Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone without data plan?

SOLVED
92 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Smartphone without data plan?

What really sucks is paying an extra $30/month for 3 phones and not even having 3g in this area.Sprint network just blows

Journeyman

They actually told me goodbye. They know they have me over a barrel because I still haved 12 months left on my contract, after that it's asta lavesta baby!!!!!

Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

pickupthepieces wrote:

nostuff wrote:

i have heard it is posible to remove the sim card form your current phone (non data plan), purchice a smartphone of your choice form another seller, put the sim card in it and it will work. before i go and spend money and attempt this dose anyone have any experiance?

Yes, this is true. That's the beauty of a GSM carrier. My wife is currently using an unlocked T-mobile android smartphone on ATT with no data plan. They don't care when you switch your phone. I am absolutely baffled that Sprint requires a data plan with a non-contact smartphone. I had no beef with Sprint until this. Absolutely obsurd, I'm upset.

With at&t you do need a data plan and here is the link to see what I say is true http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-General-Care-and/Smart-phone-data/m-p/3032573#M185691

ATT do sell smarphones (ANDROID ~ $130) on their prepaid line even for 10c/min minutes plan. And I hope you can use those phones on reg contract plans with out data plan.

Also I believe if you use a non ATT smart phone (phonese from tmoble unlocked) you can get by with out data plan.

worth searching on the net to find what phones wont need data plan!

Highlighted

pickupthepieces wrote:

nostuff wrote:

i have heard it is posible to remove the sim card form your current phone (non data plan), purchice a smartphone of your choice form another seller, put the sim card in it and it will work. before i go and spend money and attempt this dose anyone have any experiance?

Yes, this is true. That's the beauty of a GSM carrier. My wife is currently using an unlocked T-mobile android smartphone on ATT with no data plan. They don't care when you switch your phone. I am absolutely baffled that Sprint requires a data plan with a non-contact smartphone. I had no beef with Sprint until this. Absolutely obsurd, I'm upset.

With at&t you do need a data plan and here is the link to see what I say is true http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-General-Care-and/Smart-phone-data/m-p/3032573#M185691

Journeyman

WOW- sounds like the conversation I just had with SPRINT CHAT.  There service has gone downhill and the phones and options are way over priced. Time for me an almost 15 yr customer to shop as well. SPRINT needs to get on the ball or they will be loosing customers left and right.

Journeyman

Sprint Definitely does not care about the customers as long as you pay your bill. I Joined sprint because of the unlimited data plan and they 1 year upgrade option. When it came time to get an upgrade after 1 year, sprint conveniently removed that option and so I was stuck with the phone for another year. On top of that, If I were to buy a new phone flat out, Sprint would add an additional $10/month for the same phone plan that I already had. The only good thing I have to say about Sprint is that their early termination penalty decreases by $10 after every month. I only had to pay $80 to cancel and that was the best $80 I've spent in a while. I couldn't be happier to no longer be a sprint customer.

Journeyman

nostuff wrote:

Journeyman

Journeyman

I agree, it is BS to require a  data plan if I have a Smart Phone.  Sprint does not understand that some  customers just want to use the WI FI feature in the phone when they are  sitting at Mc Donalds or at Home where it is free. 

A data phone  that is not being used on your system does not cost you (Sprint)  anything.  So do not use that excuse that data is expensive.  Which, by  the way, data is cheaper to service that analog messages.

I  checked, and T Mobile will allow you to have a smart phone and no data  plan.  The downside is they require you to purchase a phone, or bring  your own, to their service.  T Mobile also has a $ 49 (x2 lines)  promotion going on right now that I am considering.  Who cares if they  cap it at 2 gig a month, I dont use that much. 

This is where  Sprint is being short sighted and not customer enlightened.  I have 5  phone lines that will march with me as soon as my last two lines  contract expires.

Sprint... are you listening?

Wizard

You can't activate a smartphone on Verizon without a data plan peroid. Forced data plan was implemented  at the begining of 2009.