cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERO Premium - Important new info...

Wizard

IMPORTANT INFO:

For those of you who thought you had  a SERO plan but have been told by Sprint that your current plan is NOT  SERO and cannot be upgraded to SERO Premium, there is new information from Russ McGuire, Sprint VP...

Finally - A Solution

The employee accounts team has worked through all the  complexities for folks who once were SERO but mysteriously were changed  to non-SERO accounts with the same pricing and features.  It appears  that most folks who went through this switch were part of employee  discount plans that are incompatible with SERO, since SERO is so  low-priced that additional discounts aren’t supposed to be applied.

The employee accounts team has put in place a mechanism to quickly  verify if someone used to be SERO and were automatically switched to  non-SERO (in other words, don’t bother trying if you’ve never been SERO  or if your account was switched to Everything Plus so that you could get  an iconic device).  If you’re in this camp (automatically switched),  and you want to upgrade to SERO Premium, and you’re willing to give up  any discounts you have on your SERO line, then follow these steps:

• Email everythingreferral@sprint.com with your account details (e.g.  your account # or phone #) and the request to migrate to SERO Premium.
  • You’ll get an e-mail confirmation back when your account has been upgraded to SERO Premium
  • You can then call telesales, go to sprint.com, or go to a company-owned store to upgrade/buy an iconic device
  • (If you buy from telesales or the web, when the device arrives, you’ll call employee care to activate the device.)

Let me know if you have any problems.

Russ posted this at his personal blog...  http://mcguireslaw.com/2010/11/09/finally-a-solution/

Hope that helps some of you folks having problems!

Tom

Tags (2)
113 REPLIES 113
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: SERO Premium - Important new info...

Thanks for sharing this, Tom.  I've marked the post as featured in hopes of more SERO customers seeing it before it drowns among all the other threads.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When emailing a SERO Premium upgrade request, be aware that it will not take effect until the start of the next billing cycle, unless otherwise requested.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hi all,

i need help.

i have 2 lines both were on SERO for years.

last year, i wanted to try out the palm pre, so i changed one of the lines out of the SERO.

now, they got the premium plans, i emailed the SERO department, and they will not let me change the line back to SERO, nor will they swap my current SERO line to the premium SERO...

what can I do?

anyone has any idea what i should do and who should I contact?

Highlighted
Journeyman

APRIL0666:

Quoting Russ McGuire's post at the top:

(in other words, don’t bother trying if you’ve never been SERO or if your account was switched to Everything Plus so that you could get an iconic device)

The type in green applies to your situation.  "Don't bother trying" is vernacular for "Sucks to be you" in the business world, I guess.

Basically, the choice was two options when you upgraded:

1. Keep SERO at the risk of having your phone break down and either buying a used older device, paying for upgrades out of pocket ($250-500 a phone, assuming you're not trying to pick up an "iconic" device, which basically means all smartphones that are not running Windows Mobile 6.X), or when 4G reaches a broad availability being forced at gunpoint to upgrade your service in later years by a certain date or have your phone shut off for good. Mind you, 3G service isn't getting shut off tomorrow or in the next year or so, but beyond the next two years it's clearly not going to last the rest of the decade.**
  2. Upgrade, possibly get a free or heavily discounted new phone, but lose your SERO discounts and pay more per month over everyone else for relatively the same service.

After ditching SERO, you chose option #2 even if you weren't aware of what that meant.  You made the choice, and once you leave SERO, you can't go back.  No one will help you.  That was the whole idea: Sprint wanted customers to get off of SERO.  You've been had.  (I'm not wagging anything in your face here... the same thing happened to me: I wanted an upgrade, the sales rep said they won't help me if I don't change off of SERO... guess what I chose?)

If your discounts under Employee Plus sucks, talk to a Sprint Rep about corporate discounts if you work for a corporation... 30% off from my workplace beats the measly ~15% discount from EPRP.  Not all workplaces qualify, nor are all of them discounted that greatly, but you don't know if you never ask.  (Plus, if you quit/get terminated from work, the discount goes away.)

