Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ETF for?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is the ETF for?

My understanding of the ETF was not to penalize the consumer for choosing another carrier.  It was set up because when you sign a new contract you get a new phone at a discounted rate.  For example an Iphone 4S 32gig would cost you $749 without contract but only $300 with contract.  So if you then decide to leave then you wouldnt be leaving with a $750 phone for only $300 bucks.  I guess let me know if I am wrong about this cause this is what Sprint did.

I have two lines on my plan.  They are staggered though.  Meaning one line was due to be renewed this month.  The other line will be in contract until Sept 2012.  So I have sprint give me this employer discount.  But they renewed both my lines but did not upgrade the second line.  So when I call to find out how much for the ETF on my lines, I am told $700.  What?  How can you charge me $350 ETF on a phone line with a phone that is 15 months old????

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Master

What is the ETF for?

The early termination fee is on all contracts with sprint  wheter you get a new device or not.   There are some things that cause a contract to renew.   Getting a discount on a phone is one of them.  An other is when you go to a company discount.  When that happens you are being given a discout rate for service.  It does not effect when your device will come up for an upgrade.  but it  does reset the contract termination fee.   You should have been infomed of the contact renewal at the time you  requested the discount.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is the ETF for?

I was not.  I would not agree to a $350 termination fee on a phone line with 10 months left to the contract.  So in 10 months I will have two options for that second phone line.  To either renew for another 2 years to get a new phone.  Or to keep that phone for an additional 14 months under the contract.

I understood that I was renewing contract for my 1st line.  I just received a new upgrade for that line.  But why would I renew for a phone line with a 14-15 month old phone and be stuck with that old phone and agree to a $350 cancelation fee? 

The way Sprint thinks is just crazy.  Its ok though.  I had sprint take off that discount and set my account back the way it is.  My decision now is to sell my iphone and pay the $460 ETF's for both of the lines.  Or keep sprint for 10 more months until my second line is no longer in contract.  Then pay about $150 to cancel my first line.  This will depend if I can sale my iphone or not to recoup some of the lost money.  Also switching to at&t will save me $10 a month which will be $240 saved in a two year contract.  I don't know for sure but will assume at&t will get better than 100kbps to 500kbps for data speeds also.

So Sprint's stand is that the ETF is not because the customer is getting a phone at a discounted rate?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: What is the ETF for?

Did you do all this business over the phone or in a store?   AND....which plan with ATT are you signing up for that will save you more money than Sprint? im genuinely interested...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did this over the phone yesterday.  The supervisor was suppose to call me back in an hour but that never happened. 

As for the price breakdown.  I have 2 lines.  And this breakdown will be not including taxes and surcharges from either company.  So Sprint is $129 a month.  So $130.  Then add on the additional $20 for both my lines for the premium data charge that is at 100kbps to 600kbps by the way.  So for Sprint you are looking at $150 before taxes and charges.

I do not use alot of data.  Never really have.  I looked back at my last 4 statements and neither one of my phones have hit a gig of data and we averaged about 100 shared anytime minutes.

So if you look at at&t.  They have 550 anytime minutes.  These are also rollover and they have free mobile to mobile and nights/weekends like sprint has.  So I feel 550 anytime will be enough for my situation.  That is 59.99 a month or $60.  Then add on $30 for the family unlimited texting.  You are now at $90.  Then you will add $25 for each phone for 2 gigs of data.  So thats an additional $50 and will put your bill at $140 a month before taxes and charges.

Again it depends on people's situation.  If you need 3 lines then you would be looking at $25 more for data.  If you use alot of anytime minutes then 550 might not work.  But for me, this plan will work just fine

Highlighted
Journeyman

i suggest you meander over to the AT&T forums and do your homework.  All carriers have their issues...includinf AT&T. Sprint has some incredble plans for the future. Hope you are able to stick with them, ride out the rough patches and rise up with them in the future.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep.  Was actually about to head over to there forums.  I stil havent made a decision yet.  If I didnt have $460 in ETF's I would probably be at at&t already.  But I have to weigh the money with the inconvience of the sprint network right now. 

I know at&t has had issues with dropped calls.  I dont really have an extended friends/family and just don't talk on the phone much at all.  I'm at work 9 hours a day and my phone does not get reception at my job so for that time I have no phone unless I go outside.  I know at&t gets a signal here though.

My biggest thing is the data speed.  My wife sent me a pic.  I got it two days later.  I tried sending pics yesterday.  I had to resend them a couple of times.  I don't use to much data.  but what I need is a company to be able to provide me the data speeds when I do need them.  So if at&t can provide me with quicker data speeds and make my bill $10 cheaper. why not?

I rather not leave sprint.  I have no reason to besides their network.  What more can you say?  If your network is 100kbps slow.....then it is what it is.  How can you argue that?

Have any of you who have 4G on a regular turn that 4G off and give your 3G a try?  I use to think it was my old HTC Hero phone that was slow.  I put up with it for two years.  Got my new Iphone and still the same thing.  For the most part I cannot use the internet unless I'm at home on wifi. 

I was averaging between 100kbps to 600kbps with spike in between.  I even had one speed test come in at 5kbps.  I put my phone on my wifi.  Tests come back at almost 21000kbps.

I can put up with 100-500kbps.  But dont believe it is worth $170 a month

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also my understanding is Sprints plan's for the future is suppose to be done (if it stays on schedule) sometime in 2013.  About two years from now.  So why not go to a different carrier to get a decent network while Sprint pulls their customers through their current network construction.

I mean, do you get any kind of perk for being a long term sprint customer?  Does sprint offer you a premier plan anymore?  Do they offer you any discount for your continued contracts with them?  Would I be treated any different from sprint in two years if I leave and come back as opposed to if I stay through the rough 2 years to come?  I'm a 6 year customer who payed for a $32 activation fee on my 6 year old line just like a new customer pays on their brand new phone line.  I also paid $35 to return a defective phone.

I guess I'm missing the perk of staying with sprint other then unlimited data which I dont/can't use anyways

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.