cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint explaining the smartphone charge

146 REPLIES
Journeyman

I have been with sprint since november 2009, and I was not so happy but well, paying $150 per month for 2 phones, is a lot. Now with this $10 I will not stay here. This is too much, looks like we are living in a world where we just have to accept and do what they tell you, Pay $10 more now!!!....you have no choice.

I am moving to another carrier as son as my contract it's done, and I am tweeting this all over the world.

Journeyman

Dude, in many places they are dead last for ACTUAL 3G speed, as well.  Not to mention the crazy-limited 4G availability.

I am a 10 year customer of Sprint (current family plan has 4 phones - 3 smartphones). When I purchased 2 Heros, each additional line went to 19.99 (even the non-smartphone) which I accepted. I am past due for my upgrade and was planning on upgrading to the next EVO (don't care about the 3D but liked the other features/processor, etc). I know about the additional $10 charge when I activate future smartphones (although anyone with a smartphone had to move to the more expensive plan to begin with so isn't that already an additional $10 charge/phone??) and was willing to pay it but......now after reading the 4G test done by PC World I am not so sure. Sprint was "last" for speed! I am not a Sprint basher - I have had some poor Sprint customer service but I think you can run into that at any business from time to time. The issues have always been corrected. I have had decent coverage (both phone and data). But, I am very hesitant to pay 199.99 for a new phone plus an additional $10/mth to use it when the download/upload speed is so poor.

So, I will probably be waiting longer to upgrade (maybe will be switching to an "old fashion" cell phone and getting rid of the smartphone(s)). I need to see if Sprint is going to improve their network speed before I spend any additional money. Not threatening to terminate my contract but not purposely extending it for another 2 years either.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge

I agree with you, but it will never happen. I feel the same way about Sports and entertainment. Our cable and sattelite bills constantly go up, as does the money that the athletes and entertainers makes. Try taking the family to a baseball or football game, and you have  to take a second mortgage out to go. But the stadiums remain packed and a good chunk of your cable bill is for sports programing. For some reason though, we all still pay.

In the end with the cell phone, we have all become to reliant on them, and more people are acutally ditching their landlines for cell phones.

Journeyman

Bottom line when it's all said & done all these companies are robbing us blind without a gun!!  The only real way to fix it all is to say we're all returning to HOME PHONES and refuse to pay these outlandish charges and see what they do then.  A company can only do this when WE (our own greed and demands) allow them to. Why should we have to beg a company about how we spend our money?  LETS ALL JUST STOP!!!  For those that have contracts what are they going to do sue everybody across the nation that has Sprint?  That would cost them so much money to go after everyone (& with nobody paying) they would go bankrupt.  They think they are taking a bath on the data usage.  When I spend my money somewhere and don't feel I'm treated right I don't shop there anymore, but with something like this it takes more than one person to make an affect.  When more of us get tired of this WE ALL hold the real power to do something about it.  If all we are going to do is moan and complain and beg them for relief then things will continue to get worse.  It is us who seemingly drives this sort of greed from these companies by acting like we cannot do without having access to television on a phone, or radio, navigation, football, etc.  Yes these companies are blood sucking leeches, but we have to stop them, with the power we have OUR MONEY!!!

Journeyman

There is nothing to explain.

1. I am in the middle of my Sprint Contract.

2. I can no longer use Sprint, as I have, under the contract.

3. I can no longer swap ESN numbers to change phones without incuring a charge.

4. Sprint will not let me out of my contract even though, they are charging me for a service I used to get for free UNDER that very same contract.

5. Any questions? feel free to ask.

Journeyman

Sprint keeps proclaiming to industry analysts that almost all of their customers will be smartphone customers,  I doubt that with this rate hike.

Journeyman

From where I'm coming from this makes no sense.  I'm a 10 year customer.  I have a LG rumor touch.  I pay $55/month for talk/text/data, plus I got 15% discount from my employer which they then think they are so smart only give it if they lock me for an extended 2 year contract.  I agreed because I could still upgrade in May to a new phone so I thought.  Well, now they announce that I guess I blew it and if I upgrade to an Android phone now, it's $10/month more.  So, now Sprint has forced me to keep this phone or an equivalent phone for 2 years while I doubt they make anything off me considering the 15% discount.  If I could get a 3G android phone for $69.99/month, they would probably make more money off of me than they are now.  Instead, Sprint has locked in 2 years of loses or maybe minimal gains from me.  I don't get it.

Journeyman

It really doesn't seem very fair. They hooked us on their simply everything advertising, and now they are simply screwing us. I guess I could understand it if they had only applied the fee for new customers, and upgrades on phones for exsitsting customers, but when I got my phone, I signed a 2 year contract. Now if I want to activate an old smart phone, I have to pay an extra $10???? I already paid my dues on that phone by signing the damn contract.

For those of you who are defending Sprint, I do understand some of your arguments. The others are more expensive, and cap the data etc....The one thing that I must say though is Sprints network and coverage here in the Northeast anyway, doesn't hold a candle to Verizon or AT&T. That was kind of a tradeoff with Sprint for us. They were much cheaper, but coverage isn't nearly as good. Now that they are charging the prices that they are, I'd like to see coverage improve, but I doubt that it will. With Verizon getting the IPhone, this could turn out to be a pretty bad move on Sprints part. I know I will be checking out the other carriers.

Journeyman

I currently have an unlimited data plan and a Intrepid Smart Phone. I just purchased a Palm Pre for the fun of swapping my Intrepid. I watned to try the Palm Pre out for the fun of it. When I went to swap the Intrepid phone out for the Palm Pre I was rudely informed that if I wanted to swap phones I will be subject to a $10 a MONTH surcharge. Even though I already pay for the servies and I am not adding any services.

Now let me ask this of you. Does Sprint really think this action they are imposing on paying subscribers with a vaild contract, ethical?

I think not and I have to honestly say I was ALWAYS such as strong advocate of Sprint. I guess they dont need me anymore.