cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of sprint unlimited data, How much is to much?

Journeyman

The end of sprint unlimited data, How much is to much?

Today I received a call from Sprint and was told that I was in violation of Sprints TOS for using to much data and that Sprint no longer provided unlimited data.

I called back as soon as I had an opportunity and was told that I was using to much of my unlimited data. A few weeks ago I called Sprint and told them I was having issues with my data connection that I was getting LOS when viewing videos or downloading game data two of said games still unplayable since I cannot finish a download without it getting dropped and then I have to reattempts. I was offered a refund of my Premium data service and I was told that a tower issue was causing said issue and I was okay with that but still having said issues as of today. I told the rep today about this issue and she stated that I was still in violation and that the average user only uses around 2-5 gig of data per month I explained that I'm not an average user and that I am a heavy user and if I planned on using only 5 gig I would have gone with a service that offered said plan but since I know I will use a lot more then that I decided to go with Sprints unlimited plan.

I watch my favorite shows some almost a season at a time, I will listen to my favorite radio broadcast for hours at a time, I will use my phone to download files to my SD card, since I'm on the road a lot but not roaming I use my phone to do this stuff on a near daily basis. but yet this activity to sprint is against the TOS my data for Feb was 420587 Kilobytes,Mar was 12614302 Kilobytes, Apr was 81161299 Kilobytes. so I asked the rep how much unlimited data was allowed before sprint decided it was to much and she could not give me an answer

What I want to know is what can I really do with my phone or how much unlimited data am I really allowed to use?

Tags (1)
36 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: The end of sprint unlimited data, How much is to much?

I would think you would be safe with anything under 5 GB's.  Overthat you risk Sprint taking a harder look at your usage.  Mostly because people illegally tethering unauthorized devices and basically steal bandwidth from the company and other customers.

Also make sure that Sprint is not reffering to you using to much roaming data.  You are only allowed 300MB's a month of data when roaming.  Roaming is not "unlimited".

Worst case scenario is Sprint will drop you ETF free.  You then sale your phone and go with another provider.  But obviously unless you go prepaid or Tmobile you will be paying alot for that kind of data usage with another provider.  Maybe invest in wifi and use that to help you ease your data usage from the network.

Wizard

Almost 80 GB of data in one month?! Yeah, I would say that violates your TOS.

C'mon, admit it. You are tethering your phone. 

ryanf2012 wrote:

Today I received a call from Sprint and was told that I was in violation of Sprints TOS for using to much data .....

...Apr was 81161299 Kilobytes.

Journeyman

GeekOfTexas wrote:

Almost 80 GB of data in one month?! Yeah, I would say that violates your TOS.

C'mon, admit it. You are tethering your phone.

LOL.  I didnt catch that.  When I glanced at it, it looked like 8GB's.  Yeah.  At 80GB's I would say definite tethering going on there.  Although it is "unlimited" it has to be to a certain point.  If you are using that kind of data you simply are no longer a profitable customer for Sprint.  I'm surprised they even gave you a warning.

Master

There are fair use restrictions.   Has how you used data changed in the last 3 months   it  went  from 420 mb to 12 GB  77 GB that is an increase in data in one month of about of  11.5 GB and the next month and increase of 65 GB.  The highest I have ever seen was a customer who use  130G in month on 4g with 8 devices connected to a hotspot.    The real red flag is how much it went up over a two month period.  Was this on a  phone or a connection device?  If on a phone was this using the mobile hotspot function. That service has been limited to 5GB for several months.

Journeyman

There's unlimited and there's unreasonable. If you're using your phone to tether, for example, then you will either be paying a boatload more or will have to carefully skirt the people watching your data usage. And if you're torrenting at the same time, then you might very well be using an unreasonable amount of data

It's not that hard to go over 5GB of data though, kids. I can do it at a 256kbps throttle, just looking at pictures and little YouTube clips.   

Journeyman

Sprint should consider using a word other than "Unlimited" to describe their data plans.  People see the word Unlimited and they take it at face value:

Definition of UNLIMITED

1: lacking any controls : unrestricted <unlimited access>

2: boundless, infinite <unlimited possibilities>

3: not bounded by exceptions : undefined <the unlimited and unconditional surrender of the enemy — Sir Winston Churchill>

Wizard

And customers should not abuse "unlimited" by tethering their computer.

Nobody uses that kind of data for just the phone.

Sprint does not limit the phone data usage. Certain add-ons like Mobile Hotspot have a separate data "bucket" they pull from when being used, but any data used by the phone itself is still unlimited. We do not throttle customers who go over a certain amount of data (T-Mobile) or charge overages for going over a certain amount (Verizon, AT&T) on our network.

Sprint's Terms of Service have a fair-use clause in them, but it is not strictly enforced unless a user is causing an issue on the network, I don't know if this has ever happened.

5GB is not necessarily a lot if you are streaming video and music on a daily basis. Those who use a lot of data (for example using ~25+ GB) are the ones who are monitored much more closely to make sure they are not abusing the system by tethering without a corresponding plan, attaching a device to large frame network relay, etc. If abuse is found on the network then actions are taken.

Journeyman

Sorry about the lack of response since I dont want to use much more of my unlimited data plan. My phone is not teathered, I do use my phone to watch movies and tv shows on sites like tvplus  infact during that 80 gig month I watch all episodes of game of thrones and a few other series. I also used my phone to download hi res textures,hdr and raw images, application updates, the current driver for my wacom and drivers from nvidia amongst other things so yes I used my phone to download lots of stuff to my sd card  but I was not aware that was against the tos

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.