cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint forcing veteran customers into their Everything plans

Journeyman

Sprint forcing veteran customers into their Everything plans

If you are a long-term customer and have a really old and awesome priced plan/setup- you need to read this post.

I called in the other day to find out about upgrading to a 4G phone.  The rep looked at my account and told me that all new 4G phones will require me to switch to from my existing plan to one of their Everything Plans, something I wouldn't ever consider doing.  So then I asked, "what if I want one of the other new smartphones out right now?" and the rep told me "all new smartphones available require you to change to an Everything plan." 

Apparently, in an effort to boost revenue and take full advantage of the 4G change-over, Sprint is attempting to force everyone who wants to upgrade into a new smartphone, including veteran customers with older plans, into one of these stupid new and ridiculously over-priced plans. Well, I have an awesome old school plan and Sprint will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.  Furthermore, not only is what Sprint is trying to do shady as all get out, it might even be illegal. I am going to call my state attorney general tomorrow and ask about this.  If this really interests you- search the content of other threads for "vertical tying."  Similar to bait-and switch- it violates consumer rights and quite possibly is illegal via the Consumer Rights Act.  Ahhh Sprint, always up to no good.

This new stunt they are pulling is absolutely ridiculous.  The numbers speak for themselves.  Take my situation for instance.  My plan is as follows:

Monthly charge for my service plan $49.99

Plan Includes
  • ·                              $49.99 Sprint Free & Clear Plan
  • ·                              Voicemail
  • ·                              All Minutes Included Long Distance
  • ·                              1500 Anytime Minutes
  • ·                              Unlimited Night And Weekend Minutes
  • ·                              Nights: M-Th 9Pm-7Am Wknd: F 9Pm-M 7Am
  • ·                              Unlimited Pcs To Pcs Calling
  • ·                              Caller Id, Call Waiting
  • ·                              Three-Way Calling

Plan add-ons

·                              PRO Pack

$30.00

·                              300 Anytime Mintues

$0.00

·                              All Min Include Long Distance

$0.00

·                              Unlimited Mobile to Mobile

$0.00

·                              Unlimited Night & Wknd Min 9pm

$0.00

·                              Unlimited Night & Wknd Min 7pm

$0.00

·                              Phone As Modem Add-On

$15.00

I pay $50 a month for 1800 minutes and $30 for data.  So, I get 1800 anytime minutes and "unlimited everything" else for $80 a month total.  The only single-line Everything plan Sprint has now doesn't even come close- 900 anytime minutes, unlimited data- for $89,99!  "So let me get this straight," I asked the Sprint rep, "you want to take half my minutes, a full 900 less than I have now, AND charge me $10 more a month?"

And the rep had nothin'.

Even worse, you can't even keep your phone-as-modem option- they kill that too.  So now, if I want to tether, I have to use their spiffy new "mobile-hotspot" service.......at $30 a pop no less, double what I am paying now.

And to add insult to injury, the worst part about this is that I have been a loyal Sprint customer for 11 years now- never had another cell phone provider.  It has taken me that long to build up this great plan I have.  Now, not only does Sprint want to take everything away from me I have earned by being a loyal customer, they want to reward my loyalty by giving me this new cra*p plan than any Joe-schmo who walks in off the street gets.  I am an veteran customer whose given you 11 years of loyal business and you are going to treat me the same as someone who hasn't given you a penny??? Amazing…truly amazing.

You see, this is why Sprint bleeds customers by the millions, each year-  the morons at the top simply do not understand the problem.  Like, everyone talks about how horrible Sprint's customer service is.  So, the big-wigs take that to mean that the reps on the phones aren't being nice to customers.  Have you ever talked to the reps on the phones?  They are so overly nice and overly thorough, it makes me sick some times.  And they are pushed to be that way, because Sprint thinks that's what the problem is.

