be available to such a major market).  Since I cannot use the features provided by this "Premium Data" package, why should I have to pay for it, and why was it never disclosed to me that it was a requirement for those types of phones?  I called customer service, and was told "well, you can just return the phones if you don't like it."  Thanks for giving me yet another reason to be dissatisfied with Sprint.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Premium data plan...required?

The $10 Premium Data charge is not for 4G.  Please see explanation for it at the bottom of this blog: http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2010/12/02/whats-there-to-know-about-iconic-phones-and-data-plans.

Either way, the reps should have mentioned the additional charge, there is no excuse for that.

Highlighted
Patron

ClaudiPo,

If you don't mind I would like to ask an additional question concerning the Premium Data charge.  I haven't seen where any ask already, hopefully I'm not duplicating a previous question!

Does the Premium Data charge cover the usage of the tethering capability?

V/R

Doug

IT Professional

Highlighted
Master

No, The premium data fee does not cover using your phone for tethering, In order to use it you need to subscribe to the Mobile Hotspot feature($29.99 p/m)

Highlighted
Patron

Well darn!  I was hoping you were going to say yes.  I understand though, the cost of 4G has to be recouped somehow.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I was on the phone with a Sprint Customer Service Rep, I was told that the charge is due to the number of Sprint users that incur charges because of their use of the data services and exceeding their plan limitations. These people where charged for the overages and complained enough. So Sprint decided to help the irresponsible people by Charging All its Customers with the Premium data fees. That seems reasonable.........NOT! Congrats Sprint on a record year of new customers and profits. I wonder why? Draw people in with the 4g advertising and promises of flash capable Epic 4g to only delay Froyo and charge Premium data for no more extra services that what I had 2 years ago. How about some Premium SERVICE.

Highlighted
Wizard

Froyo will be released OTA to Epic customers starting tomorrow 2/21 and should be downloadable no later than 2/24. Customers will become eligible for the upgrade across a 4-day period based on their status with the Google servers.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.