cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of sprint unlimited data, How much is to much?

36 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: The end of sprint unlimited data, How much is to much?

For everyone saying he is tethering you are what Sprint would call an "average user."  Based on the description of what he is doing; streaming movies in HD (streaming in HD usually requires 3-5mbps). There's the possibility of mirroring it from his phone to a T.V.  That can easily accrue over 50+gb of data.  Technically he is still using the data on his phone, but mirroring to a T.V. (I do this).  Streaming an entire season in HD..just do the math.. 55 minutes per episode, 10 episodes per season, at 3-5 mpbs.  Keep in mind, if your phone does HDMI out then it's a feature that Sprint advertises and supports and even sells the adapter for.  Now if you ask me I don't think he is doing anything except fully utilizing the data that he is paying for. It is ludacris that everyone seems to think the consumer is the one at fault.  DO some RESEARCH! Cell phone carriers need to have some regulation.  They are making a 1000% profit at minimum per subscriber...there is a sh*t ton of spectrum that isn't being utilized...blah i can go on all day. Just read up on this and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I average 20gb per month, my gf averages 10 gb per month, my dad averages 2 gb per month, and my mom averages 500mb per month. 

BETURBIPPY wrote:

We just got a letter stating that one of the phones on our account (we have four) has violated the terms and conditions by going over the data limit. I have no idea why one phone is roaming and the other three are not and we are all in the same house. What could cause this? We have shut the data off on that phone, but it is very annoying to not be able to use something that we are paying for. We can be sitting side by side, and two of these phones are the same type of phone, and only the one is roaming. How to fix this?

Different models have different antenna configurations and will have different receive/transmit powers. In addition there are a number of Network-side factors that could result in one phone roaming while others next to it have a native signal. These differences would normally be transparent and small enough that would would never notive. The antenna differences could make a difference if you are already in a low signal area.

That being said, if you have two phones that are the same model next to each other and one is consistently roaming while the other is not (I don't mean going in/out of roaming, I mean consistently staying on roaming all of the time) there could be an issue with the antenna in the device itself. A Service and Repair store should have the testing machine and isolation box to check the antenna in the phone itself and ensure that it is operating as designed. The test simulates a good and low signal environment, and transfers between multiple towers on a variety of frequencies to check the antenna in the device itself.

If you have already performed software, PRL and profile updates on the device, I would try updating them again over a WiFi connection if you can. This would take the phone's antenna out of the equation for any possible corruption resulting from a Network update being done using the CDMA antenna.

I am a Service and Repair Technician in a corporate store. I do not have any access to accounts or personal information through the Community.

Journeyman

I have to agree with everyone else.. sounds like tethering. I have 3 phones on the unlimited family data. Since my company got rid of their wireless connection I am on my cellular data about 70 hrs a week on avg. About 10 hours of that is streaming music or my favorite shows off NetFlix. My daughter is on her phone constantly using celluar data to stream anime shows and her music... I would say she easily averages 70 hours on her own.

And yet all 3 of our phones still only used 2681903 of data last month... almost 10000000 less than you are using on one phone????

Journeyman

Yes, I tried that after reading up on it some. I tried turning it off and then on again too, in case it needed to be reset. We will see!

Wizard

Have you tried the basic of resetting, update prl, and update the profile on the phone that roaming?

Journeyman

We just got a letter stating that one of the phones on our account (we have four) has violated the terms and conditions by going over the data limit. I have no idea why one phone is roaming and the other three are not and we are all in the same house. What could cause this? We have shut the data off on that phone, but it is very annoying to not be able to use something that we are paying for. We can be sitting side by side, and two of these phones are the same type of phone, and only the one is roaming. How to fix this?

Journeyman

Glad you pointed out what I just finished explaining to a Sprint phone rep. 'That Sprint could not track The two seperate data usages before'. Now that they can, they are billing....which is truly unfair to those of who have enjoyed unlimited data since the Iphone4s release (b/c of Sprint lacking capability)....so we have had it all these months and

Sprint hasn't gone broke yet. So would it kill them to let those of us who had it unlimited keep it; and impose fees on new users? Do you think it is a good customer experience to have to completely switch usage behavior thats has become normal for us (from fear of going over)? The phone is unlimited but the hot spot has to be limited...it's the same company, they should be the same if I am paying for "Unlimited". Sprint is turning very Greedy. I have been with Sprint for 14 years and I am about to pull the plug...Tmobile just annouced "Unlimited Hotspot $39.99".

Journeyman

I visited a friends lake house for 4 days last month in a roaming area and used 650 mb streaming movies because there was no cable or Internet there.  Apparently the limit for roaming is 300mb per month.  The fact that you didn't realize this proves my point.  My previous bills also say unlimited where yours does but it is simply not the case.  I have been dropped as a customer effective September 12 because of my "abuse". 

Regards -Mike

Journeyman

my Data Roaming is unlimited....why isn't yours? This is the way it looks on my account/bill:

Sprint 3G Data Roaming (SIR CODY)

Used
  0KB   / Unlimited

Remaining
Unlimited

Journeyman

If you are roaming that is not the case....so the misreprensentation is still true.  I have the letter to prove it.  I have been a customer for 9 years and this is how our break-up happens.