cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint customers unfairly treated for new phones

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just had a bad experience with getting a new phone through Sprint. My daughter got a low featured phone last year. I wanted to get her a better(4g) phone for her birthday. The phone was billed at $400. As an existing customer I would only get a $75 rebate and have to sign a new two year contract. If I was a brand new customer I would get a $300 rebate and still only sign a two year contract. Is this a great way to keep customer loyalty? Sprint has encouraged me to look at all other carriers before going back to Sprint instead of locking me in for additional years.

I understand the use of a two year plan to recover phone costs but if I wanted to upgrade before the end of my two years there should be resonable fee to cover the remaining period of the plan based on the cost of the old phone especially when I am staying with Sprint for another two years. I would feel like a complete idiot to have paid $225 more for being a existing loyal customer. Right now my plans are to look at other carriers before even considering going back to Sprint.

Tags (2)
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint customers unfairly treated for new phones

I understand how you feel.  Know that you can purchase a phone from somewhere else and still activate it onto your account without renewing your contract.  The EVO 4G can be found for way cheaper prices (both used and new) from sources other than Sprint.  Just be aware of what a bad ESN is.

I like to purchase new, sealed phones to be safe.

Highlighted
Master

noland8688 wrote:

I just had a bad experience with getting a new phone through Sprint. My daughter got a low featured phone last year. I wanted to get her a better(4g) phone for her birthday. The phone was billed at $400. As an existing customer I would only get a $75 rebate and have to sign a new two year contract. If I was a brand new customer I would get a $300 rebate and still only sign a two year contract. Is this a great way to keep customer loyalty? Sprint has encouraged me to look at all other carriers before going back to Sprint instead of locking me in for additional years.

I understand the use of a two year plan to recover phone costs but if I wanted to upgrade before the end of my two years there should be resonable fee to cover the remaining period of the plan based on the cost of the old phone especially when I am staying with Sprint for another two years. I would feel like a complete idiot to have paid $225 more for being a existing loyal customer. Right now my plans are to look at other carriers before even considering going back to Sprint.

At one year you get the $75 half upgrade price. At 22 months, just before 2 years, you get the full upgrade price. That full upgrade is the same as the new customer pricing. All national carriers work on 2 year upgrade cycles for the full discounting.

Journeyman

I agree it is unfair even the 150 is also if you have been a customer for years and a brand new customer would get a $300  rebate and still only sign a two year. they could careless about We that have been loyal

Highlighted
Journeyman

That full upgrade is the same as the new customer pricing.

[....]

I am looking to update my LG Rumor Touch for an HTC Arrive. If I upgrade I get $150 off the price. If I cancel my account and open a new account I get $250 off the price. W T F??!!

Check the prices for yourself. Sprint is treating new customers like gold, and existing customers like a liability. Well if they don't want my repeat business, there are other carriers who will.

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed language

Highlighted
Wizard

New or existing customer never have or never will get 200.00, 300.00, 350.00, 400.00, etc. instant rebate when getting a new device. It has always been 75.00 off after first year or 15.00 off once you have reach 2 year agreement. just like a new customer would get. There have been some case in which a price is set and there might be 200.00 instant off or whatever the amount is instant savings, but again an existing customer would get that just like a new customer would get after the 2 years is up. I hope this better helps you understand the upgrade policy.

Highlighted
Master

RIPPERJACK, Your misunderstanding the upgrade discount, When a customer is eligible for the full upgrade they get $150 OR new customer pricing. It's ALWAYS more then just the $150 off, We also get the instant savings, web specials, mail in rebates, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you please  provide an example using current price from sprint's website on an upgrade offered after month 22.  This will help me and  others since I am confused as well. TIA.

Highlighted
Wizard

Here is an example from sprint.com. This is on the HTC EVO 4G. new customers can get this device for 99.99. Exsiting customer can get this price after 2 years, then they can get new customer pricing. Just like a new customer, the new customer will get this price again once they reach 2 years.

Regular price

$449.99

Instant Savings

- $300.00

Mail–in Rebate via Reward Card

- $50.00

Your price:

$99.99

Highlighted
Journeyman

no, after 2 years, existing customers only get $175 off of a new phone, not the $300 in instant savings a new customer would get.

as it stands, its cheaper for me to cancel my service, and have my wife sign up to get new phones.

Highlighted
Wizard

Unfortunately, the website is still broken so I can't check upgrade pricing - I still get a 404 error. Fix the damn site already!

Highlighted
Master

And this is how it will look for an existing customer who is eligible for the full upgrade discount.

HTC EVO™ 4G
Regular price

$449.99

Upgrade Discount

- $150.00

Instant Savings

- $150.00

Mail–in Rebate via Reward Card

- $50.00

Your price:

$99.99

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.