cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint $10 "Premium Data Fee". Why penalize everyone?

Journeyman

Sprint $10 "Premium Data Fee". Why penalize everyone?

Please read in its entirety, especially Sprint Employees.

There is a lot of irritation within the current Sprint customer population regarding the "Premium Data Fee" associated with certain devices. Adding to the fact that we (customers) are not happy, I came accross an article about another lawsuit against sprint, this time it is over this poorly concieved fee.

First off, consider the devices that this fee are associated with (EVO, Epic, Knight). These devices are said to be top of the line! With these phones, Sprint "expects" its users to use them CONSIDERABLY more than their previous phone. Hence the new fee. Do I have this correct??

Compare these devices to an extremely nice car. The last I checked, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus do not charge a premium fee for their top of the line cars, even though you may want to drive them more than a Kia! Once you BUY the car, no "Premium" fees are associated with the car (insurance is another story). Same should be thought with the phones from Sprint. Once you buy the phone, why charge a fee that is tied to the device?? This will guarantee that many who may want the phone will pass it by because $10 a month adds up to $240 by the end of the contract! Concerns over the customer "possibly" using more data (3G or 4G) should not be associated to the phone specifically. Rather, it makes more sense to create multiple Data plans - one that is capped at a generous level to replace the current "unlimited" plan, and an increased rate to be imposed if one is to surpass the cap.

In the illustration of the car, the nice top level car is like the new top level phones - when they are purchased, no other fee should be added. The fuel should be considered like the data - the more the device is used, the more the customer must pay. This is only fair!!

If this is implemented by Sprint, do you not agree that many Sprint customers will stay happy, loyal customers? Wouldn't more customers be drawn to buying higher-end phones? Ultimately, wouldn't more people feel comfortable buying devices and services from Sprint if there were no more fees that run across the board? Wouldn't sales pick up without the hessitation to agree to such an unfair commitment to pay an additional $240 regardless of actual data used??

If you are not willing to pay an extra $240 to have the phone that you want, call Sprint and tell them! http://consumerist.com/2007/02/sprint-ceos-phone-number-and-25-other-sprint-execs.html

I won't upgrade until this fee, and all frivolous charges come off!!

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint $10 "Premium Data Fee". Why penalize everyone?

I saw someone else relate this fee to buying a car, and its a great analogy! Sprint has a varying array of phones, from low-end to high-end. As a customer, why should we incur an extra "fee" just because we want to buy the nicer car. Any extra cost is paid when the phone is purchased, either outright or with a contract. Any "fee" that Sprint feels appropriate to ask should be tied to the plan itself. Just because a top of the line car has leather seats does NOT mean the driver will drive more. Some will. But it means a more enjoyable experience for most. If it goes beyond that and Sprint is worried about extreme data uses, why not create a capped data plan, then a TRUE unlimited data plan.

It has been said that the "premium data plan" is for the 8mp camera, 4.3 inch screen, and kickstand (EVO). There are cameras with 12mp and 15mp that don't incur an extra fee. Tablet computers with touchscreen are much bigger and provide an even better experience, yet does NOT incur an extra fee. Home internet does not charge an extra fee if you have a monstrosity gaming computer and stream World of Warcraft for 8 hours a day! But in reference to the home internet, they do have different plans to match the requirements of their customers.

If Sprint needs (NEEDS, not wants) to bring in more money to cover more expenses, they are going about it wrong. This could be handled so much better! Sad thing is, they are putting a noose around their own necks with this one. I don't care about paying a little more. I just want the charges to be upfront, and this is not upfront. Many people will be leaving Sprint if this doesn't change.

Highlighted
Journeyman

totally agree, a nice car  is driving the same old roads, problem is when we bought the new phone, the contract extended for two more years. Sprint should offer a plan with the premium services included.

Highlighted
Journeyman

does anyone remember when 3g became big? i remember being charged for 3g service when i didn't (and still DON'T) have the 3g service! i asked why i had to pay extra - it was due to the "better services" - even though i didn't have access to them.

that's why i didn't go for the higher end phone. yeah, i like the epic, but why add $10 more on my bill when i can't access the 4g (heck, can't even access the 3g).

Highlighted
Journeyman

They say its not tied to the 4G, but it says in the name, "premium DATA fee"! The IDIOT that came up with this idea needs beaten with his/her own shoes! They say it is to ALLOW you a "richer" data experience, but there is no option. It forces you to PAY for this "richer" data experience via the device regardless if you can take advantage of it or not! And Sprint, a Kickstand, Large Screen and faster Processor do not cost any more than any other phone, period. Why attribute an extra fee with the hardware??