The real "customer service" problem is that the clueless big-wigs at the top say "hey, let's institute this great new policy" and then implement these new policies, (like this one here in the post) which totally scr*ew over and naturally pi*ss off their customers....who then bail for another carrier.  What makes this new policy the most moronic yet by Sprint, is that the people most affected by it, and hence who Sprint realistically is targeting, are their customers with significantly older plans, as in....YOUR MOST VETERAN AND LOYAL CUSTOMERS.  Who on Earth would do such a thing as a conscious business move?  If Sprint were really smart (which they demonstrate they obviously are not) they would fire their whole idiot board, as not only do they not understand Sprint's fundamental problems, but blatantly add to them with asinine policies like this.  Ahhh Sprint, I love you and I hate you....

Message was edited by: AddamsonFlint

Message was edited by: AddamsonFlint

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Sprint forcing veteran customers into their Everything plans

Also keep in mind that the current Everything Data plans not only have unlimited mobile calling to Sprint customers as your currentp lan; they have unlimited calling to any mobile phone in the country, regardless of carrier. So the minutes are primarily just landline minutes.

So if you mostly call mobile phones the 450 Everything Data plan for $69.99 may work instead of the 900. In addition the 300 minute add-on you have probably would be able to stay there as well.

So say you went with an EVO on the Everything Data 450 you would be at $79.99/mo including the Premium Data add-on. That is the same price you have now for similar capabilities and a much more advanced device that can do more, faster. The only difference would be that you would lose Phone As Modem. The Mobile Hotspot is available for the EVO and Epic for $29.99 instead, unlike the PAM add=on however which is limited to 5GB of usage, the mobile hotpot add-on is unlimited on both 3G and 4G.

Don't even start talking about what other carriers charge for similar plans. AT&T now has tiered data pricing with no unlimited options at all anymore. Sprint's current plans are the best value when comparing to other providers. You can take a look at the plan comparison page at www.bit.ly/sprintplans I have made for the Community here. It is not official, but gives a general overview of Sprint's current plans and comparisons to similar plans from competitors.

Journeyman

I know just how you feel,  I've been with Sprint for at least 14 years.

I have a great plan,  no reason to change it.   I never come anywhere close to using up my minutes,  and only read my email on my phone and some light surfing once in awhile. 

I currently have a Mogul,  this phone has been terrible since the day I bought it.   I really wanted to upgrade, and was looking forward to the Epic,   I would just pay outright for the phone, but I can't even do that!   I have to upgrade my plan to one that cost an extra 30 or so a month.   For what?  I can't get 4G in my area. 

Plus now I'm hearing that SERO customers will be able to upgrade thier phones and only pay $10 more a month starting Oct1.   But nobody else can do this?  Why is that?   So a SERO customer that has only been with Sprint for a couple years,   means more to you than a customer who has been with you for 14?

Sprint makes no sense at all,  and seems to go out of their way to just push their customers a way.   I just don't get it.

Journeyman

Sprint leadership has made it blatantly clear that their legacy customers are not valued. Sad indeed.

Journeyman

I'd suggest if you are going to call your state representative you ask them to tell you why the carterphone law doesn't apply to cell phones.   Back when Ma'Bell controlled everything they forced you to buy Ma' Bell phones.   The government said this was illegal (which is what sprint does by locking phones).   Essentially any compatible should be allowed to be used on any phone system without fees or any other restrictions.   That way you should be able to use the EVO which is 3G compatible on your current plan.   You should be able to use any Verizon phone you want on your SPrint account as well so if you want a DROID you should be allowed to use it with your current plan.

Journeyman

Except on other carriers you can actually choose what features you want. Seriously, why would anyone even want your craptastic navigation? Bing AND Google Maps both have voice-guided navigation now and they're not stuck in 2003 with the graphics. Sprint TV? Don't make me laugh. Useless garbage. $10 fee you can't explain without a lawsuit being filed? You betcha. 6 Megabit cap on "4G" phones? WOW, well, T-Mobile and AT&T's HSPA+ give you 7.2 Mbps. International roaming? Gotta buy another phone.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.