cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super bummed out at Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been a loyal Sprint customer for over 10 years and never had any reasons to want to switch cell providers until now. I wanted to upgrade my Blackberry since my current phone is getting a bit beat up. At the Sprint store, the clerk informed us that there would be an additional mandatory $10 charge per phone per month. I was baffled by this, since I was not changing my service and not changing the phone: I was looking at getting another Blackberry, quite possible the same model. While I understand that smartphones are placing greater demand on the network and that costs are increasing, this "mandatory charge" feels like Sprint is trying to pull a fast one on consumer. It looks disingenuous when you advertise a price that is untrue. Bottom line, my $129/month service is more like $149 if you add the two $10 charges (one for each phone). Why do you do this? I used to like you guys and I always felt I got a fair deal. I don't mind paying the extra cost, but I refuse to do it when you guys are so sneaky about it. Please, I just want to know UP FRONT how much my phone bill is going to be.

Needless to say, I left the store without buying another phone. I plan on holding on to my old Blackberry as long as possible and then likely switch carriers (for the first time ever!)

24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

Sounds wrong.  I was under the impression that the $10/mo fee was for 4G enabled phones, whether you had the coverage or not.    

Wizard

Effective 1/31/2011 the charge was set to occur on all smart phones due to the excessive amounts of data they typically use!

Journeyman

That's besides the point. As I mentioned, i don't mind paying more. I do mind that way in which Sprint pretends their rates are one thing, when if fact, they are not. It's sneaky. It's not transparent and it's wrong.

Wizard

The unlimited plans were created 2-3 years before the $10 Premium Data charge was introduced.  Having all the charges in one plan would require Sprint to (1) double all the data plans (which is a lot because product codes in the system vary by network, device capability, etc.), (2) maintain all these plans (i.e., making new products and promotions compatible with them which amounts to a lot of data management), and (3) move subscriptions to a different plan when they upgrade to a different smartphone which might have other negative implications.  I can see your point about your plan saying it covers unlimited data when there is an extra data charge, but creating new plans is simply not operationally feasible.  The cost for doing that (which is substantial) would have to be obtained somehow, which ultimately would probably just come out of customers' wallets because there is no ROI associated with such an investment.  Just my personal opinion.

Journeyman

All fine and good, however if things are really as you stated, why is the $10 in itsy bitsy teeny tiny print - under the "i hope they don't notice it" category? Sprint is all about making bills easy, and simple and knowing what you are going to be charged - at least that is what the CEO dude says in the commercials. That is why I take such issue with this dumb charge. Just put a large freaking +10 bucks next to the humongous price comparison chart displayed at all Sprint stores and I'm happy. Just don't do it it the faint gray small print at the bottom.

Wizard

7347175788 wrote:

All fine and good, however if things are really as you stated, why is the $10 in itsy bitsy teeny tiny print - under the "i hope they don't notice it" category? Sprint is all about making bills easy, and simple and knowing what you are going to be charged - at least that is what the CEO dude says in the commercials. That is why I take such issue with this dumb charge. Just put a large freaking +10 bucks next to the humongous price comparison chart displayed at all Sprint stores and I'm happy. Just don't do it it the faint gray small print at the bottom.

Hi, I am sorry that your aren't too happy with the $10 Premium Data Add-on charge. The $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is necessary on smartphones (Sprint smartphones currently are: Android, BlackBerry, Palm, Instinct and Windows Mobile phones) because these devices on average use 10x more data than an average feature phone. Even with this charge, Sprint customers still enjoy the best value in wireless. Rather than imposing limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint has extended its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all Smartphone activations. This is not a charge for 4G service. If you would like an unlimited data plan, for a lower rate, and avoid this charge, you may want to check out some of our feature phones (non data devices aka PDAS/SMARTPHONES) which do not require the $10 Premium Data add-on charge.

Thank you for your business,

----George

Journeyman

but ain't that what unlimited data plans are for?  i mean do sprint really think were that naive that we would not know the difference?

Master

Just like a land line will give you unlimited calling everything is based on what the average users does   That is the biggest reason that there are residential and business lines of service.  Both are unlimited  but a business line is used on average a whole lot more that the residential line.  The key here is on average.    So based on the way devices are used on average  The Smart phones use about 10x more data than a feature phone.   So we added the premium data charge to cover the increase in use this type of phone has. 

Journeyman

I have the unlimited data plan also and was going to upgrade my phones and they told me the same 10.00 per phone when I already have unlimited famil data plan. I refused to pay extra and backed out. I will just switch carriers later on after beeing along time sprint customer. I think they keep this up they will lose alot of us!

Master

Including the data charge, Sprint plans are less expensive AND you get unlimited data on smartphones.  The other two carriers don't even come close.  Just my personal opinion.-

-John

Journeyman

T-Mobile is cheaper and Sprint are some backstabbing change everything on you scammers. If u sign a contract for one price and then add and change fees that make your price different in my book thats a change in contract because i no longer pay the agreed upon price!. then you entice people to sign with certain gimmicks then change that too and keep changing till the contract and company no longer look like what you had!....completely disappointed in sprint!!!!!!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.