Now, I used to like Sprint. I really did. I've been with Sprint quite a while, and they helped resolve some problems that I had been having (after calling many times). I have a good plan that includes data and 1500 minutes. I use very little data, just to check email a couple times a week when away from home, and rarely use 400 of my 1500 minutes (they are there just in case). This fee is not solely a problem because of how much it is ($240 by the end of the contract), but its about this knife that is in the backs of so many loyal customers that you would charge a B.S. fee to and not man-up and just say that its the easy and lazy way to make more money. That would be bad enough. But stop with the nonsense and charge the extra for the purpose that you expect there to be more expense on your end. If you expect higher data useage, then get your extra from the Data useage!

I contacted Sprint several weeks ago and spoke with a woman at corporate about tiered data plans. Since the current UNLIMITED data plan is not paying them enough, cap it at a generous level (generous because it is supposed to be UNLIMITED anyway) and create a truely "Unlimited" Data plan. At this point, wouldn't everyone be happy!?

If you agree, please contact Jerry Adriano - (913) 762-8080  jerry.adriano@sprint.com

or  Nicole Wunder nicole.wunder@sprint.com

Highlighted
Journeyman

i agree that there is no real basis for charging a premium data charge.  sprint needs to make all its data included in the unlimited data plans it now advertises.  i bought the epic 4g in september becuase i loved the phone.  there is only 3g here and no acess to 4g, but yet becuase i have the phone and 4g is available in 50 cities, i have to pay the extra 10 a month.  omaha is supposed to get 4g soon, but with the stories of its 4g partner clearwire in financial trouble, i dont know when they are going to upgrade.  is verizon or tmobile charging extranow that they have 4g devices, and are starting a 4g network. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

This fee is not for 4G, as most people attribute it to. At least not directly. They claim the fee is because the new phones that have the ability to do more will in fact cause its users to uncontrollably stream data until they go blind and hyperventilate! And appearantly the current "unlimited" data plan is not unlimited enough, or they have a cap in mind but do not want to say so.

Essentially, you are forced to purchase an unlimited data plan with a higher ceiling when you buy the new phones. The funny thing is, they called it a fee instead of incorporating the cost into a seperate plan and giving the customers the choice - capped data at 5gb or 10gb at the current price of the current unlimited, then charge $10 more for real unlimited. After all, we love fees!! How about tack on a couple nickels and dimes to that fee for a poetic sentiment! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jump ship. The only way Sprint will get the message that people don't want to pay for a service that they are not getting is if people stop paying. Go to TMobile, or ATT or Verizon. All the major carriers have 4G now, or very soon will. Yea Sprint may have been first, but guess what, they're not the fastest, or the most wide spread. Everybody's network is comparable now, no matter who you go with you will get similar service, with the exception of TMobile, their voice network is great, but their data is still pretty weak. They do, however, have the largest and fastest '4G' network, if you're in a metro area. When Sprint refused to waive the $10 fee and failed to show me what I was getting for the extra money, I left. There are tons of awesome Android phones on other carriers that will do as much or more than the Evo, Epic, or Shift.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is T-Mobile available in Omaha?  the extra $10 a phone makes Sprint pretty expensive... I have 4 phones on my plan... an extra $40 a month? on top of an already pricey plan?

I don't think so... I'm shopping around

Highlighted
Master

G0LFGUY wrote:

Is T-Mobile available in Omaha?  the extra $10 a phone makes Sprint pretty expensive... I have 4 phones on my plan... an extra $40 a month? on top of an already pricey plan?

I don't think so... I'm shopping around

The extra $10 only applies to phones you activate on 1/30 or after. If you already have a smartphone active you are grandfathered in without the add-on for that phone. If you switch to another smartphone after 1/30 then you will be required to pay the additional $10 charge. There are a couple of exceptions, but for the most part it is only when you are getting a replacement through a service store replacement. Activating your own smartphone a friend gives you would also require the $10 add-on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So if i bought the phone before 1/30 how come i'm being charged the $10 premium data fee?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Because Sprint only gave a small window of a week or 2 preceeding their deadline. If you just got the phone in the last two weeks, throw a fit. They respond a little better when you are about to go elsewhere. But, it doesn't work when you are bluffing.

This whole $10 fee is stupid! They feel its easier to take advantage of its customers by being lazy and charging more for the phone instead of actual data used.  Besides, the data plans before the $10 fee was supposed to be UNLIMITED. The new fee is because they feel that if you use a certain phone that you'll use more of your Unlimited Data. (I talked with someone from corporate and tried to convince them to change this to something that makes sense)

The only way they'll learn is if people start leaving to get service elsewhere. Just tell another carrier that you want to leave Sprint and they should give you a nice deal. Just shop around!! Thats what I've just decided to do!!

Edited by: MisterEmerson

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.