Besides, if it makes you feel any better bear in mind the last thing I said about Option One: SERO will not last forever.  Once 4G service is broad enough for nationwide coverage, people on 3G devices and SERO will have to upgrade to a current 4G plan or lose service, and I bet dollars to donuts that Sprint will not discount their service to non-Sprint employees that deeply ever again, regardless of who you know.  If you think people are complaining about Sprint now, wait until that day and read the boards... yeah.  The gravy train does end with a brick wall.

----------

**: Yes, I've read about SERO Premium.  I know that SERO Customers can upgrade to an Iconic device now.  I am referring to the choices available when April and I considered upgrades over six months ago: with the information I was given, this is what I went with.  And I'm a sucker for believing my own cellular sales reps for what they said.  Lesson learned.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I currently have touch pro 2 phone working on, as my account states "SERO F&F 500" paying $30 and get 20% off employee discount, now if i switch to sero premium would i lose my 20% discount, and pay extra $10 a month? So wh should i do that if everything is working good for me? Please let me know, i'm confused enough already.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Wizard

SERO customers only need to switch to a SERO Premium plan if they want to upgrade to an 'iconic' phone (most PDA/BB/Android/smartphones) or take advantage of Any Mobile, Anytime calling if they need more minutes than available with the Basic SERO plans.  If you're happy with your phones and what the plan offers, then you don't need to change a thing.

I'm not sure what the 20% discount is that you're referring to.  SERO customers do not get additional MRC (monthly recurring charge) discounts, e.g., through their employers.  If you're talking about the discount that you get by simply having a SERO plan, then you will continue to receive it as the SERO Premium plans are also heavily discounted in comparison to regular consumer data plans.

Let me know if this didn't answer your questions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

what if i change to SERO Premium and not change my phone from the Touch Pro 2 for now, would i still have to pay the $10 extra right away or only when i do switch over to an Android or BB phone?           

Highlighted
Wizard

You'd have to pay it even without an upgrade to an iconic phone.  The SERO Premium plan is simply a different plan than SERO Basic which happens to cost $10 more per month (this has nothing to do with the new $10 Premium Data add-on required for smartphones; SERO customers do not need to pay that).  If make a lot of calls to other cell phones and pay more than $10 in overage charges because you max out your bucket of anytime minutes, it'd be worth switching to SERO Premium, but if you stay within your minutes and don't care about a smartphone at this time, then I think it makes the most sense to stay on your SERO Basic for $30.

Highlighted
Wizard

Claudia, a fair number of legacy SERO, EPRP, and Sprint Advantage Club customers actually do have "employer discounts" applied to their MRC even though those plans do not allow additional disconts beyond the already fairly deep discounts the plans themselves offer.

Many of those date back to when many of Sprint's, uh, "remote" CSRs were poorly trained and supervised, and would do all sorts of odd things counter to the rules - even signing folks up to $0 MRC accounts if the customer new the proper SOC...

These days the level of training and quality of supervision appears to be higher, and it is much more difficult to slip something like that into the system.

It still means, though, that there are a lot of legacy "oddities" that shouldn't be there, and those customers become quite upset when told that they can no longer have an unlimited everything plan for $5 or whatever. (Yes, those existed, too.)

So, while the "discounted plans" are not allowed to have additional discounts, there are still a lot of them out there that do.

Take care,

Tom

baw_bee.gif "They killed Buzzy!" "You b_______!"

Highlighted
Wizard

Interesting, but I guess I'm not surprised.  I don't work with customers' accounts so I can only state the policies and rules that *should* be applied.  But thanks for the background, Tom, I think it's good for customers to know that the discounts they've been receiving are not a right but a priviledge that they cannot expect to continue when they make account changes.  I know it doesn't make people happy but it's either a new phone or a continued discount.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CaludiPo,

Can I upgrade my phone to the Touch Pro 2 without upgrading to SERO Premium? If I upgrade to SERO Premium 3 G I think I still have unlimited data, is that right? Honestly Ihave read any number of posts lists and comparison charts and I am having a hard time getting that to be clear. I know that if I want 4G service I will pay an extra $10 over the "standard" SERO Premium rate. But does that mean if I upgrade to something 3 g compatible I will have some sort of limitation on data?

Thanks and sorry if you have answered this a million times.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.